Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 Street/TimeAttack (+ E36 V8 Turbo Touring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer vacation is over... back to work and back to build the project.

I supposed to fabricate intake manifold right after the exhaust was done, but I ended up doing something else Now I felt like doing aluminium parts. Previously I did aluminium charge pipes for my friends E21 turbo and welding felt pretty easy, maybe because of the thicker material or gained experience :D Anyway...

Got to start from somewhere, cut hole for IC to throttle body -pipe:

Making plenum backplate:

Our hydraulic press channel

Now with integrated trumpets:

Next on to do -list are the runners, there's no too much space and I think I have to do some minor compromises.
    Facebook - MRT Engineering
    eBay - MRT Engineering
    Instagram - mrtengineering
    YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

...story of the intake manifold continues:

Tuned length 330mm:

eBay - MRT Engineering
      YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Man that looks well cool
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

:up:

Next thing was to make the airbox/plenum part. Space was limited but the volume will be near 9 liters when finished. I think there's no ultimate formula for calculating ideal volume, but 2-3 times the engine displacement should do when seeking at maximum power.

Started with two long radius elbows and a piece of straight tube:

Tried to fabricate a smooth air inlet transition piece, this should distribute air better than just an elbow welded to the bottom:

eBay - MRT Engineering
          YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

nice work!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
            --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

I just read through everything, the car looks amazing! i love every aspect of it.
              '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

I also read through the entire thread, very inspiring work!

Comment

Thank you all! :)

Lately I was browsing the interwebs looking for a throttle body to get the intake finished. No reason to go massive size flap so I wanted one to fit my alu elbows. I found a 80mm TB and same shop was selling v-band flanges suitable for the upcoming exhaust system, incidentally I found an oil filter relocation kit with thermostat, I think the blue color won't stay though...
                  eBay - MRT Engineering
                  YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

One busy month behind, but not with the car.. Some progress with cylinder head and intake manifold.

Along with some other laser cutting parts I finally ordered an adapter plate for the gearbox. I've machined a centering tool to align everything perfectly before marking the holes.

Earlier when starting to make the intake, I was talking about one minor compromise..
                    There was no enough room for the supercharger or atleast it would have been very difficult to mount it with all the piping etc, so I decided to get rid of it.

Now it's only this baby taking care of the boost production Custom 1.10A/R exhaust housing is on it's way.
                    eBay - MRT Engineering
                    YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

that last picture looks awesome

nice progress on the manifold

-
                      Project
                      Parts for Sale
                      Feedback
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

This build is getting me all hot and sweaty. I'm feeling things I've never felt before.
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

OH BOY S300sx?!?!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Thanks!

Yess it's S369 SX-E, proven to be good for 900whp :giggle:

Today I visited at the garage measuring and listing the bits needed to mount the new parts.
                            First note; my centering tool was slightly too big to fit crank bearing slot, need to machine max. tenth of a millimeter off:

Adapter plate test fit:

Found a pic how the intake manifold matches the port:

And as you can see in the earlier pictures cylinder head was full of dirt, dust and metal chips so I gave it a little wash:
                            eBay - MRT Engineering
                            YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

I ordered the turbine housing with typical BW marmon flange as it was the cheapest option, I was quite sure I can turn it into a 3.5in V-band:

Like this:

Gearbox adapter flange is now ready with threads and holes, I'll try to find some time to mount gearbox rear end into the chassis this weekend.

For the engine I found EV14 injectors which will allow me to finish the intake manifold (fabricating injector weld bungs, fuel rail and it's mounts). Injectors will be fed by two 380lph fuel pumps.

IGN-1A coils will ignite the mixture hopefully
                              eBay - MRT Engineering
                              YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Ok I've forgot to post few updates, but here's one video clip :)

eBay - MRT Engineering
                                YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Working...
                                X