No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really hoping my clutch doesn't do what yours has done.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      Just the standard Sachs clutch for the e30. It's not the smoothest clutch I've driven. It is new about 8 months ago though so I feel like it's still breaking in...
      Really? how much do you drive? that shouldn't be chattering or still at the breakin period 8 months later.
      Originally posted by ST1G View Post
      I'm really hoping my clutch doesn't do what yours has done.
      You have a lightweight flywheel and m3 PP? what clutch disc?

I really don't know... I think it has more to do with how hard you're driving the car than anything else. I drive mine HARD. No mercy. And as I mentioned before, neither bimmerworld or UUC were surprised at all to hear it. Even mentioned a handful of cases where people broke pressure plates at the strap with the dual mass flywheel...
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

You have a lightweight flywheel and m3 PP? what clutch disc?
        I did a new m3 Luk flywheel and Sachs clutch. So it's just a straight stock set up in the clutch department.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
          I did a new m3 Luk flywheel and Sachs clutch. So it's just a straight stock set up in the clutch department.
          you're probably fine, its the lightweight flywheel that increases the stress since it does no dampening
          Shadetree30

Comment

you're probably fine, its the lightweight flywheel that increases the stress since it does no dampening
            Oh I see. That makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Really? how much do you drive? that shouldn't be chattering or still at the breakin period 8 months later.

I honestly think it's not the clutch but maybe a vacuum issue or something causing the car to fall short on responsiveness. When the car drives right, the clutch actually feels amazing.

Comment

I'm thinking a TPS, or a vacuum leak, or a fueling issue.

Comment

Awesome progress man! Oil pan issues are never fun. I neglected to reseal mine before throwing the motor back in and it's leaking a little bit :(. Ugh. I'm sure that can be fixed in a jiffy though!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Where did you get that evo wing?
                    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

I honestly think it's not the clutch but maybe a vacuum issue or something causing the car to fall short on responsiveness. When the car drives right, the clutch actually feels amazing.
                      I'm thinking a TPS, or a vacuum leak, or a fueling issue.
                      sounds more like a vacuum or ignition issue to me
                      Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                      Awesome progress man! Oil pan issues are never fun. I neglected to reseal mine before throwing the motor back in and it's leaking a little bit :(. Ugh. I'm sure that can be fixed in a jiffy though!
                      Yea its a bummer, and my fault for not having the skid plate installed. But good news is that the shop near work will have it welded and pressure tested by tomorrow morning so I expect the car to be back on the ground friday.
                      Originally posted by z28 View Post
                      Where did you get that evo wing?
                      Its a genuine zender evo wing made to resemble the e30m3 evo spoiler, but fits the regular coupe trunk. They come up for sale every once in a while or you can find a replica on ebay.

So some updates on other stuff...

I sent the modified pressure plate back to fort wayne clutch and they totally admitted fault. Apparently the rivets on the straps were installed improperly causing them to get loose. They went above and beyond though making things right. On top of totally refurbishing, cleaning and repairing the PP they also refunded me back what I paid for the modifications to begin with so that was nice. I'll have that clutch combo for sale soon.

FRSport sent the radiator back to koyo and its being inspected. I should get a refund there too.

Lastly I got some vband clamps for the exhaust. Trying to decide whether I want to install them while the car is on stands or not
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Vbands - I got them cheap off ebay. They look good to me though they also are male/female fitted for better sealing

Welded pan. Apparently when it was heated up for welding a bunch more cracks opened up/became visible :( but the shop pressure tested and said it was good so we will see. I also coated the welded area with epoxy to be safe.

Shadetree30

Comment

Vbands - I got them cheap off ebay. They look good to me though they also are male/female fitted for better sealing
                          I like the look of those. That lip makes it easier to keep the pipes lined up when assembling the joint. Care to point the way to the ebay listing? I need to acquire a couple for the new header.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                            I like the look of those. That lip makes it easier to keep the pipes lined up when assembling the joint. Care to point the way to the ebay listing? I need to acquire a couple for the new header.
                            In person they look ok. Not amazing but I guess you can't really argue on the price. I think they will perform just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331972450596...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Did my best to degrease the bottom of the car after it was soaked in oil from the cracked pan. This was not fun. Simple green wasn't really strong enough but I was afraid to use some of the more potent industrial degreasers for fear of ruining paint and underbody sealant etc. I still want to take it to get steam cleaned.

And yea, I installed the skid plate

Looks like my heater core has been leaking. I've been noticing small puddles under the car from time to time and recently noticed water coming from the drain spout above the trans. I have a new behr unit on hand

Snapped this on election night. Relaxing considering what was going on...

Decided to chop up the exhaust finally.

Chopped into pieces

Reassembling

And done. MUCH MUCH better. Now I can pull it from the car in about 10 mins with zero hassle. Joints are 100% leak free. No more struggle to pull apart slip joints. The whole thing is mounted way stiffer and more rigidly than it was before so it won't flop around and bump any of the chassis like it did prior. The hangers and rubber mounts I'm using now are much stiffer. It's also totally bolt on to oem points so I should be able to sell it easily in the future as a "bolt on" swap exhaust :D

Very happy, this has been bugging me for a long time.

Added another hanger here that I didn't have before.

Full system

Now I just have to replace the heater core and replace my clutch master cylinder (seems to be finally failing).
                              Shadetree30

Comment

great progress as always!

Comment

Working...
                                X