No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure plate came back from fort wayne clutch. Cost me $100, a little more than the original quote of $45 but still better than the alternatives. THey added an extra strap, so there are now 3 straps at each point. It was hard to tell, but it looked like the 3rd extra strap is also a little thicker. The guy who did the work also mentioned that one of the original rivets was loose as he was disassembling the unit and he thought that was VERY weird.

Finally finished the bolt on core support!

Tacked a plate on the outer side of the inner fender for strength and to weld the receiving nuts onto.

And voila! Finally fully repaired! That was another feel good achievement

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Yesssss
      Singer Vehicle Design.
      Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

Amazing work I have always thought of doing a bolt on core support and you made it possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cali_e30 View Post
          Yesssss
          :D
          Originally posted by staysideways View Post
          Amazing work I have always thought of doing a bolt on core support and you made it possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thanks! There are quite a few examples of it being done around the forums. I've been considering modifying an extra core support I have to make it bolt in and selling it if I have time.

Flywheel came back from JBR looking pretty. Apparently you're not supposed to use loctite on the PP bolts for these because it could pull the helicoils out.

Added pins to the hood latch mechanism for easy hood removal and reinstall

Welded in one of the last plates. Still need to do the same to the other side. You can also see at the top of the photo where I cut the battery tray. I'll add a small lip around the edge like it was originally. PSA seam sealer is a pain in the ass to weld around if you don't clean every last speck of it out of the area.

Shadetree30

Comment

My favorite active build on R3v. Bronzit never looked so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
              My favorite active build on R3v. Bronzit never looked so good.
              Thanks man, much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
              Shadetree30

Comment

I did that hood pin thing and its so fucking easy to remove/install the hood now. I just need to take the hood ground and splice a connector into it, and something for the washer line and it'll be perfect.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  I did that hood pin thing and its so fucking easy to remove/install the hood now. I just need to take the hood ground and splice a connector into it, and something for the washer line and it'll be perfect.
                  Word. I'm excited to use it haha. I think you're overthinking the ground. Isn't there somewhere you can just bolt it and unbolt it without affecting the hood alignment? Washer line - I don't have any :D

So I got a little bit done. Welded the last major patch in place. Had a slightly easier time of it this time because I spent more time to remove as much of the seem sealer as I could. I also noticed that when welding to the thin metal of the wheel well, the undercoating on the inside of the wheel well likes to pop out of the weld into the engine compartment. I bet if I had stripped it from the inside of the wheel well it would've been even smoother welding.

Andddddddddd it seems life wasn't finished kicking me in the nuts. My other baby suffered some major damage yesterday morning on the way to work. Asshole cut me off, merging in front of me into my lane as traffic was slowing due to construction. Just as he merged (effectively cutting my safety buffer between myself and the car that was in front of me) the prius (now 2 cars ahead) hit his brakes suddenly which caused the nissan (who cut me off) to SLAM his brakes. At that point I was still way too close having not had any warning or time to get some safe distance. I slowed quite a bit (I have some very sticky tires and a wilwood bbk at all 4 corners on my team), but it wasn't enough. I swerved as much as I could without hitting the cars to either side and rear ended the guy, also pushing him into the prius (he was only a few inches away). My car is fucked, the nissan basically suffered a big scuff to the rear bumper and the prius got a small nick. Really shitty thing is that I saw that nissan way back and I was keeping an eye on him from my rear view mirror. He was weaving traffic until he got to the lane on my right, passed me and merged in front of me because his lane was slowing to a stop. Then as we were trading information he was smiling and smirking and attempted to introduce himself and shake my hand wishing me a good day and "nice crashing with you". It took all of my self control not to gouge out his eyes.

At the moment I am looking for a reliable e30 or e36 with working AC that I can drive for a month or 2 while I finish fixing the bronzit. My thoughts for the moment are to finish the bronzit. Then fix the e36 returning it to NA and keeping it clean and simple to become my daily (I just can't bear the idea of selling it or giving up on it), then eventually put the supercharger kit, and some of the other nice pieces on the bronzit. Then sell the beater e30.

Shadetree30

Comment

Sorry man

I think I am able to keep my 328i (knock on wood) from an accident because I am usually on the road before rush hour starts.

Damn. Given your skill set, you'll get it sorted.

Comment

Goddamn, your luck seriously is terrible huh. That really sucks, good luck getting the vert back on the road. Luckily the E36 core support is already a bolt in piece yeah? That should cut down on fab time!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                        I think I am able to keep my 328i (knock on wood) from an accident because I am usually on the road before rush hour starts.

Damn. Given your skill set, you'll get it sorted.
                        Yea, that's what I thought too. This was ~6:15am. Normally it's an easy drive, but there was construction causing traffic. Thanks, as long as there isn't structural damage, I'll take care of it.
                        Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                        Goddamn, your luck seriously is terrible huh. That really sucks, good luck getting the vert back on the road. Luckily the E36 core support is already a bolt in piece yeah? That should cut down on fab time!
                        Yea man. It's seriously bringing me down. Thanks for the sympathy! Yes, the e36 core support is bolt on :D so hopefully it'll be a simpler fix aside from sourcing all the parts.

At this point I'm thinking of turning the e36 back into a smog legal daily by removing the SC and reinstalling the original exhaust (which I still have luckily). And going beast mode on the e30 eventually installing the supercharger and using the e36 exhaust parts to build a sick exhaust system.

^thanks simon for the idea and for having the wisdom to see that solution ages ago
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Holy shit man, sorry to hear about the e36. That really sucks. :(
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

man i would have verbally assaulted that assclown. I hate how unbelievably selfish people are when they drive. Only they matter enough to be in front and never would it make any fuckin' sense to just kindly get behind the person next to you when merging into THEIR fuckin' lane!

I'm sorry for that wreck man. You're stronger than me cause I would have lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              At this point I'm thinking of turning the e36 back into a smog legal daily by removing the SC and reinstalling the original exhaust (which I still have luckily). And going beast mode on the e30 eventually installing the supercharger and using the e36 exhaust parts to build a sick exhaust system.

^thanks simon for the idea and for having the wisdom to see that solution ages ago
                              Trust me, Ive been in your shoes, so Im trying to help. Fingers crossed that you can get one of these cars back on the road quickly.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am assuming that you were labeled the one at fault? Too bad you didn't have a video camera in the car that way you could have proven he was driving recklessly.
                                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X