E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrautnotRice View Post

This thread has been nothing but inspirational!
    Thanks, hope the details help others down the road.

So, roughly 400 miles on the new setup yesterday. Everything survived. I think my catch can is rattling on the frame, which put me on edge for the first few miles. Box doesn't APPEAR to be contacting the hood (I feel like 400 miles would show it) but I'll still be keeping an eye on it. Definitely no booster contact.

My filter box turned out to be a snafu. I was able to cut the carbon down on a tile saw with very good results. The 4.625 OD filter crammed into the carbon fine, but then wouldn't fit the 3" insert that allowed the clamp to be tightened. After lots of finagling, the rubber portion of the green filter just degraded right in my hands. That pretty much killed it for now. Was disappointed, but that's what backups are for. Threw the Airaid on there, and called it good. I'm sure I'll still fiddle with the headlight inlet and the box itself, as the IAT's proved to be a significant issue on the dyno.

The car actually did require a decent amount of retouching to get the fueling correct (I may have had a wideband issue), and was on the dyno for just over an hour and a half. I had a blower fan running over the bay to try and mitigate some of the heat, and I'm sure I'll be losing power to IAT creep on the street (IAT's would shoot up over 170 on some runs, could also be a sensor issue I suppose). With some coercing, the car ended up making ~180 whp on the nose, and 165 ft-lb. That's roughly +7hp/+2ft-lb peak, but the real story is the gains under the curve. We saw gains of 5-10 hp/ft-lb all across the power band, but the biggest were in the 2-4k rpm range. All pulls were done in 4th gear. IMPORTANT TO NOTE: I'm out of injector at roughly 5800 rpm. The stock 13lb injectors are at 100% duty cycle beyond that point (tsk tsk, I know). The car is hanging out at 13.2:1 from then on. Not a huge concern for me at the moment, but we found that the car liked more fuel up top and we couldn't deliver. It will probably be worth sourcing some cheap S52 or mustang injectors and getting back on the dyno to squeeze the other 2hp out of it, not to mention the benefit of having fuel headroom. This could probably also be achieved by running an aftermarket FPR and bumping the rail pressure a bit, but that's janky imo. The black is my highest pre airbox run, don't mind the torque flying off the handle at the end, I think the pickup took a shit. Also worth noting that these dyno runs are one year apart minus about a week, so theoretically the air conditions should be similar. On the street, the additional midrange is noticeable in 4th and 5th, and a 1st-3rd pull puts your butt in the seat a bit more. The difference between driving with the airbox pre-tuning and post tuning is noticeable as well, I would definitely recommend getting on a dyno vs. running your open trumpet tune with this setup. Overall I'm pleased with the result.

Last edited by 318aye; 05-11-2016, 09:16 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

so +5-6hp and 5-7 ft-lb across the board, as well as a fat midrange rpm torque bump with the airbox compared to open trumpets?
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        so +5-6hp and 5-7 ft-lb across the board, as well as a fat midrange rpm torque bump with the airbox compared to open trumpets?
        Less tq than that peak, but yeah pretty solid mid range gains under the curve. I was impressed that it bumped the ENTIRE power band. Has juuust enough extra grunt now that you can tell the difference.
        sigpic

Comment

I wonder if I can sleeve my dbilas ITBs.. clearly the bores are too big. you're RHDs 40 or 42mm?
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            I wonder if I can sleeve my dbilas ITBs.. clearly the bores are too big. you're RHDs 40 or 42mm?
            I believe my throttles are 40mm, but my spacers taper out to 42mm to meet the trumpets.
            sigpic

Comment

Nice to see you still making gains on the engine. How/where do you have your IAT sensor set up now? And I have a set of refurb'd pink top injectors that I used for maybe 10k miles I could get to you at the Vintage.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Those are good gains across the board and exactly what I saw with the trends (gains across the board) when I did mine .
                Last edited by digger; 05-11-2016, 02:49 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  Nice to see you still making gains on the engine. How/where do you have your IAT sensor set up now? And I have a set of refurb'd pink top injectors that I used for maybe 10k miles I could get to you at the Vintage.
                  It's barely visible in the passenger side pic, between runners 2 and 3 behind the dipstick. There are earlier pictures that show it. Just a hole in the aluminum back plate secured with a spacer and an NPT "nut" I made. Throw them in the car if it isn't too much trouble, I'm sure we can work something out.

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  Those are good gains across the board and exactly what I saw with the trends (gains across the board) when I did mine .
                  Yeah, Rama was impressed as well. Really makes me want to figure out the CAI ducting issue. After reading your thread, I couldn't agree more on the power vs. noise issue. I definitely enjoy the fatter midrange torque more than I miss the yelling.

Side note, what injector flow rate are you running?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                    It's barely visible in the passenger side pic, between runners 2 and 3 behind the dipstick. There are earlier pictures that show it. Just a hole in the aluminum back plate secured with a spacer and an NPT "nut" I made. Throw them in the car if it isn't too much trouble, I'm sure we can work something out.

Yeah, Rama was impressed as well. Really makes me want to figure out the CAI ducting issue. After reading your thread, I couldn't agree more on the power vs. noise issue. I definitely enjoy the fatter midrange torque more than I miss the yelling.

Side note, what injector flow rate are you running?
                    i'm running 30lb Bosch 0280155759. 19lb should be plenty for you unless you are going to be squeezing a fair bit more out of her

what diff ratio, wheel and tyre size are you running?
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      i'm running 30lb Bosch 0280155759. 19lb should be plenty for you unless you are going to be squeezing a fair bit more out of her

what diff ratio, wheel and tyre size are you running?
                      I could see building a stroker with headwork down the road. Will probably come down to how cheaply I can score oem 19 or 21 lb'ers.

I have a 3.73 with a 205/50/r15.
                      sigpic

Comment

Cleaned up some ancillary items today. Also found a nice trick for getting door handles back on easily, using a rubber engine bay grommet behind the handle bracket held them perfectly.

sigpic

Comment

How did you prep them for paint? What paint did you use?
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                            Probably not the best, but the handles and wipers got mineral spirits and a thorough cleaning. Lip was 180 up to 400 grit, then soap/warm water. SEM Trim Black.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post

I'd also like to know as I'm about to restore those same bits plus my mirrors very soon.

Great write up so far!
                              -ALaS

Comment

Interesting. Nice to see that the airbox finally helps. I assume now with the airbox on the street you are no longer having heat soak issues with the trumpets?

Comment

Working...
                                X