No announcement yet.

84 euro gray market rebirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About damn time you started posting some progress pics, David. Happy to see this.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      I just put a 944 booster in my car yesterday. I got a brand new ATE one from blunt. I had to shorten the shaft about an inch and rethread it.
      I have a brand new ATE on the way as well. I saw a couple used ones on ebay but figured what the hell...I like knowing it is new.

Originally posted by bobaflesh View Post
      very nice car, subscribed.
      Thanks man.

Expecting my order for a bunch of small parts to arrive on Thursday and keep me busy for the weekend.
      sigpic
      84 323i

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        About damn time you started posting some progress pics, David. Happy to see this.
        I know, I'm a lazy bastard sometimes.
        sigpic
        84 323i

Comment

Originally posted by dahows View Post
          I know, I'm a lazy bastard sometimes.
          Happens to the best of us ;)
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Long overdue post but I have been doing stuff here and there...

I cleaned up the core support where I'll be adding the new radiator mounts. Just waiting on my Spal fan mounts from Massive to arrive so I get these set properly.

I used the existing mounts and reinforced them:

I also bent up a coolant expansion tank bracket and got it attached to the fender.

No one would ever accuse me of being a welder but it seems to be attached fairly well. Luckily it will be hidden under the tank.

I found a few parts that I needed...negative battery cable mount and a grommet for the battery relocation along with my coolant tank bracket. Small, insignificant looking parts here but happy to have found an e30 at the pick n pull with these parts. Seems that E30s are not as plentiful at the yards as they were a few years ago.

I got the front subframe dropped out of the car and disassembled. I want to clean up the strut housing for the ground control adjusters. I didn't weld the perches on provided with the coilover conversion kit and just used the remnants of the original, cut off spring perches. They worked but really need to be done properly...more on this later.

The cheap-ass transmission jack from harbor freight has been well worth the cost. I got it originally for a clutch replacement on the M3 but it has sure come in handy for the subframes. On to the rear...

ciao leaky, open 3.46...

And it's out...

Found a little rust behind the driver-side rear wheel well, above the muffler and heat shield. Luckily it isn't too bad and a little POR-15 should take care of this...

Needed to remove my 'Luke Box' so I could get the rear shocks out and prep for adding the battery cable. It has been way too long since I've been able to enjoy this thing...looking forward to hear this thing again.

I debated about dropping the fuel tank...I haven't had any issues with it but hell, everything else is out and I want to make sure there was no rust starting either with the tank or on the pan. Before actually dropping the tank I noticed a little junk around the vent hose cover and the expansion tank.

Removing the cover revealed a lot more crap

I've heard that this is an area for potential rust and can see how this can be a problem area, especially for cars that see daily use.

I ended up pulling the expansion tank and filler pipe, it all needed a thorough cleaning.

The fuel tank itself is in pretty good shape, no signs of rust or gunk inside.

Next up, taking care of that rust and applying new undercoating.
            sigpic
            84 323i

Comment

So apparently US e30's have a hardline evap line to the charcoal canister that run along side the fuel lines where my car has the brake line running in that slot. My car has what appears to be a vacuum line for most of the run up to the canister, not sure if this was added as part of the DOT crap or what. You can see it in the next couple photos zip tied to the other 3 lines.

Where does the brake line run on US e30s? I'd like to do something other than zip ties and vacuum line for the evap line. Looks like the full hardline is still available, maybe I'll run it along side the brake line.

I didn't capture a lot of pics of the application of the POR15 but I found a few areas where some surface rust was starting...nothing major but glad to catch it now before it gets worse. The worst was just above the muffler...

after treating the few areas found I applied a fresh layer of 3M Professional Undercoating...I know it won't look like this for long but it really cleans it up nicely and adds a layer of protection hopefully.

I took a note from Jordan's build and used SEM Chip Guard in the wheel wells to freshen them up. Also in the background you can see the radiator brackets in place.

I cleaned up the remaining insulation that was stuck to the firewall...I think I'll hit this with POR15 before topcoating it.

Finally, I received my Massive Spal brackets and have the radiator and fan assembled.

sigpic
              84 323i

Comment

nice progress.

Comment

I want your front valence...

Car is looking great! Nice work, imo early models look so much better than late models.

Comment

Great work so far. Good examples of the early euro cars are getting harder to find! Even more so in the condition yours is in.
                    81 323i (Sold)
                    87 325e Euro spec

Comment

Beautiful car, subscribed.
                      Continuous For Sale Thread
                      323i s50

Comment

nice work

This car will last a long time when you are done. Will be watching!
                        jm

Comment

you're rerunning all the brake hard lines? that's a fun job..
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Thanks guys...appreciate the comments.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            you're rerunning all the brake hard lines? that's a fun job..
                            I don't think I will, I'm just looking for a better way to run the evap line. The current way has obviously worked but just doesn't look 'finished'. How are your lines run? Even if I don't change to a hardline I'd like to use something other than zip ties to hang the evap line.
                            Last edited by dahows; 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM.
                            sigpic
                            84 323i

Comment

Very nice! I missed this build up until now, but it looks like fun! Hopefully we'll get to see it on the roads soon :)

Comment

Originally posted by dahows View Post
                                I'm just looking for a better way to run the evap line. The current way has obviously worked but just doesn't look 'finished'. How are your lines run? Even if I don't change to a hardline I'd like to use something other than zip ties to hang the evap line.
                                my evap lines run along the brake lines. there are OEM clips that hold the evap hard line up.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X