Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nomansland92
    replied
    Originally posted by muuris View Post
    Nice to hear about this, especially being mostly enjoyed. Too many builds of this stage end up being collecting dust and/or being broken all the time :D

Regarding the transfer case blow ups, you don't have any logging of the wheel speeds in this? Although the added gears most likely will solve the issue anyway.

ya I will stay this car has treated me very well and I have gotten a lot of time to enjoy it. Actually both of them that I broke were not even under power. One was backing up a gravel driveway and one was going around a water box on a drag strip. But I think the hard shifts weakens them until it finally randomly gives up.

Leave a comment:

• muuris
    replied
    Nice to hear about this, especially being mostly enjoyed. Too many builds of this stage end up being collecting dust and/or being broken all the time :D

Regarding the transfer case blow ups, you don't have any logging of the wheel speeds in this? Although the added gears most likely will solve the issue anyway.

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Since I haven’t updated this in years I figured it’s a good time. After the fire I repainted the car and put it all back together with the haltech nexus and have mostly just been driving and enjoying the car for the past few years. Not much has charged other than a few small changes.

I’ve broken a few transfer cases now. Each time it was the planetary gears that exploded. This time I I had some machine work done to double the amount of planetary gears and so far it’s holding up.

the only real change was adding paddle shifters, this was not easy task so say the least. I started by ordering a hand full of cheap random clock springs from eBay then cutting them up and making on fit. I had to remove the steering lock to have enough room but it’s a race car lol.

future plans with the car is to swap to a new transmission controller when someone finically gets one figured out. And I’d like to at some point refresh the motor and swap to a roller car so I can rev this thing out to at least 8k because this motor loves the rpm. Even at 7500 the power isn’t dropping off at all. But unfortunately that's not in the budget at the moment so i can only dream for now.
    Last edited by nomansland92; 03-21-2024, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Some of the coolest builds come post-engine fires. Glad you're keeping with it! It's a huge inspiration to me.

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I'm shocked at how well that cleaned up, nice that you can take the opportunity to upgrade as well
    Yep, completely necessary upgrades 😁 Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I'm shocked at how well that cleaned up, nice that you can take the opportunity to upgrade as well

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuffy View Post
    The resilience of the iX community never ceases to make me smile. Keep killin it dude! If you need a spare donor harness I think I have a few in my storage.
    Thanks for the offer but a new haltech harness is on the way, along with some other haltech goodies. We'll just say my shopping cart was a little more that i should have spent lol. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
    as of now I'm just going to bolt it back up and turn the boost up because I'm pretty sure that solves most issues.
    100% Accurate.

Glad to see its not as bad as it first appeared

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Doesn't look too bad, that fire could have been a lot worse!
    Ya I got incredibly lucky! My 2.5lb fire extinguisher ran out and there was still a pretty big fire I thought it was gone completely. Luckily I had a gallon of coolant in the trunk that got it under control till eventually someone drove by and had some water with them to get the fire completely out. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Doesn't look too bad, that fire could have been a lot worse!

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    What an amazing iX! You will rebuild it. Make it better than it was. Better, stronger, faster. :)

Leave a comment:

• Stuffy
    replied
    The resilience of the iX community never ceases to make me smile. Keep killin it dude! If you need a spare donor harness I think I have a few in my storage.

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Well after some diagnosis I got good news id say. Found the culprit to be a injector oring failed. I believe I over tighten the fuel rail and caused the rail to sit at a slight angle over the injectors. I'm going to change the mounting setup now. Also after lots and lots of cleaning and polishing I can't believe how well it turned out. Will need to repaint the front clip but honestly it was starting to get beat up from rock chips anyway. The wiring took the most of the damage so of course while its apart time for some upgrades. Have a few issues with the head but there not related to the fire, apparently I twisted the entire head casting by almost .015thou 😔. as of now I'm just going to bolt it back up and turn the boost up because I'm pretty sure that solves most issues. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Conrad311
    replied
    that's painful to see. I hope you can sort it out with out too much trouble.
    On the upside it wasn't in the garage or by the house when you weren't around

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X