No announcement yet.

1995 e34 540i/6 *m60b44* - Return to Some Kind of Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove to work happy as could be with the tires. Having a fully matched set is nice. Drives down the road nice and straight. Smooth. Love it. The tires contact the inner wheel well cover a bit in certain suspension positions but I am not worried about it.

I don't think it looks horrible.
    IMG_20161205_085201240_zpswxxkqa7m by Paul Abbott, on Flickr
    Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 10:58 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

dem balloon tires tho!

btw that amp you got is lightyears better than the free.99 I had
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        dem balloon tires tho!

btw that amp you got is lightyears better than the free.99 I had
        Haha totally baloon tires. But cushy!

Well I am glad the other amp was not destined to be sent to me then. I am pretty excited about it. I think 150w a channel is a bit much so I will have to dial the gains back a ton. Should be fun though!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Buddy Manny showed up today and picked up all my m30 stuff for his 84 318i. Nice seeing him and unloading a bunch of old stuff I don't need anymore.

I also went out and cleaned my Lucas style fuel injectors since more likely than not, my original ones are leaking. Speaking of leaking injectors, one that I cleaned was leaking pretty badly. Here is a video of that. Plus, there is enough shown in the video to allow you to clean your own injectors. No, they are not flow tested or matched, but they are clean and ready to install.

Was cleaning a spare set of fuel injectors the cheap way and discovered one of the injectors was leaking with pressure applied. Totally forgot to mention you...

Got my amp wired up and turns out one of the component tweeters is blown. Sad Pwalli. Its not totally hashed, just not great and a bit crackly.
          Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 11:00 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Aaaand I need a new clutch. Its slipping pretty good. Since I know nothing of how old the flywheel is, I am replacing it too. Since I have a reasonable sized oil leak from the rear main seal area anyway, I am going to just bite the bullet and do the whole job. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a day to do. I will start it on a Friday or Saturday just in case.

I was able to get good prices on the flywheel, clutch kit, input shaft seal and rear main seal. $630 shipped to my door. Hopefully I can do this once and be good for a long ass time. As usual, I will take pics.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
              Got this thing that was a DAPO (dumb-ass previous owner) basket case
              old post i know , but
              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
              Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
              1967 2002 parts car
              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                old post i know , but
                I can't take credit for the term. That was 2mAn!

New flywheel is here. Looking at this one compared to the one I installed, yeah, the original one was toast. Whoops!
                IMG_20161214_213247894_zpsfqxx35jx by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Discovered it wasn't one of my tweeters that was blown, it was the 5.25" PPI 355cs driver. The weird part is that the speaker distorts lightly on its own, but gets worse only when I touch the surround near the bottom and bottom left of the speaker. No idea what that is about.
                I was hearing a crackling when listening to talk radio like I usually do and initially thought it was the tweeters. Turns out it's the 5.25" component driver...

I installed another 5.25" speaker in there and it sounds fine (though not as good). I may explore 6.5" drivers in there.
                Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 11:03 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Nice progress! And yikes those injectors are pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                    Nice progress! And yikes those injectors are pretty bad.
                    Yeah, that one was real bad. All the other ones were perfect. Nice spray pattern and held pressure no problem. I am hoping to do the conversion on Friday if the last injector I ordered arrives quickly enough. Then I will do a cleaning and pressure test of the old injectors. I am betting I have 2-3 that are leaking.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I installed the Lucas red stripe injectors on Friday afternoon.

IMG_20161216_145348302_zpsef2ng61w by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20161216_145723642_zpsojpjz8tt by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20161216_145843756_zpsctu9jop6 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I didn't take pictures of the install because its basically reverse of the above. When I got it all together, letting all the gasoline that spilled upon removal evaporate, I fired her up. Had a leak on the number 4 cylinder (o-ring not seated properly). Got that cinched up and fired her up again.

Beautiful purr, running on all cylinders, smooth as can be. Cold start on Saturday morning was perfect along with all subsequent starts regardless of time it sat. This has solved my issue.

Upon removing the yellow injectors, I did a clean and test of those and sure enough, one of them was leaking. So only one injector was leaking and it caused my issues. For as inexpensive injectors are, I think it makes sense just to swap them out.

Forgot, clutch is in the house. Still waiting on the input shaft seal. I think I am going to start the install on Thursday afternoon. Eek.
                      Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 11:05 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

What is the part number for those Injectors? I think I may have a few that are plugged on my M60....

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                        I installed the Lucas red stripe injectors on Friday afternoon.

I didn't take pictures of the install because its basically reverse of the above. When I got it all together, letting all the gasoline that spilled upon removal evaporate, I fired her up. Had a leak on the number 4 cylinder (o-ring not seated properly). Got that cinched up and fired her up again.

Beautiful purr, running on all cylinders, smooth as can be. Cold start on Saturday morning was perfect along with all subsequent starts regardless of time it sat. This has solved my issue.

Upon removing the yellow injectors, I did a clean and test of those and sure enough, one of them was leaking. So only one injector was leaking and it caused my issues. For as inexpensive injectors are, I think it makes sense just to swap them out.

Forgot, clutch is in the house. Still waiting on the input shaft seal. I think I am going to start the install on Thursday afternoon. Eek.
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                          What is the part number for those Injectors? I think I may have a few that are plugged on my M60....
                          I used this review to base my purchase on. http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/720760

It also happened that I already had 7 of 8 of the ones the review suggested. Lucas Disc (Black body with a red stripe)BMW # 13 641 747 406 Lucas # D3763FA

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I have been running my Kenwood KDC-X500 head unit, PPI 335CS 1" tweeters and JBL GTO 5.25" drivers with the Soundstream TN4.900D amp in an active setup for the past month or so. My tweeters are on the fritz but its been working. Even in their dilapidated state, this is my first set of components and the clarity is stunning. Really glad I am going this route. I am a musician and run sound too so I never realized what I was missing.

But its time to build the remainder of the system so I have ordered the following:
                            • Two sets of Oxygen Audio 5.25" components that are rated for 150w RMS; these have been discontinued from the manufacturer and have been sold in NYC area and had a decent following. They were routinely selling for $109 a set with crossovers. I got these for $29 a set. The main draw for me is the crossovers that come with them are killer. Lots of options on them so if I decide that these speakers suck, I will at least have a good set of passive crossovers. The crossovers alone were $19 plus shipping each so for an additional $10 per set, I get 8 speakers and 4 crossovers. I spent the same cash and actually got speakers with it.
                            • Soundstream TN2600.D to run an 8" subwoofer. This is good for 600 watts at 4 ohms and should be plenty capable of pushing the one sub I plan on running but can still be capable of running other setups down the road if necessary. This was $94 shipped.
                            • Image Dynamics ID8 D2 V.4 8" subwoofer. This guy has power handling of 350 watts RMS. Its a dual 2 Ohm voice coil model so I can run it at either 1 ohm or 4 ohms. I plan on running it at 4 ohms in a small .44 cubic foot enclosure. I paid $89 for it.
                            • I loved the Luke box that is designed to fit perfectly in the trunk and project out the ski-pass so that's what I am aiming for. But I can't afford the $229 plus shipping his box is going to cost so I am going to make my own. Done a ton of calculations and have figured out that I am looking at a 65 degree sealed wedge with that is more or less 22" l x 7.5" w x 15" h. This should be nothing but the 3/4" MDF cost which at most is going to be $29 for a 4 x 8 sheet.
                            • Ordered a 4 gauge wiring kit for $11 shipped so I can get the sub wired up.

I also ordered some terminal blocks to deal with the rats nest of wires coming off the harness. I will post pics of the box build and the install when I get to it. I also plan on running all three RCA cables down the center of the car like most people recommend to eliminate interference.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I am sure this is going to require some fine tuning to get things to line up properly but here is the basic idea for the .44 cubic foot enclosure that butts up against the ski-pass.

EDIT: Sparing the human race the horrid box making attempt. Just buy a prefabbed one unless you do this for a living. :P
                              Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 11:07 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Because update

I haven't updated this in a while so here goes.

Turns out I suck at cutting angles with improper tools so I changed the box design to a simple rectangle. The system sounds killer. The 8" sub is not massive but it sounds really good. I love the components too. I want to move the tweeters into the pods though and out of the dash. I just need some new-to-me grilles when I get the chance.

Last night I decided to tackle my power steering cooling system setup. The hose I used when I redid it at first was too soft so it would just collapse on itself when the pump supplied vacuum. So I went and bought some actual power steering hose that won't collapse under vacuum and will hold its shape when being run all over the engine bay.

I didn't take many pics (well one), but I got rid of my auxiliary fan since it was dead anyway.
                                IMG_20170207_174055605_zps5ejockdl by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Tons of room to mount up a cooler. The cooler I used was an oil cooler from an e23 shark. I will get pics, promise.

My driveway looks like shit now and my hands look like I got in a fight with my BBQ grille, while it was on.

Oh, I got into a fender breaker (they don't bend) a couple weeks ago. Chick's Mini got scuffed up and one little crack in it. $535 later, she was taken care of. But I still need to source a bumper for me. Probably be a junk yard special.

IMG_20170120_152635165_zps8iwksdtg by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

In other news, the Bronco runs (with auxiliary tank) and I am about to order new floor boards so I can get going on its restoration.

I also picked up a 2004 Audi A4 quattro Ultra Sport 1.8T. Its going to my mom for a couple months until she gets a new Mazda CX5 then hopefully my wife wants it. Last week was spent doing lots of work to it. Radiator, motor mount, oil change, interior lighting (got rid of LEDs), interior cleaning, alignment, coolant flush, airbag light repair, ABS module sent out to remanufacture, and some other stuff. Its a fun little car. Best part is that even though its got 195K on it, the engine was replaced at 139K including flywheel and clutch.
                                Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 11:09 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X