1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
    This is such an epic build. So glad I found it! Beautiful car and progress.

Mr. Wolfe
    Thanks, hope once it starts warning up I will have a ton more time to work. The goal is to have the engine in by May and paint done mid summer.

We just bought a new X5 so got constrained on the budget for a bit.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

No car updates lately, we have basically been traveling the entire month of February (and two weeks in January). I think I slept in my own bed 2 times this month.

Part of the reason we have been traveling is adding a new BMW to the family! Picked it up at the performance delivery center and made the long drive back to Chicago.

Now that the weather is warming up the suspension and 5lug are on the docket for March.

Then we get to the fun stuff of the actual swap!!

Comment

Saw your post on the Windy City BMW page. Congrats!!

The first BMW I ever drove was my moms 2001 X5 she bought brand new....she still has it!

You gonna get the wife out to any driving events this year?
        Took the wife to an event at Tire Rack last year hosted by the Michiana BMW CCA. She had only had her 328 xdrive about 2 weeks at the time. She loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
          Saw your post on the Windy City BMW page. Congrats!!

The first BMW I ever drove was my moms 2001 X5 she bought brand new....she still has it!

You gonna get the wife out to any driving events this year?
          Took the wife to an event at Tire Rack last year hosted by the Michiana BMW CCA. She had only had her 328 xdrive about 2 weeks at the time. She loved it!
          I absolutely will. She loves it, she loved being on the track at the PDC and wants to go back for the M Driving course that I took a few years ago.

Once the E30 is done we will bring to autocross events since she can drive stick as well.

Comment

Posted this in the car audio/ electronics forum but so far no luck, figured I would try here.

So, I installed my new stereo a few weeks ago, but for some reason the sub was not working.

I tried a few things, first I hooked my iphone directly to it (its powered) and it came alive. I was thinking ok maybe its the RCA cables, so I ran a new one outside the car directly to the head unit, no dice. I played with every single setting on my Pioneer DEH-8700BS turned the sub on and off, played with the settings for the cross over nothing.

So at this point I am thinking there is something wrong with the head unit. I have an old Eclipse head unit that the car came with I figured I would hook it up really quick to see if it ran fine with the other headunit.

Here is where I F'd up, completely my fault. I should have disconnected the battery but I was working quick and stupid.

As I had the 12v constant loose (the old radio was already grounded) the constant hit the chassis of the radio.

All the sudden the doors locked and alarm beeped. Nothing else no spark etc.

Well now the car is messed up. It starts and drives no problem. Oddly the central lock works sometimes, but I have no dome lights, no check control, no power to the radio (either one old or new). The OBC lights up when you start the car but there is nothing on the screen.

I checked all the fuses, nothing went, I changed them anyway. I am assuming that the light control module is shot, but would that mess up the OBC and the check control?

Not sure if my alarm is now shot and the lock control module as well.

What do you think?

Edit: Fixed, fuse 21 was bad but I also blew the alarm brain, fixed that we are good.
            Last edited by Staszek; 05-18-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Dome lights, OBC, check control, and radio memory are all on fuse 21. Double-check that it's no blowing, then start tracing wires I guess. Not much fun.

Comment

Just noticed your plates. Now I know who got it before me LOL. But I scored pretty nice one too.
                Attached Files
                1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
                1990 e30 325is
                1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                  Dome lights, OBC, check control, and radio memory are all on fuse 21. Double-check that it's no blowing, then start tracing wires I guess. Not much fun.
                  Yup changed fuse 21, thats not it :(

Comment

Originally posted by vitiokas95 View Post
                    Just noticed your plates. Now I know who got it before me LOL. But I scored pretty nice one too.
                    Haha I almost got the one you bought. I am not a huge Bulls fan but my wife is and she was a Luvable back in the day so since she bought me the car its kind of for her as well as me. Plus I am going with the black and red interior so its fitting.

Comment

So I finished my stereo install, tuned it every thing sounded great until I started the car then all hell broke loose. Massive alternator noise.

I have never heard alternator noise that bad. I attached a link to the sound so everyone can hear it, don't mind the music I dont know the stations around here yet because I mostly listen to iphone/sirius and that wasnt hooked up at the time so I picked the first station that had a bit of bass to tune.

So here is the thing, I get zero noise in position one (as expected), a bit of noise in position two, but really almost nothing which you will hear in the video, then when I start it just sounds crazy.

The car is grounded directly to the same location the battery is grounded to on the chassis and the stereo is grounded to the OEM radio ground.

So what are we thinking, the radio ground, or is the alternator going?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Bump from 60521. I'll have to look for that plate around the area. Mine is my handle here.

Comment

Originally posted by Twomato View Post
                          Bump from 60521. I'll have to look for that plate around the area. Mine is my handle here.
                          Thanks, you wont find it anytime soon since the engine is about to come out of the car and I wont be driving it anywhere, it spends most of the time in the garage because it doesnt run well at all right now.

I will look for yours!

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            So I finished my stereo install, tuned it every thing sounded great until I started the car then all hell broke loose. Massive alternator noise.

I have never heard alternator noise that bad. I attached a link to the sound so everyone can hear it, don't mind the music I dont know the stations around here yet because I mostly listen to iphone/sirius and that wasnt hooked up at the time so I picked the first station that had a bit of bass to tune.

So here is the thing, I get zero noise in position one (as expected), a bit of noise in position two, but really almost nothing which you will hear in the video, then when I start it just sounds crazy.

The car is grounded directly to the same location the battery is grounded to on the chassis and the stereo is grounded to the OEM radio ground.

So what are we thinking, the radio ground, or is the alternator going?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Its interesting that you mention this - I am using the exact same amp (grounded the same way) and have the exact same issue. My e30 was originally equipped w/a front mount battery. I only had the problem after moving the battery to the rear.

In for a solution.
                            IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
                              Its interesting that you mention this - I am using the exact same amp (grounded the same way) and have the exact same issue. My e30 was originally equipped w/a front mount battery. I only had the problem after moving the battery to the rear.

In for a solution.
                              Hmmm, is this Amp sensitive to being grounded by the battery?

Comment

Still having the stereo issue, I bought ground loop isolators, lets see if that works. It could be the amp because the Fosgate didnt make that much noise. I tried new grounds on both the radio and the amp, no change, and the noise is not there when the RCA jacks are disconnected from the amp.

Well I got frustrated and tired, just in time for a new part to come in!!! One of the last now NLA brand new dashboards with the new texture. Cant wait to get this thing in!!

[/url]

Since I was frustrated with the E30 I decided to clean a bit today. The M3 has been very neglected so I cleaned up the engine bay a bit.

[/url]
                                [/url]

Hope to get the dashboard in this weekend lets see!

Comment

Working...
                                X