No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey man, I talked to you a bit at the track day Saturday, I had the other e30.
    I get to match a project with a person now lol. Glad you had fun, hopefully see you at more events.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Too bad he left out the parts where first, he couldn't keep up with a 27 yr old bimmer (I was in front of him for a while until I got stuck behind other traffic and hot pitted to get clear track) and second, he held up said 27 yr old bimmer and wouldn't give him a point by (I eventually caught up to him again and he wouldn't let me pass)
      I got you fam.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
        Hey man, I talked to you a bit at the track day Saturday, I had the other e30.
        I get to match a project with a person now lol. Glad you had fun, hopefully see you at more events.
        Whats up! I tried to find you later to check out your car and talk some more but you were gone or out on track. Definitely will be attending more events! I had a blast!

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        I got you fam.

My man.

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
        any chance you can show your exhaust hangers by the muffler? my exhaust is pretty solid but there is some play in the muffler section I'd like to get rid of.
        Sure. I used the OEM rubber hangars and brackets, but chopped off the muffler end of the brackets and welded them with flat steel bar. I put a hole/slot for bolt there and welded flat bar to the exhaust to bolt up to it. So now it's all oem mounted with left/right/height adjustment. I also added an additional hangar off the subframe where the original one was, but with a much stiffer hangar. Between the stiffer hangars, the vbands, new oem rear rubber bushings, and the additional rear hangar off the subframe the exhaust is WAY tighter and has far less play than before.

Furthest rear hangar by the spare tire well

Hangar near the rear driver tire

Hangar off the subframe
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Updates

Started disassembling my e36 and couldn't help but stare at this mesmerizing object

Koyo denied my claim on the radiator claiming a myriad of reasons all of with were ridiculous: not using oem coolant, improper mounting, blown HG, damage to rad core, and race usage among others. Just to be 100% sure I did a combustion gas test of the coolant.

Before:

After:

So that test came out strong negative. I expected no less.

To be sure the tester was working I breathed on it for a minute testing my breath. Apparently I am suffering from a leaking head gasket

:( looks like my trunk is leaking. Car was out in the rain.

Repurposed an old wheel barrow for the junkyard. Best idea ever.

Got a mishimoto 56mm radiator to replace the koyo. Lifetime warranty! Here it is side by side to a standard mishimoto e36 rad.

Now that I have a new radiator I could finish up the bracket for it.

Decided to go back to boosted brakes. Picked up a pedal assembly cheap since I needed an unmodded brake pedal.

Got a new ate 944 booster, shortened and threaded the shaft and welded another offset clevis (since the booster is mounted 1/2" offset for IM clearance)

Smashed a knuckle. It's been a while since this car drew blood.

Here you can see the revised fan mounting. I can no longer mount it directly to the radiator because the assembly becomes too thick to fit between the core support and front of the motor. Instead, the bottom brackets are bolted to the core support, and at the top I put some riv nuts in the core support and slotted the brackets so I can loosen the fan off the rad for removal, and after reinstalling the rad, I can tighten the fan back up against it.

Found a PCV hose at napa that worked quite well after some trimming for the brake booster vacuum source

Got to finally use this tool to hold the clutch pedal depressed while power bleeding the clutch master cylinder. Worked quite nicely!

Late night last minute track prep. Finished installing the radiator and fan. Replaced the clutch master cylinder again with an FTE unit since the febi unit was apparently DOA. Finished reinstalling the brake booster and changed back to the stock brake MC. Flushed and bled the brakes and called it a night.

Streets of willow was absolutely awesome!! Since it was my first "track day" I was in the blue beginner group. First two sessions were slow parade laps :( it was frustrating but understandable. Second two sessions were full speed with point bys only allowed on the straights (also understandable), however most people weren't very diligent with their mirrors and I wound up getting stuck in traffic somewhere every lap. I still managed to do a 1:33. After speaking to the organizers, they said I'd be able to move up a group for my next event with them, and probably move up another group for the third. I definitely have a lot of driver modding to do and probably a few more small tweaks to the car's setup (like bleeding brakes and setting f/r bias, bleeding the clutch, and small alignment tweaks). Somewhere along the line I also intend to do a roll bar/half cage, bucket seats and harnesses. The need for that stuff became clear after the first parade lap :p I was nearly flying out of my seat the whole time :D

Overall I am very happy with the car's performance! Mechanically it was rock solid.

Right after the last session, here were the temps. Oil Didn't pass 200 and water held solid on 180.

The next day I went to the supercar sunday motor4toys show and met some other enthusiasts for a drive.

Not sure how much work will get done between now and January, but the plans going forward are to finish up wiring the front harness, plumb and install the new PS system, plumb and install the new catch can and start making plans towards roll bar/half cage, bucket seats and harnesses.
          Shadetree30

Comment

awesome.....I had the right idea, but i used the stock steel (chopped up and welded to vibrant muffler) and yeah....its way too thin to actually support it. I'll add that to the list of shit to chop/weld soon! thanks man!
            89 325i 4dr s52
            02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
            21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
              awesome.....I had the right idea, but i used the stock steel (chopped up and welded to vibrant muffler) and yeah....its way too thin to actually support it. I'll add that to the list of shit to chop/weld soon! thanks man!
              Haha yea this is exhaust v1.4 for me. I think I finally got it right! Now I feel comfortable to do exhaust v2 incorporating those euro headers :D
              Shadetree30

Comment

Those damn euro headers... you better buy me a christmas present or something lol... I DO have this supersprint muffler that I would like to build a custom exhaust with. When should I come over? :rofl:
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Those damn euro headers... you better buy me a christmas present or something lol... I DO have this supersprint muffler that I would like to build a custom exhaust with. When should I come over? :rofl:
                  Hehehehehe they are mine FOREVAAA!! :devil: we can have an exhaust building party early next year
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                    Hehehehehe they are mine FOREVAAA!! :devil: we can have an exhaust building party early next year
                    Cool, it will give me time to buy a y-pipe, some 2.75" piping and a v-band for it all. Anything else I should start budgeting for?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Omg a saleen s7!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                      Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                      1967 2002 parts car
                      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Cool, it will give me time to buy a y-pipe, some 2.75" piping and a v-band for it all. Anything else I should start budgeting for?
                        hangars? Something solid like the ones I have. What's the current hangar configuration look like for the rear muffler?
                        Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                        Omg a saleen s7!
                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I know!!!! one of the og hypercars. I have a die cast 1:24 scale on my desk at work, next to a mclaren F1 LM :D
                        Shadetree30

Comment

At simon add some oval pipping to your list

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Awesome pictures and great update. That radiator support on top is pretty good looking. I think it's better than the stock mounts. I must have missed the page you made that on.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              Awesome pictures and great update. That radiator support on top is pretty good looking. I think it's better than the stock mounts. I must have missed the page you made that on.
                              Thanks! It sure looks better than the stock mounts. I actually started making it a while ago but never finished because I hadn't finalized radiator selection (because of the ongoing Koyo issue)
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Sold my seats last night, ordered some FRP bucket seats this morning. I was rich for 12 hours :P

I ordered a pair of Bimarco dakar seats, black with leather on the wear spots. Got to see them in person and sit in them since a friend of a friend has a pair. They're very nice. The seats are FIA approved which is a plus and extremely reasonably priced. Downside is they ship from poland and take ~1 month to arrive.

Planning on pairing these with massive's seat adapters to use the oem sliders (I still have them from the original seats). Also planning on a set of schroth clubman harnesses. Going to start prepping for the cage in the downtime waiting for the seats. Also started working on finishing up some more engine bay details and the PS system install.

Started by cutting holes in the bumper again :D

Also need to do a little hammering and bending to the valence. Hit a cone VERY HARD at the track shit happens, was gonna happen sooner or later. I abuse this car regularly. No garage queen here.

Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X