Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e30 316 build x2 (m52/m50, turbo, 3pcs bottle caps etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the project videos in youtube about that engine removal and disassembly I told in previous post:

Comment

Are the normal timing marks on the m54b30 cam still available when timing an m50b25 with that cam? Also shouldn't you use both m54 cams as they are both an upgrade instead of using only one?
      Using only one high lift/bigger duration cam on the intake makes me think it's better for emissions because the exhaust gasses get re burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by iloveshaorma View Post
        Are the normal timing marks on the m54b30 cam still available when timing an m50b25 with that cam? Also shouldn't you use both m54 cams as they are both an upgrade instead of using only one?
        Using only one high lift/bigger duration cam on the intake makes me think it's better for emissions because the exhaust gasses get re burnt.
        M54 intake cam in M50 or M52 can be timed using the normal timing tools. You cannot use M54 exhaust cam on single vanos engines because the cam is for vanos. He has M50 intake cam installed as the exhaust cam. It has the same specs as the M54 intake cam and has a bit more duration and lift than M54 exhaust cam. It requires machining a little to correct the chain line and needs to be timed with a dial gauge.

And for Pazi: Great job with this car!
        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Both builds are absolutely amazing, really fantastic work especially with all of that rust!

It makes me happy to know that even someone who has the ability to do this level of work can still make a silly mistake like forgetting to oil the diff.

Comment

wow ... just wow ... amazing build.
            ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

You're a god damn scientist. Incredible work both repair and modding. One of the best build threads I've read. Keep it coming!
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by iloveshaorma View Post
                Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
                M54 intake cam in M50 or M52 can be timed using the normal timing tools. You cannot use M54 exhaust cam on single vanos engines because the cam is for vanos. He has M50 intake cam installed as the exhaust cam. It has the same specs as the M54 intake cam and has a bit more duration and lift than M54 exhaust cam. It requires machining a little to correct the chain line and needs to be timed with a dial gauge.

And for Pazi: Great job with this car!
                Like skarpa said. By the way the emissions don't matter in this case here in Finland because e30 is so old car that they don't have very strict emissions requirements here. And also the m54b30 exhaust cam has same specs as the m52b28 exaust cam, so even if you could somehow make that fit, it doesn't make sense. The s52 cams would be the best and easiest to install performance cams for m52, but it would be youte costly. S52 cams are about 600-700€ as new and I was able to get the m54b30 + m50NV cams for 150€ combined, so those are quite a bargain. Even if you would spend another 150€ to regrind the m54b30 intake cam to meet the s52 specs or even better, it's still lot cheaper option.

Originally posted by dishwab View Post
                Both builds are absolutely amazing, really fantastic work especially with all of that rust!

It makes me happy to know that even someone who has the ability to do this level of work can still make a silly mistake like forgetting to oil the diff.
                Originally posted by Coyote_ar View Post
                wow ... just wow ... amazing build.
                Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                You're a god damn scientist. Incredible work both repair and modding. One of the best build threads I've read. Keep it coming!
                Thanks a lot!

Comment

Love your cars. I stumbled across your youtube channel a while back, when you started to take apart the turbo. Everything looked really familiar, but it took me a while to figure out it was you.

Not sure how expensive shipping or exchange rate are, but you should be able to pick up a good set of s50us/S52 cams for $350usd if you try hard enough.

Edit: I was the guy who was asking about what boost you were running with stock headbolts
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Love your cars. I stumbled across your youtube channel a while back, when you started to take apart the turbo. Everything looked really familiar, but it took me a while to figure out it was you.

Not sure how expensive shipping or exchange rate are, but you should be able to pick up a good set of s50us/S52 cams for $350usd if you try hard enough.

Edit: I was the guy who was asking about what boost you were running with stock headbolts
                    Yeah I have tried hunting those s52 cams from ebay.com but they came up quite rarely. And when I have found set, the price is so high that it cheaper to buy new set from germany, because of the shipping costs and import tax. (no need to pay import tax, when I order from germany).

Whole s52 engine would be nice, because in Finland you are not allowed to fit euro s50 to non-M e36 or e30. But s52 would be ok when lied that it's m52b28 or even don't tell that you have swapped the m50/m52 engine :D

About those stock head bolts, I just remembered that guy in Finland got 636hp from his m50b30 using stock head bolts and stock headgasket (with custom fire rings made from mig wire). So the stock head bolts should hold for my use.

Here is one video of that car:

And in car video with older bit less powerful engine:
                    Last edited by pazi88; 04-12-2016, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Teaser:

Comment

In for next video!
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                          In for next video!
                          Here is the next part:

The process with the car is bit further than is shown in he video.

To get thew new bigger tires to fit with the e36 struts we needed to bring the wheel to the center of the wheel arch. To achieve that we changed the front wishbones to e36 M3 3.2 (EURO) ones. With those the wheel moves few centimeters:

Rear bushings are still from M3:

I replaced the shitty wideband lambda connector from KDFI port with straight wires to the Bosch LSU 4.2 connector to get the lambda work more robust. Also added wires for electronic boost controller and launch control. The third one is for extra digital input for future mods.

And now the car looks like this:

We will assemble the car to that point in next video which should be out next week so tune in.

Comment

Small update before next video. The ONE is now in driveable condition and has somekind of tune that it can be driven around. Also we needed to get the thing legally registered to Finland and to do that we needed to have dyno proofs that the car has less than 204 Hp at the crank with 0,5 bar of boost. Easier said than done because it made 310 Hp with VERY mild ignition advances with 0,7 bar of boost. But eventually we got the wanted result and the car is now legally registered to Finland with the turbo. Next we need to tune the car more and in next moth we will got to the dyno again and get the real results.

Here is one video from the dyno: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFTRzesn...en-by=sipasema

And some testing:

The 3.15 rear end ratio seems to be way too short. We will hit the rev limiter at ~220km/h with fifth gear so standing mile pulls are no go with that ratio.

Comment

Hoping to see The ONE at Saturday.

Correction, 28.5
                              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                              BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                              BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                                Hoping to see The ONE at Saturday.

Correction, 28.5
                                You will if the engine doesn't break before that :D

Comment

Working...
                                X