No announcement yet.

M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some jell-o shots will take care of those hands.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Went to pull out the busted guibo last night, and realized the new one I ordered was the wrong size I got sloppy and ordered a guibo at the same time I ordered my oil pan gasket, and of course I was looking at the same e34 535i chassis on realoem.com... Time to see if I can exchange it.

Comment

Do'h! New, correct part on order.

I also ordered older plugs and my LC-2 wife and controller.

Comment

you got an LC-2 wife/controller??
          cars beep boop

Comment

Lol, autocorrect on a phone does great things

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              I borrowed an engine beam from a fellow r3v'er in preparation for pulling the subframe, oil pan, and tapping the block for the turbo oil return.
              GOOD Man!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Good things! Yay! I picked up all my parts from the coaters today, It came out looking fantastic.

Manifold

Wastegate elbow

Turbo up-pipe

Turbine housing in a 1600F black coating

Back on the turbo

Intercooler in a special heat transfer coating

Also got the guibo replaced

Comment

Wonderful progress!
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Every part looks so good.:up:
                    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Looking good! I might copy you on the oil catch can idea. I've been playing with the idea for maybe a year, but after reading the negative effects that AK was having, maybe I'll put it up higher on my list.

What I was going to do for more air flow to the engine bay was to hack up an old fog light housing and use a duct to direct more air up to the filter. I'd also like to remove my high beam, but I think the fog light idea would work just as well without sacrificing high beams.

Also plan on getting an oil pressure unit and tapping it exactly where you did. Smart.

And wow, I can't believe I've never seen the IE oil cooler adapter cap. That is seriously cool, might have to pick on up and an oil cooler to boot. Thanks for the info.
                      Last edited by ZenitramNaes; 03-08-2015, 02:33 AM.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                      Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Can't wait to see this running.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Things are going to go a bit slow for the next 7 days as I wrap up the school term and finish my papers & projects, but I'll have a bit of extra time in the evenings after work during spring break.

Comment

Right, time to address the fuel injectors. Stock m30 orange injectors are 19lb/hr, and the Miller tune I have is designed for 36lb/hr. Thankfully sho24vdohc had a nearly new set in the FS section that I was able to snag for a very reasonable price (plus the matching tune to boot!).

Here they are side-by-side:

Note the difference near the top. I had never noticed this before, but there are slight differences between certain model Bosch injectors. Some have 2 slots near the top, some only have 1.

This becomes a problem when you go to clip the injector in to the fuel rail. Stock injectors fit great.

But the new injectors with the single slit don't work with the clips

Fortunately the rail itself is bolted to the intake manifold, and this creates enough clamping force to keep the injectors from popping out of the rail. The clips are really just a kind of fail-safe.

M30 fuel rails attach to the manifold in 3 places via some ears on the rail. There's one between cyl. 1-2, one between 2-3, and one between 5-6. Unfortunately the 5-6 mounting ear on my rail was broken off, meaning there would be little to hold the rail (and the injectors) firmly in place near the back of the engine.

So a trip to the junk yard and $13 later, I had a new fuel rail.

Top Tip: To help seat your injectors, coat the o-rings in oil. it makes it 10x easier to push everything together.

And all put together on the new rail

Comment

I also took the time to install new colder spark plugs. I've always been a fan of Bosch copper-core plugs, but the 745i guys over on bf.c swear by these NGK plugs for their motors. NGK p/n is 5534. http://www.amazon.com/NGK-5534-Spark...words=NGK+5534

Comment

I just had the exact same injector issue and thought I was crazy. I bought some Bosch 315cc injectors from a Volvo 5 cylinder turbo for my M20 turbo project and they only have the one slot. Do you feel comfortable putting them in with no clip?
                                1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
                                1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
                                1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
                                ...And a couple others...

Comment

Working...
                                X