Wannabe30's s54 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wannabe30's s54 swap

I guess I've got far enough and have enough photos to start a build thread so here it goes!

Car: 89 e30 325i

Had an s52 with a zf 5 speed and the plan is to reuse the tranny.

S52 out:

S54:

Of corse doing the rod bearings and it was definitely time:

Decided to delete the power steering:

Egr block off:

Oil cooler adapter for AN fittings:

Crossmember and pan modified by arc asylum:

Pan and crossmember installed:

Engine arms on:

Comparing the z3m s54 arms with the e46 arms:

Installing all the front suspension back:

Can't forget some candy... Lollipops for better exhaust clearance:

The front mount sway bar is not lining up so I called it quits for the night... Not sure what to do about this for now:

Still figuring out what radiator if I even change it out along with coolant hoses and wondering where to install the temp sensor. Thinking about on the thermostat housing but not sure yet.

Also I still need to order a massive booster delete, fuel pump and regulator. But other than that I have everything else needed.

Will post more as I make further progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WannaBe30; 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM.

Epic

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Nice work so far man, I'm doing the same swap, had issues with dropping motor in with trans and headers attached, so I ended up unbolted them and installed the bare motor.

I havnt installed the sway bar but looks like it needs a custom sway bracket that will bolt up on both side.

Keep up the good work, I'll be in here checking on ur progress since mine will be stopped until I get back in the states.
      sigpic
      E30love

Comment

Yes I was going to wait until the motor was in before I bolt up the headers but I will probably bolt me up before as a test fit to make sure there's no issue on the trans. Someone said they had to trim down that ear on the side of the tranny.

What headers did you go with? I'm using eBay and just wondering if you had to cut them up at the end to get them to fit?

Comment

Since u have access to a lift why not just bolt motor to subframe and side that baby up in there?
          sigpic
          E30love

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBe30 View Post
            Yes I was going to wait until the motor was in before I bolt up the headers but I will probably bolt me up before as a test fit to make sure there's no issue on the trans. Someone said they had to trim down that ear on the side of the tranny.

What headers did you go with? I'm using eBay and just wondering if you had to cut them up at the end to get them to fit?

I'm also using ebay headers, bought them used and already modified so I assume youll need to im guessing btw.

sigpic
            E30love

Comment

Looks great man. Sub'd for more.

Comment

Not bad at all. Loving the progress!

Comment

I am more familiar with putting the motor in from the top. I did drop the s52 from the bottom by myself and was easier than I thought but either way I need to bolt all the front end back up because I am helping my cousin change his rear end.

I can't exactly move the car from the lift unless it's all bolted up. Plus a test fit is always important and glad I did because one of the brackets on the modified crossmember for the steering rack was off and I had to bend it a little and re work it.

That said I think I will still put it in from the top I have a forklift so it's pretty easy either way.

Comment

Also a big thank you to andrew325is for the wire harness and his awesome write up

As well as jb325is for his write up

Most of the motivation and information between an s54 and s52 swap comes from their build threads and advice.

I'm pulling a bit from each of their routes to do this project

Comment

Looks good so far! Can't wait to hear it come to life!

Comment

who makes the lollipops?

Comment

Pretty sure they're tree house racing

Comment

Freaking subbed!
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I regret every giving you shit about the taillights

Originally posted by Neil1138 View Post
                              Looks great man. Sub'd for more.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X