Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope

I am sure you read about people using Plastidip for the custom cupholders. The texture gives a great factory appearance initially but after a year's worth of activity it doesnt hold up well. The dash, for me is a different animal. You hardly touch it, so it might be better suited.

Like yourself, I was going to go the filler route (using some filler from Color-Plus I had laying around) but messing with the dash potentially twice just spooked me.

Colorbond holds up better for leather dye jobs from what I read. I have no experience with the product. I am not sure how the texture would be after a treatment but worse case you can always remove the dash and cover it. The mere fact that the cracks are filled be a great backdrop for leather. Leather (alcantara?) would give it a real custom high end look for sure.

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/prof...ia/06.jpg.html
    Last edited by Javier h; 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

where did you get that padded dash filler? I plan to flock a cracked dash and need this

will you have any extra leftover? beer in exchange?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Filler

If you google:

padded dash filler 2050-9

ebay and Sears have it.

$20-$30

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Before:

After

Last edited by Javier h; 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I'm still waiting for a guinea pig to try this out :D
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359871

In all seriousness however, I think a replacement dash would be the route to take. And awesome pick up! Your having me think twice now about purchasing a set of euro bumpers for my own car..

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I will probably be trying it out soon...
            Originally posted by LJ851
            kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
            ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
            #teamross
            Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Dash is filled using the Urethane padded dash filler. This stuff is great! My only complaint is that it hardens way too fast so only mix small amounts at a time and only do one long crack or a couple of small ones at a time.

This is after the 2nd coat, on the 2nd day. I sprayed on another coat to even things out a bit. I will take another pic after the final coat dries completely tomorrrow.
              I should have spent a little more time on prepping the storage tray area...I know but I got lazy and my main concern were the cracks which are all filled and covered up. As expected, the Plastidip still shows the factory grain while giving it the rubberized look of the new dashes! This is what I was hoping for. Sorry about the shadows. If it looks good outside of the car, I'm sure it will look great inside. This is my first time working with filler, sanding, etc. I have thrown away dashes in better condition than this one. This is something I wanted to try out since I had nothing to lose but cost of material and a few hours. A dash with fewer cracks would have much better results.
              Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-26-2016, 01:29 PM.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

that came out surprisingly well!

details on the mtech kit? I guess it's a race now, with three 323i mtech I builds going at the same time here.
                cars beep boop

Comment

wow that came out really nice, making me reconsider the flocking process since my car isnt a fuhraze race car
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Subscribed.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

What you going to do with the front euro valance?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                        What you going to do with the front euro valance?
                        Now that you mention it. I think the fogs mount to the M tech 1 spoiler correct? so the valance is not needed? I haven't looked into it.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Subscribed, I need to do this on my dash.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            Now that you mention it. I think the fogs mount to the M tech 1 spoiler correct? so the valance is not needed? I haven't looked into it.
                            Yes, fogs mount to m-tech spoiler. Don't think you need the valance. In fact the valance might be in the way of the spoiler air ducts or fog light backs.
                            Nice build, watching!!!! and learning.
                            jm

Comment

I went thru the instrument cluster today (broken odometer gears and right side light is out) and decided to machine polish the plastic cover which cleaned it up nice! unfortunately it also made an existing 1 inch crack a 2 inch crack. Oh well, I'll have to grab another one at some point. SI board batteries were toast so I ordered up some AA NiCad's. Seems these aren't as common as they used to be. Most places don't carry them anymore in favor of NiMH and LI. While waiting for the batteries to arrive, I've been experimenting with a capacitor. I'll keep you updated on that. Another option is Programa's battery less board but at $150, I'd rather just replace the batteries. This is deja vu for me as this is one of the first DIY mods I did to my first 85 325e back in the day.

Comment

Got the dash in and the electrical wiring all sorted out. Not bad! This car has a comfort relay that powers the windows when the doors are open without the key having to be in the ignition. M tech 1 wheel and fresh switches installed.

These are original mats from my first 85 325e. Kept them in storage for 17 years after the crash.

Next is the subwoofer/amp install and deciding if I should keep the interior blue or switch to black. I'm missing the rear seat. Finding a blue seat would be a challenge but black is readily available. Either way the front seats will need to be dyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X