Chase Bays M54B30 E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did I miss this thread?

Big fan of what you do and that you're getting into E30s head first like this.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Got a little distracted with the E46 drift mini-build. It was supposed to be a quick and clean build. Coilovers > Bushings > Wisefab > I-H-E > Wheels > Seats. Once that was done, I found the clutch to be slipping and rear main seal to be leaking. Then the UUC flywheel I put in was so unbalanced it loosened the bolts out (twice). Then I chased coolant leaks for a couple weeks. So basically the time invested into it, I could have had the E30 done. Shit.

So since thats all okay for now, I've dove back into the E30. Right now I am getting the Power Steering Kit mocked up. I decided to implement an Inline Heatsink Cooler on ALL kits. Its substantially better than the factory loop "cooler" and soon we'll know the temp difference in this vs. Mocal/Koyo pass through type (11"x4"). We are all really rooting for the Inline Cooler, as the mounting is kind of awesome and doesn't clutter the tiny amount of front space BMW gives us on E30 and E36.

Once the insulated clamps are on, the cooler hangs lower than anything else. Luckily we can push up and it brings it up over an inch, and is no longer the lowest portion.

Igor of CAtuned sent me some stellar photos from their S54 E30 SEMA build so I will share those for a better look.

The M54 mounting is pretty cool, up top for the whole world to see

aannnnddd a Arc Asylum Header photo for fun

www.ChaseBays.com
      Chase Bays Instagram
      Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

Damn I've been drooling over those headers ever since they came out. Need more pictures of those beauties!!

Also nice to see another solution to the PS cooler equation, what size lines do you run through the system? I chose -10 feed to the pump, and -8 return from rack -> cooler -> reservoir because thats what matched pretty much every aftermarket PS res I found.
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

About damn time you started working on it again.
          I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Looking good Chase!

Subbed.

Comment

looks great so far. I cant wait to see this thing finished.
              V8 S14

Comment

Absolutely amazing work Chase.

Comment

The inline power steering cooler is a neat idea.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                    Damn I've been drooling over those headers ever since they came out. Need more pictures of those beauties!!

Also nice to see another solution to the PS cooler equation, what size lines do you run through the system? I chose -10 feed to the pump, and -8 return from rack -> cooler -> reservoir because thats what matched pretty much every aftermarket PS res I found.
                    They're sick! Can't wait to see the power bump compared to my E46 with eBay headers.

We use -10 for the feed and -6 for the return with a restrictor in the hose. -8 is too large and speeds up the return fluid which is already entering the reservoir super fast. All that turbulence causes the common spillover and of course aeration. Not saying it can't work but its not good for those common problems. We have a really kick ass reservoir we're about to release thats bulletproof against those issues. We have a shim that adapts to any BMW Reservoir Bracket too so maybe we'll take over the world. Probably not.

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
                    About damn time you started working on it again.
                    Originally posted by Panici View Post
                    Looking good Chase!

Subbed.
                    Originally posted by Beas View Post
                    looks great so far. I cant wait to see this thing finished.
                    Originally posted by twiggletwaggle View Post
                    Absolutely amazing work Chase.
                    Thanks guys. This thread makes me feel guilty when there is no progress so its good accountability.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    The inline power steering cooler is a neat idea.
                    Thanks! Can't wait to temp test Stock vs. Inline vs. Big Pass Through (being the highest hanging fruit because its a pain to mount.
                    www.ChaseBays.com
                    Chase Bays Instagram
                    Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

More progress, although small. Kind of at a weird point where theres 10 custom brackets and custom fabrication items that need to be done. I'm going to finish wiring then tow it to our local fabrication hero MPFab.

Things that need said fab:
                      • Radiator Brackets - Which will be mass produced for product
                      • Oil Dipstick Bracket
                      • Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) bracket - Going to use the similar mounting method that the factory Power Steering Reservoir used.
                      • Fuel Line Bracket - For the Front to Rear -6AN hoses we made entering engine bay)
                      • Expansion Tank - Really REALLY cool and simple idea for this. Adding the Tucked Radiator made it challenging to think up but I got it.
                      • Intake - Eliminating 2 bellows pre MAF
                      • Exhaust - Quiet but loud

Once this is all said and done I want to make an "M54B30 into E30 Swap - The expensive way". The most recent write up on the red E30 was amazing and helpful, this would just be what it is...expensive and race car like.

The Tucked Radiator has been a big challenge to simplify for end users once we start to sell. The E30 has zero clearance up front so we have to cut the lower core support and trim the front valence. Still totally worth it and won't be bad once its a 3-4 step instruction already all figured out.

Oh yeah the S13... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Chase Bays; 11-09-2016, 02:26 PM.
                      www.ChaseBays.com
                      Chase Bays Instagram
                      Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Bays View Post
                        We use -10 for the feed and -6 for the return with a restrictor in the hose. -8 is too large and speeds up the return fluid which is already entering the reservoir super fast. All that turbulence causes the common spillover and of course aeration. Not saying it can't work but its not good for those common problems. We have a really kick ass reservoir we're about to release thats bulletproof against those issues. We have a shim that adapts to any BMW Reservoir Bracket too so maybe we'll take over the world. Probably not.
                        Wow. And here I was thinking the -8 return would be too restrictive. I suppose I can always add a restrictor later. I also added a filter which may help slow it down a bit at least the res has a good baffle in it. I haven't installed any of it yet so the results remain to be seen. Carry on!
                        Shadetree30

Comment

I'm in on that!

Originally posted by ncrmtrsprtsE30 View Post
                          nice Chase! I need that fuel line setup man! lol
                          nice thread!
                          1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
                          2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
                          2008 Scion xB Lowered
                          2001 BMW 325i
                          1995 BMW 318ti
                          1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                          1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                            Wow. And here I was thinking the -8 return would be too restrictive. I suppose I can always add a restrictor later. I also added a filter which may help slow it down a bit at least the res has a good baffle in it. I haven't installed any of it yet so the results remain to be seen. Carry on!
                            Oh trust me, I get it. When I "designed" our first reservoir I thought it was just a pretty can with fittings on it. Then as it progressed I had baffle designs I was so sure would work that actually created a larger spillover and aeration issues. Most logic just doesn't work with Power Steering hose and reservoir design. I've also learned that 90% of OE and aftermarket reservoirs have aeration issues and/or spillover issues. With our new reservoir we plan to be in that 10% of perfect operation. I think I have a great grasp on it all now.
                            www.ChaseBays.com
                            Chase Bays Instagram
                            Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Bays View Post
                              Oh trust me, I get it. When I "designed" our first reservoir I thought it was just a pretty can with fittings on it. Then as it progressed I had baffle designs I was so sure would work that actually created a larger spillover and aeration issues. Most logic just doesn't work with Power Steering hose and reservoir design. I've also learned that 90% of OE and aftermarket reservoirs have aeration issues and/or spillover issues. With our new reservoir we plan to be in that 10% of perfect operation. I think I have a great grasp on it all now.
                              Yea I've been quickly realizing the same. Sent you a PM
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Awesome work
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X