X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
    You putting in some work man...looks good

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
    Thanks! I kinda wanted your wagon, but couldn't justify the $$... one day :)
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
      Thanks! I kinda wanted your wagon, but couldn't justify the $$... one day :)
      Price is negotiable..you never made an offer;-)....just curious..roughly how much will you be in this car all said and done?

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        Price is negotiable..you never made an offer;-)....just curious..roughly how much will you be in this car all said and done?

Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
          1998 e36 328ic/5 -
          Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
          1967 2002 parts car
          1994 318iS junked.

Comment

thanks for the good read. I look forward to the rest of this project.

Comment

so much easier to pull and install the transmission without the t-case on

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                thanks for the good read. I look forward to the rest of this project.
                thanks!

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                so much easier to pull and install the transmission without the t-case on
                I could see that with a manual, but I don't think it's possible with an automatic the 6 ish 13mm bolts have almost no clearance at all.

Anyways,
                about that transfer case.. the one I got used (5mt) failed the torque wrench test, while the auto passed with flying colors. I had previously done a jack test as well on the auto:

I knew it was possible to swap the VC unit from an auto to a manual, but I wasn't sure how easy that was.. short answer is not easy at all. Luckily, you can just swap the front housing of the transfer case quite easily. Just remove all the allen head bolts and gently tap around the housing until it separates. Make sure you get the needle bearing (the one from the auto stayed with the auto shaft) and washer spacer (both t'cases have one, but they can easily fall out in disassembly) in there.

fear not, the MTL wasn't for the transfer case :)

packed up my spare chain and front t'case output shaft as spares:

letting the rtv dry..

Moving right along.. I swapped consoles. The auto ix is the only e30 with a dimensionally different (taller) front console. Just had to modify the other console I had on hand (non airbag) for the knee bolster brace.

Installed my OEM bmw pilot bearing and lightened and balanced flywheel (13 lbs)

TCD stage 1 clutch kit (ya know.. for future mods ;D )

and with the help of my brother (visiting from belgium for thanksgiving) got the transmission installed!

I never noticed how tight I am under there. I'm so used to working on the ground that I'm actually slower with a lift

Finally, trans in, UUC SSK in :)

also got clutch hydraulics in as well as the transmission filled with MTL. I did this to make 100% sure clutch/etc worked with the motor running before putting the rest of the car together (transfer case/drive shafts etc)
                Last edited by Julien; 11-24-2015, 08:19 PM.
                Build Threads:

Comment

Subscribed.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Got the transfer case in today. Lubed up the splines with the special moly grease that is pretty crucial for these. A tube of the stuff was $50 and had to come from Germany, so the local BMW motorcycle dealer was nice enough to give me a little squirt of it in a zip-lock for free.

Shifter boot/knob in:

sadly my OE catback didn't survive the affair:

so I got a Scorpion from Bavauto, this thing looks NICE!

installed:

and BAM:

Car drives really well. Still needs minor tweaking, but overall i'm very happy with the results. Time for a glass of wine!
                    Build Threads:

Comment

Dammmm:-) looks good

Comment

you can get a tube of Molykote BR2 plus for like $20 from MCmaster. it's basically the same thing.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looking great man!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

So awesome. I still can't believe how quickly u got things tackled. It was a night and day difference going from auto to manual on my ix too
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Thanks again for the comments y'all :)

Few finishing touches:

(thinking about painting the center of the wheel black and getting a momo horn button)

ix gotta have a rack, amirite?

still needs bumper and side trim. Thinking about either powder coating or painting the wheels down the road..

Last edited by Julien; 11-26-2015, 10:21 PM.
                              Build Threads:

Comment

Leave the wheels stock color..black would be too much

Comment

Working...
                                X