Project Lessmeister: 91 318iS Restomod w/ MTech2 and modern drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
    This is one of the most amazing builds I have ever seen. I really enjoyed going through your thread. Thank you for doing a journal on this incredible build!
    Thank you very much!

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    wy b ther no updates????
    I've been inundated with side work, much of it post sale fix ups on the vert I just sold on for another member here. The new owner is surprisingly particular and has needed a great deal of attention.

Unfortunately this weekend will likely be more of the same. I have all the parts for fabricating the rear exhaust section just need the time to do it. I have a very short completion list.

Recent turn over at work, and disciplinary measures leaving us short handed have also added to my work load and left me pretty tired come evening time at home. I just haven't have the energy on week nights.

There will be updates soon though....
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Rest up bud. We'll all still be here waiting..
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I did pretty much finish up the garage revamp though, I still need to build the second pair of doors for the far side cabinet but I'll do that after the E30 is done.

The gallon of Cherry Gojo and the aerosol spray paint cans help lend a sense of scale....

I'm absolutely loving this tool boxes. Working out of them with a car right there in front is most excellent.

Comment

Amazing build, thank you for sharing!
          sigpic

Comment

BattleWagon|1996 GT Vertigo

Comment

Yeah, I caught it about 30 minutes ago. Happy as a pig in shit! Big grin on my face!

Comment

This is as close to a figurative frame-up restoration as you can get on an amateur budget.
                Yup. Better than brand new. Beautifully done

Up your asking price
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Jordan, congratulations on the build, very impressive and you did a great job. I've been in the E30 scene for a long time too (late 90s), although I don't post here a bunch. This car might be my favorite one of yours. Again, big Kudos and a pat on the back for getting noticed by Jalopnik, nice!

Side note - I don't quite get the hate for HF tools and boxes either. I have a HF down the road from me, I have bought a LOT of stuff from them, and the only thing that ever didn't work as advertised or broke was a $19 palm sander, and they swapped it out for me no questions asked. Those boxes look super nice and I'd happily use those in my garage. I mean, it's a frigging tool box - if it holds tools, it is doing its job.

Again, congrats on the nice job you did giving that car a second chance at life.

Comment

I happened to run across the Jalopnik story last last night, and I spent around two hours reading the entire thread. Jordan, your dedication and attention to detail are second to none. My rebuild of my previous '87 325is-which wasn't anywhere close to the level of what you are doing here-was very time consuming, and was done when I was still single. I am now married and have two daughters, ages 4 and 2, and I completely understand how little time you have to spare to work on hobbies. To be able to accomplish all that you have done here is amazing.

Well done sir. Well done. I will now be impatiently waiting for every update.
                    Eric Giles
                    '20 M2 CS
                    '04 M3
                    '11 X5 35D
                    '87 325is
                    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Today I wanted to spend a good deal of time on the car but just didn't manage as much as I wanted. Some unexpected sidework snowballed.

None the less I got out there and crossed a bunch of small things off the completion list, then started with the C101 wiring.

I labeled each wire coming from the donor C101 while I looked over the diagrams and decided what was necessary and what was not. All of the folded over ended wires will be removed from the connector and left unused.

A little while later my friend Able stopped by and flashed MarkD's software (he emailed it) to the DME.

Tomorrow I hope to be able to prime the engine, power up the car and with luck run it through a test fire.

Comment

It's good to see you have full member status again. I've been away forever. I'm also glad those top mount pictures I took are still circulating. The only thing I will add is that once the strut mount starts compressing over time, head of the stud will make contact with the spring hat, causing a pop/grind. So, at least you'll know when they need to be replaced again. lol
                        -tim
                        Originally posted by Jordan
                        I like the stance
                        -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Well attempts fire the engine failed. I cranked it initially to build oil pressure prior to putting any fuel in the car.

Once satisfied there I added 5gal of 93oct to the completely dry tank and manually jumped the fuel pump at the C101 until I had full rail pressure.

2nd cranking no start. :-(

Currently looking back over my wiring seeing if there is something I missed or connected wrong.

Initial trouble shooting showed I have:

Optimal fuel rail pressure.
                          Spark on all 6 cylinders, moving in time.
                          12v at each injector amp connector.
                          Will start & run as long as I spray starting fluid into the intake.

Looking at the diagrams it appears the DME controls each fuel injector sequentially by grounding them, connecting a text lamp to any of the injector connectors show they are not being fired.

My back hurts and I'm racking my brain as to why the DME is not firing the injectors.
                          Last edited by Jordan; 03-20-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Shes alive! First start, OBDII M54b30 running on OE BMW Siemens DME, with EWS delete by Mark D of Dsylva-Tech.ca

Comment

Good lord that sounds nice.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                              X