Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it seems original used M tech 1 kits have doubled in price while still needing repair work. I refuse to pay $2-3k for a kit that needs work, even if it is original. With that said, I bought the CEP Plastiflex M tech 1 kit. It's a 1:1 copy of the original kit right down to the indentations for the stickers and ribs. The parts do seem thin and are very light but I don't have the originals to compare these to. Besides, if the parts are as strong and flexible as they say they are, they don't need to be as thick or heavy. It will be very hard to tell OE from this kit once finished and painted.

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

do the various mounting holes in those come drilled?
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        do the various mounting holes in those come drilled?

Doesn't look like it. Probably a secondary op they skipped to keep the price down.
        As long as the plastic is flexible they should hold up as well as OE stuff.

Comment

I have the CEP kit as well. Please post up pics of mounting. I haven't gotten around to doing mine yet!

Comment

m-tech 1

You are ahead since you do not need to pay to repair the m-tech 1 kit. Unless you are re-building a 'real' m-tech euro car, I think this is a great way to have a kit and not have the work of repairing. Going to look good!
            jm

Comment

Can't wait to see pics of the car with the kit installed, I also refuse to pay $3k for a kit that needs work and paint. The dream would be to put a Mtech 1 kit on my coupe but I don't see it happening anytime soon being the cheap ass I am.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Updates?
                Continuous For Sale Thread
                323i s50

Comment

At this point, I'm trying to decide what suspension to put on it, wheels (thinking Alpinas) and which bodyshop to drop it off at. It's registered non-op for the year so I am taking my time.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

euroweaves

Might want to look into euroweaves. Something about the m-tech one and euroweaves, that looks really good...of course Alpinas are nice too:)
                    jm

Comment

Most Mtec look good with some kind of BBS wheels
                      sigpic
                      323i MTEC1
                      Z3 coupe
                      E60 M5

Comment

I have a set of euroweaves and have considered both euroweaves and BBS but I feel the M tech 1 has more of a classic look. Alpina wheels are very classy. I have BBS style wheels on the M tech 2 vert, Style 5's on other cars, etc. I figure I can swap them back and forth if I prefer Alpinas on the M tech 2 instead. Time for something different but if I come across a deal, who knows what I'll end up with.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-30-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

True- Alpina wheels are time classic that never get old.
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

Been busy but today I adjusted the timing to try to get this thing to run decently without idling too high. If I lower the idle to around 900, there is no power. If I advance the distributor, the power is there but it idles at 1500RPM. I wonder if the smog shop will take issue with this. Anyone with a 323i in CA have experience smogging one of these?

Anyway, although the plasti dipped dash looks a lot better than it did before. I sprung for a used dash since the price was right. At the end of the day, I am sort of a perfectionist/purist and the dash being such a critical part of the interior is no different. So, I will be installing this new crack free dash and probably have this one wrapped.

Comment

I've smogged mine. they check the distributor advance with a timing light and it has to match their specs.

if yours is timed to the correct mark, it should not be idling weird unless you are having an issue with your aux air slide valve being stuck open. I had that, ended up hiding the end of a finger of a rubber glove under the hose going to it to block it off, passed.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

I was reading up on the air slide valve being coolant temp controlled and often failing but there's not a lot of info about the valve. I may be experiencing the same issue as you.

Comment

Working...
                                X