Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    I dunno I care about the environment hehe. The cats are new aftermarket and running on e85 it should be pretty clean.

I might gain 5hp by taking them off, and I prefer healthy lungs over 5 extra horse power

Honestly I think climate change could have a serious impact on our generation. I'd feel better about myself knowing I spent the extra money for the good of the earth. Guess I'm a stupid hippie that way
    Fair enough. You're a good person.

Exhaust v2 for this car will include cats. I originally planned on using my e36 midsection and exhaust but scrapped that due to the unacceptable fitment. I needed the car on the road asap and my bank account was crying so corners were cut :/
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Here is the thread on bimmerforums discussing proper exhaust ccv setup:
      http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-where-is-best
      The conversation got pretty technical and very interesting. I'll be installing it this weekend.

And playing with a new toy :D

Shadetree30

Comment

Interesting. So basically a pure exhaust ccv is finicky and hard to get right.

My buddy runs 2 catch cans and vents to atmosphere on his 900hp drift car, so I guess there isn't much to be gained from vacuum.

I think I'll run a vent line down under the car to prevent smell.

Comment

Interesting. So basically a pure exhaust ccv is finicky and hard to get right.

My buddy runs 2 catch cans and vents to atmosphere on his 900hp drift car, so I guess there isn't much to be gained from vacuum.

I think I'll run a vent line down under the car to prevent smell.
          We shall see! I am optimistic that it'll work in some capacity. The effort to get it to work here is also less out of necessity (though it seems to be the convenient solution for me) and more as a little research and development which will be applied to my SCed e36 which will be getting overhauled in the coming months.

I used to run a vent line under the e36 like you mention and eventually ditched that for the catch can because I could still smell it, and worse, it would slowly drip oil. While you're driving, that oil droplet hits the air flowing under the car and splatters spectacularly all over the place giving a nice coating of oil under the car which turns into a thick layer of grime.
          Shadetree30

Comment

She's alive!

Driveline vibration gone. Engine ticking gone. PS leak gone. Though now I have a slight steering wheel vibration...

Still to do: odometer, AC, exhaust CCV

I'll tackle exhaust ccv this weekend and hopefully pull the cluster to see which replacement gears I need.
            Shadetree30

Comment

I'm curious about the steering wheel vibration as I've been experiencing the same thing.
              How are your lines routed?
              One of my my low pressure lines is routed over the engine mount arm but not sure if that would cause my problem.
              Project
              Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                I'm curious about the steering wheel vibration as I've been experiencing the same thing.
                How are your lines routed?
                One of my my low pressure lines is routed over the engine mount arm but not sure if that would cause my problem.

No kidding. My high pressure line goes over the motor mount arm. The reservoir is mounted with e36 bracket in the e36 location. The low pressure return from the rack to the reservoir had to be bent a bit and I think it might be kinked too much. Though I don't think any of this would cause vibration.

I actually suspect that it's more likely I installed a wheel ever so slightly cocked. The wheels use centering rings and I think I've done this before where it wasn't on perfectly centered and vibrated. That said, it wasn't doing it all the time. At 80 mph on the highway it would kinda come and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Shadetree30

Comment

Going to order a new barbed banjo fitting to get rid of the kinked PS line though

Shadetree30

Comment

Paid Ireland engineering a visit after work friday. Got a nice tour, saw some cool projects and picked up some parts!

First time doing real welding with the mig. It was lovely. One side looks a little messy - that was the first side I worked on. Second side went easier and cleaner.

Shadetree30

Comment

Front 25mm bar

Front hardware

Swapping in an e36 pump I had lying around. Some comparison pictures of e30 vs e36 pump if anyone cares to see.

E30 on left, E36 on right

Popped the pump out of the bracket

Crimped some spade connectors to plug into the e36 pump

Done.

Hose clamps on the lines under the rear seat.... I replaced them all as well as the lines for peace of mind. Fuel line hose clamps branded "mexico" didn't seem safe to me.

Pulled cluster out for some R&R

Took it apart. Installed "dark chrome" gauge rings. They needed a dab of JB weld to keep them in place. I'm thinking I'll pop them out and paint them semi gloss black when I pull the cluster to do odometer gear repair. I'm not sure I really like the chrome in there. It doesn't feel right.

Soldered new SI batteries in

Back together. Also added alpina stripe to the tach. I love it. Also forgot to paint the needles red even though I made various notes to myself not to forget. I want them to match the VDO gauges.

SI shift lights (on order), odometer repair (on order), semi-gloss gauge rings and red needles still on the docket for the cluster.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 08-06-2015, 08:34 AM.
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Here is something I have been thinking about doing for ages but was always too busy with "bigger" projects to spend any time on it. The factory toolset is kinda pathetic IMO so I have been bouncing ideas in my head for a while. I had a bunch of left over tools from a HF toolset I got ages ago and decided to put them to use. So I cut out the original molding.

Put some tools in there (Don't know why the picture is upside down)

Put some more tools in there. Then thought about making my own custom insert... that's coming

Here's where I keep a breaker bar with 17mm socket to remove wheels if necessary since I have long studs and nuts.

I'm thinking here would be a perfect place to mount a bracket to hold it

Padded the tool box to keep everything from flying around

Shot of the cluster in the dark. Looks kinda cool with the reflection off the gauge rings.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

You can get an e34 toolkit, it's much larger and a direct bolt in, you'll just have to figure out the foam that holds em down. The kit is actually pretty good and has the most common wrench sizes. All I added was a screw driver with a selection of exchangeable bits instead of the tow hook / warning triangle. The only thing I don't have is a breaker bar for removing wheels, the bmw tool sucks for that.

Comment

You can get an e34 toolkit, it's much larger and a direct bolt in, you'll just have to figure out the foam that holds em down. The kit is actually pretty good and has the most common wrench sizes. All I added was a screw driver with a selection of exchangeable bits instead of the tow hook / warning triangle. The only thing I don't have is a breaker bar for removing wheels, the bmw tool sucks for that.

Is this it? I ordered it a few days ago actually.

Also just for fun I made a foam insert for the original tool kit I hollowed out. Maybe I won't cut up the larger toolkit. We'll see what fits.

Shadetree30

Comment

Yeah that looks like it. Mine is a bit different looking, but you can fit way more stuff

Comment

Yeah that looks like it. Mine is a bit different looking, but you can fit way more stuff
                                did some more researching. One I got looks like an e28 tool kit?
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X