Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    damn that shiftlight is awesome...

Indeed. Now I just wish someone made them for the e36... That car needs them much more than the e30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Just read your whole build thread. Inspiring to say the least!

Great work, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Just read your whole build thread. Inspiring to say the least!

Great work, keep it up!
        Thanks man! I'm happy to have the bulk of the mechanical stuff finally sorted out so I can work on cosmetics now :D
        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
          Thanks man! I'm happy to have the bulk of the mechanical stuff finally sorted out so I can work on cosmetics now :D
          Thats where Im at now too. Feels good!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thats where Im at now too. Feels good!
            I've been dreaming of this point for months. When the projects can finally be "fun" and "easy" and "simple" and "low cost" (that's relative) and most importantly, none of them are "vital to the operation or performance" of the car, therefore I can work on it whenever I feel like it
            Shadetree30

Comment

We need more pics. Lol I like this thread, you move pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                We need more pics. Lol I like this thread, you move pretty fast.
                Thanks man! I like to keep myself busy. I feel lost if I get home and don't have a pending project haha

All in good time, more pictures will come. I'm already contemplating an exhaust v2 in my head (euro headers, 3" tubing, all stainless, and incorporating some better design principles), and thinking of a BBK. I am leaning towards using porsche 996 calipers and powdercoating them white, fabbing my own brackets, and still need to figure out rotors. 300mm.de sells everything needed but at 800 euros just for the brackets and rotors it seems a little expensive to me. Plus I like the DIY challenge.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Lets discuss the euro header option because thats my next planned setup after I go through the BAR. I plan on still having cats and all that jazz, but I want a better flowing system than what I am forced to deal with today
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Lets discuss the euro header option because thats my next planned setup after I go through the BAR. I plan on still having cats and all that jazz, but I want a better flowing system than what I am forced to deal with today
                    fo shizzle

I've been dying to get my hands on a set ever since I let a pair slip through haggling over 50 bucks... that decision has haunted me for the last 2 years

been looking at the UK ebay and german ebay; there's a handful available on both sites and usually they are willing to ship but its like $100
                    Shadetree30

Comment

I have some top secret information I will share with you when you give me free parts ;)
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I have some top secret information I will share with you when you give me free parts ;)
                        omfg don't leave me hanging like that. I won't be able to concentrate on anything for the rest of the day now

Sidenote, also been wondering about some e46 headers. IIRC it's the same bolt pattern. Obviously it would need work which is fine, I'd only want the system for the headers, and would probably cut them right after the collector

^I would immediately dismiss this idea if I can get my hands on euro headers though - simon if you're playing with my emotions on the euro headers I will sabotage that evap canister

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-ST...16f10a&vxp=mtr
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Shadetree30

Comment

At it again with the cluster. This time to repair the odometer gears, paint the gauge rings semi-gloss black, paint the needles red and install the SI shift lights

Sanded the rings and sprayed some light coats.

It looked kinda cool. I was almost tempted to leave it like that.

Broken gear. That big black gear had like 3 teeth missing right there.

New gears from garagistic.

Old gears. I shot that small gear with a pen torch for a second to get it off. It wasn't coming off when I pulled lightly on it and I was afraid I'd break something if I forced it. The old gears are literally rubber moosh. I don't know how that happens. Especially considering half the gears are fine.

Installed the "tap" for the SI shift lights that pulls the signals it needs to operate.

Here's the rest of the board installed.

Another angle

New coolant temp sender to replace the URO brand one I installed when I installed the motor (no idea how I wound up purchasing URO - that brand is a mega POS). It was leaking coolant.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 08-21-2015, 08:23 AM.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Spent sunday morning in venice with a buddy detailing our cars. Wash, clay bar, and some chemical guys black light sealant. I forgot how damn good a car looks after a good detailing. That said, I also can see my clear coat is quickly dying... ~6 months ago I did a full paint correction on what clearcoat is left and it came out nice and glossy. I can already see the clearcoat has dulled quite a bit since :(

HF tent FTW. Best $60. I'll probably get another. Makes outdoor detailing so comfortable on a sunny day

We also did a small photoshoot

Gas station shot 1 day later

Some more powerfult amber LED H1 bulbs for the high beam DRL - the high beam bulb socket needs a little dremel action to allow space for these to slide in. I'll get to it eventually.

Herculiner to paint all the trim (front impact strips, door trim, rear impact strips and rear plate filler), the IS lip, fog deletes, maybe brake ducts, and the black stripe on the side skirts and lower rear bumper. Should look great and take abuse well.

Special relay to avoid the "hyper flash" when installing LED bulbs in place of normal bulbs. Dunno if this is something new within the last couple years but it's a much better solution to using resistors. This solves the problem at the source and is easily reversed rather than splicing wires. I ordered a second one for my e36 where I installed resistors years ago.

Picked up a pair of front struts to potentially make my own brackets for porsche 996 calipers. Now I just need hubs, figure out which 4x100 rotor to use, get calipers, get rear trailing arms, and then mock up front/rear brackets. So basically I still need everything haha

Still not sure I want to go this route. I might just use the rx7 brackets for rx7 calipers that I bought months ago - easier and cheaper for now. Though I like the bbk bling.... who doesn't?

Popped the steering column covers off for the new blinker relay

Forgot if I posted this item before - voltage meter.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

It's been a while since an update. Just returned from vacation.

I posted a thread in the 24v swap section to get feedback on my dyno chart and figured out a few things.

First, I never properly hooked up the vss signal to the ECU. I corrected that yesterday. DME pin 15 to the cruise control vss signal output on the back of the cluster. No longer getting a vss code when scanning for error codes (but I still get p0121 even after a new tps - this is something to deal with on a later date)

Second, I'm not really sure what my DME is. Apparently I bought it from a bimmerforums member who is the owner of kassel performance (I did not know that at the time) and he alluded that it was a markert motorworks DME and I didn't press him further. Going back to the PMs, he never straight up stated that it was indeed a MMW ecu. Add to that some of the history of that shop and their "business ethics" (google turned up a lot) and you're left with a very fishy situation.

Anyway, Dave contacted me after I posted the graph (and gave me the hint to check vss right off the bat). Initially he offered to make a small revision but after we figured out that all may not be as it seemed, I have decided to go with a fresh tune which will be done along with cams (I wanted to do this anyway). Bottom line, markert motorworks and dave are fantastic. We spoke on the phone at length and it was a very nice conversation to say the least. I wish I went to him from the beginning.

So, probably not much will be happening in the next few months (we'll see when I get time to do cams and tune). I got assigned a huge project at work that'll probably have me traveling every week m-f for the next 2-3 months so my free time will be limited to the weekends.

I'll wash the car and have it ready for van nuys meet this Friday and socal e30 car-b-q on saturday!

Meanwhile, I'll probably be slowly collecting parts for the next phases of the build (exhaust v2, tune, cams, 6-speed, track/autox wheels/tires, learning a bit of ms41 coding) and also collecting parts for a long overdue overhaul of my e36 (it's leaking oil everywhere among other things)

Stay tuned! (pun intended)
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X