Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Yours look like H&R super sports, that might by the difference
    That would be a manufacturing error though since they are marked 50406, which is the regular Sport Model Number.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

On a lighter note, first carwash since the swap and all the work I did, no leaks!

Comment

Try a set of h&r ix rears. They will raise the rear.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          Try a set of h&r ix rears. They will raise the rear.
          Thanks, did you see the pic of my rear springs, I dont think they should be that compressed under zero load, car just sitting parked.

This week I am going to disconnect the shocks to see if that is an issue.

Comment

Yeah it does look compressed too much but it is not. That is normal. The springs that are touching are dead springs and they are designed to compress like that. As long as you have a gap somewhere in your coils then you are good. Get a stiffer rear spring if you want it to sit higher. Either go with the H&R ix rear springs or H&R E36 rear springs. Or go with coilovers and dial in the exact height you want.

Comment

Yeah it does look compressed too much but it is not. That is normal. The springs that are touching are dead springs and they are designed to compress like that. As long as you have a gap somewhere in your coils then you are good. Get a stiffer rear spring if you want it to sit higher. Either go with the H&R ix rear springs or H&R E36 rear springs. Or go with coilovers and dial in the exact height you want.
              Ahh so the IX Springs and E36 Springs are higher? By how much?

Comment

They are stiffer, so they set your car higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                  Ahh so the IX Springs and E36 Springs are higher? By how much?
                  I don't know for sure but my guess would be somewhere between 1/2" to 1".

Comment

I don't know for sure but my guess would be somewhere between 1/2" to 1".
                    Thanks, I am going to disconnect shocks see if that is causing some of the compression. If it isn't I may try the ix rears, I hear the fronts are the same as the regular sports.

Comment

As others have said, that is normal for the rear H&R springs. Even my H&R OE Sports do that. H&R says that the dead coils are intentional and "working as designed". If you'd like to raise the rear a bit, you can opt for thicker rear spring pads (E46 rear pads are ~15mm) or adjustable rear spring pads via the aftermarket.

E30 spring pads come in various sizes (5mm and 7.5mm), but the ~15mm E46 pads are a direct fit. Based on the suspension geometry (springs being inboard on the trailing arms), you'll get a more-than-expected ride height increases with thicker pads. Meaning, going from 7.5mm to 15mm rear spring pads will actually raise the rear more than the 7.5mm difference between those spring pad thicknesses. Hopefully that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                        As others have said, that is normal for the rear H&R springs. Even my H&R OE Sports do that. H&R says that the dead coils are intentional and "working as designed". If you'd like to raise the rear a bit, you can opt for thicker rear spring pads (E46 rear pads are ~15mm) or adjustable rear spring pads via the aftermarket.

E30 spring pads come in various sizes (5mm and 7.5mm), but the ~15mm E46 pads are a direct fit. Based on the suspension geometry (springs being inboard on the trailing arms), you'll get a more-than-expected ride height increases with thicker pads. Meaning, going from 7.5mm to 15mm rear spring pads will actually raise the rear more than the 7.5mm difference between those spring pad thicknesses. Hopefully that makes sense.
                        I actually already have 10mm pads on them now. Maybe I will go to 15mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          I actually already have 10mm pads on them now. Maybe I will go to 15mm.
                          Cool, how much higher do you want to raise it?

Awesome car, by the way. I've been following this thread for a while and it's fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                            Cool, how much higher do you want to raise it?

Awesome car, by the way. I've been following this thread for a while and it's fantastic.
                            Not too much maybe 1/2" I am not a fan of the tucked wheels, I want to match the front.

Comment

Popped my head back into the thread and wow.

She is looking so nice! The Nagaro weaves look so damn good on Alpine.
                              90 Bronzit 325is
                              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

my h&r sports looked exactly the same under load. Irked me for sure but I was too poor to worry about it too much

edit: didnt realize there was a whole second page of people saying this is normal..well glad to not have contributed anything once again

Glad its running!
                                Last edited by wworm; 05-28-2019, 04:50 PM.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X