The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
    Lets face it, a 24v swap into an E30 isnt exactly involved, clear enough other projects to clear your head and a little free time and then finish it. I have been and am in danger of being back in the situation you're in and it never ends well.
    Originally posted by stonea View Post
    It can be involved depending on the guy. I'm very detailed oriented and want the swap to be done proper and look as OEM as possible. I know its possible to throw in a 24v in an afternoon, but personally I like to take my time and clean everything and replace the parts I can while the engine is out.
    Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    That is my thoughts exactly.
    Precisely, which is why it's a 'do it my way' or wait to do it until I can give it my all kind of mentality (and also why small projects tend to be a bit more daunting). I must admit, this is not as much a detail oriented build for me as my cars have been in the past, but I am only doing it this way so I'm able to fully enjoy the car's potential upon completion.

I'm excited to clear up some room and get working!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

This isn't a car update but figured you guys may enjoy this for the read. I've never been one to spend crazy $$ on tool boxes, because in the end, it's a piece of metal that holds your tools. (There are many opinions on this, I know).

With that being said, I love vintage boxes. My main box is a vintage Dayton top box, but have recently been looking for another box for extra space.

Today I scored a loaded '76 bicentennial Snap On road side box for a song. I haven't cleaned it yet, but I'm going to lightly restore it, although it doesn't need much.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        This isn't a car update but figured you guys may enjoy this for the read. I've never been one to spend crazy $$ on tool boxes, because in the end, it's a piece of metal that holds your tools. (There are many opinions on this, I know).

With that being said, I love vintage boxes. My main box is a vintage Dayton top box, but have recently been looking for another box for extra space.

Today I scored a loaded '76 bicentennial Snap On road side box for a song. I haven't cleaned it yet, but I'm going to lightly restore it, although it doesn't need much.

Love Dayton :) I ended up breaking down and picked this up last year. The think I like about it is all the power that is built into it so I can store my items

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Precisely, which is why it's a 'do it my way' or wait to do it until I can give it my all kind of mentality (and also why small projects tend to be a bit more daunting). I must admit, this is not as much a detail oriented build for me as my cars have been in the past, but I am only doing it this way so I'm able to fully enjoy the car's potential upon completion.

I'm excited to clear up some room and get working!
          To play the devil's advocate. M20 Itb stroker would be pretty fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Love Dayton :) I ended up breaking down and picked this up last year. The think I like about it is all the power that is built into it so I can store my items
            That is a fantastic box! I think I've been drawn to these older boxes because it's all I can afford :D.

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
            To play the devil's advocate. M20 Itb stroker would be pretty fun.
            Funny you say that, I realized today I have the parts in my garage right this moment to drop in a 2.8l m20 with an 885 cylinder head. I'm going to keep it on the back burner for now, and if the 24v isn't done by the end of winter, the m20 will go in without second thought.

Comment

That is a fantastic box! I think I've been drawn to these older boxes because it's all I can afford :D.

Funny you say that, I realized today I have the parts in my garage right this moment to drop in a 2.8l m20 with an 885 cylinder head. I'm going to keep it on the back burner for now, and if the 24v isn't done by the end of winter, the m20 will go in without second thought.
              I work for Grainger so I'm a fan of Dayton and old stuff.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I work for Grainger so I'm a fan of Dayton and old stuff.
                I love it too! I just snagged an old Mac box too, I'll have to snag a picture of it soon.

I dug into the Subaru tonight because something told me to check the timing components before I bought a fresh motor. Low and behold the fresh Gates Racing components I installed at 110K failed at 146K and caused the entire timing system to eat itself.

Comment

Wow, sorry man. I thought Gates stuff was supposed to be really high quality too. Did the timing tensioner let go?

Comment

oh man! good call checking the timing bits. What left do you have planned/have to do for the 24v swap?
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
                      Wow, sorry man. I thought Gates stuff was supposed to be really high quality too. Did the timing tensioner let go?
                      I'm so thankful that it wasn't rod bearings like I thought it was.

I have used Gates stuff time and time again over the years without issue, but this has me sketched out now. I just ordered all OE dealer parts to fix it with. Yes, the tensioner let go (specifically the tensioner pulley).

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                      oh man! good call checking the timing bits. What left do you have planned/have to do for the 24v swap?
                      Yeah no kidding, thankfully I caught it before it went kaboom!

In 24v land I just got in my Achilles oil pan baffle (have to get it welded, $100), still waiting on the fancy cylinder head from Jaker, UUC shipped my underdrive pullies finally after 3 months, still need to modify my harness ($175), and am waiting to get my headers back from ceramic coat ($100). Still need to buy a tune from Market ($400), as well as the OBD1 manifold swap kit ($190). Also don't know if I should run an OBD1 TB or not (need to buy E34 throttle cable yet, $30). Got a rethreaded coolant temp sensor from OMG, waiting on engine bay paint still, etc. Still need to buy a clutch ($500) and an electric fan ($100). Got Febi timing chain guides on Saturday. Need to buy top/bottom end gasket/seals ($200) and modify the dipstick ($50). Need to buy trans mounts ($50), 944 booster ($200), intake setup ($150). Need to buy seals for the trans too and get a new CSB ($100). Still need tires for my style 5s ($450) and that wilwood kit up front to fit them ($1100). It's another $3500-4K in parts that I don't have before I can finish it. I could build an entire M20 stroker and get it running in less money than I still have to spend to just get this engine in the car.

I'm holding off on the 3.5" intake setup/MAF because I just want to finish the car up and don't think it'll make much more power that way. But still need a regular sized ASC delete elbow because of that ($30).

There are so many small things to be done that cost too much which is why it's taking so long.
                      Last edited by AWDBOB; 12-04-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I'm so thankful that it wasn't rod bearings like I thought it was.

I have used Gates stuff time and time again over the years without issue, but this has me sketched out now. I just ordered all OE dealer parts to fix it with. Yes, the tensioner let go (specifically the tensioner pulley).

Yeah no kidding, thankfully I caught it before it went kaboom!

In 24v land I just got in my Achilles oil pan baffle (have to get it welded, $100), still waiting on the fancy cylinder head from Jaker, UUC shipped my underdrive pullies finally after 3 months, still need to modify my harness ($175), and am waiting to get my headers back from ceramic coat ($100). Still need to buy a tune from Market ($400), as well as the OBD1 manifold swap kit ($190). Also don't know if I should run an OBD1 TB or not (need to buy E34 throttle cable yet, $30). Got a rethreaded coolant temp sensor from OMG, waiting on engine bay paint still, etc. Still need to buy a clutch ($500) and an electric fan ($100). Got Febi timing chain guides on Saturday. Need to buy top/bottom end gasket/seals ($200) and modify the dipstick ($50). Need to buy trans mounts ($50), 944 booster ($200), intake setup ($150). Need to buy seals for the trans too and get a new CSB ($100). Still need tires for my style 5s ($450) and that wilwood kit up front to fit them ($1100). It's another $3500-4K in parts that I don't have before I can finish it. I could build an entire M20 stroker and get it running in less money than I still have to spend to just get this engine in the car.

I'm holding off on the 3.5" intake setup/MAF because I just want to finish the car up and don't think it'll make much more power that way. But still need a regular sized ASC delete elbow because of that ($30).

There are so many small things to be done that cost too much which is why it's taking so long.
                        Pretty amazing that the Subie issue turned out to be the fresh timing components - but really good news considering the alternative!

I checked out my OBD1 and OBD2 throttle bodies and both use the same TPS sensor - double checked with realoem.com to make sure. That TPS is used on a lot of cars....

I went with OBD1 for ease of throttle and cruise cable install as well as the fact it bolts up to the OBD1 manifold swap on my M52 with no adapter. Still needed the CCV parts though...

Any reason not to run an iX brake booster on your car with the 2002 reservoir since you have easy availability of parts?

I think I have all the G260 trans seals (OE BMW) in my parts stash that I won't be needing since I've changed to a ZF. Have a Sach's stock G260 clutch kit too but I think you have different plans.

Hang in there - you can always run the 14" wheels and stock brakes for now and get it running/driving.

MJ

Comment

There is a lot you can cut out of that budget with some good old DIY and holding off on some thing till later. You can make your own swap harness with some solder and heat shrink in an afternoon. I have some junk c101 and x20 connectors I will give you for the price of shipping.
                          The M50 manifold and tune can wait till more funds are available. I ran my hopped up 3.2 with the stock 413 DME for awhile before I bought a tune.
                          I remember I was super broke when I did my M60 swap. Everyone made fun of my zip tie throttle cable extension, butt crimped harness adapter, and homemade booster delete. But my shit worked. Daily drove that POS for 8 months before it’s unfortunate demise.
                          In the end it’s what you are comfortable with. I come from the mentality of getting it on the road safely with the least money spent. Yeah sometimes you will have to compromise on some things and get shunned by the elitist builders who have been working on their cars for years and may never finish them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                            Pretty amazing that the Subie issue turned out to be the fresh timing components - but really good news considering the alternative!

I checked out my OBD1 and OBD2 throttle bodies and both use the same TPS sensor - double checked with realoem.com to make sure. That TPS is used on a lot of cars....

I went with OBD1 for ease of throttle and cruise cable install as well as the fact it bolts up to the OBD1 manifold swap on my M52 with no adapter. Still needed the CCV parts though...

Any reason not to run an iX brake booster on your car with the 2002 reservoir since you have easy availability of parts?

I think I have all the G260 trans seals (OE BMW) in my parts stash that I won't be needing since I've changed to a ZF. Have a Sach's stock G260 clutch kit too but I think you have different plans.

Hang in there - you can always run the 14" wheels and stock brakes for now and get it running/driving.

MJ
                            I know, right?! I couldn't believe it, but something told me to open up the timing cover "just in case".

Oh awesome, thank you for clearing that up. I will snag an OBD1 TB for ease of throttle cable and cruise since I'll be running that as well!

My thought was, if I were to sell the iX booster and not buy a 2002 res, it'd cost almost the same amount of money as the 944 booster. However, I just read a thread last night that indicated an iX booster w/o spacer will work fine in with MC/Res, I'll just have to cut and rethread the rod just as I would have a 944 booster. If that is the case, I am going to go that route since I already have the parts!

And yes, I agree, I'm going to run the 14" weaves for a while yet until I can swing that brake upgrade/tires for the style 5s.

If you have them, I'll buy them from you! I still haven't purchased those seals.

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                            There is a lot you can cut out of that budget with some good old DIY and holding off on some thing till later. You can make your own swap harness with some solder and heat shrink in an afternoon. I have some junk c101 and x20 connectors I will give you for the price of shipping.
                            The M50 manifold and tune can wait till more funds are available. I ran my hopped up 3.2 with the stock 413 DME for awhile before I bought a tune.
                            I remember I was super broke when I did my M60 swap. Everyone made fun of my zip tie throttle cable extension, butt crimped harness adapter, and homemade booster delete. But my shit worked. Daily drove that POS for 8 months before it’s unfortunate demise.
                            In the end it’s what you are comfortable with. I come from the mentality of getting it on the road safely with the least money spent. Yeah sometimes you will have to compromise on some things and get shunned by the elitist builders who have been working on their cars for years and may never finish them.
                            Yes, you are right about that. There are a few things I don't have the time to dive into and would rather just get it done, specifically the harness. I can do it myself, but my time is so limited it's easier at this point to just have someone do it and know it's right.

Tune can wait, but the ECU flash can't since I'm running OBD2. The cheapest flash is $280 to delete ews, SAP, back O2 sensor, etc, so I figure there's no sense doing that without doing the tune as well for $400 total. Thusly, it's not wise to run the OBD2 intake manifold if I'm going to have to retune for the OBD1 later on. etc etc etc it just goes on and on, always does. Didn't want to get a custom exhaust made without ceramic coating my headers, etc. The "while you're in there things" are the reason why I don't finish any projects

I definitely agree with what you're saying though- it pays to just get the car on the road and enjoy it, because if you nitpick every little part the car never gets finished. There are just quite a few things that if I do it right the first time I'll be saving money as opposed to hacking it and then redoing it later on down the line.

Poor R3V. My threads build up to a great climax and then I get sick of the car, park it in a barn or sell it :D

Comment

The "while you're in there things" are the reason why I don't finish any projects

There are just quite a few things that if I do it right the first time I'll be saving money as opposed to hacking it and then redoing it later on down the line.
                              I’ve been going through the exact same things hahahaha! Luckily I’ve talked myself out of doing a lot of the work I was planning in anticipation for boosting the M52. It really allowed me to move forward with my swap. Even then it’s still a long process because I want to do it right the first time as well... the struggle...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

My thought was, if I were to sell the iX booster and not buy a 2002 res, it'd cost almost the same amount of money as the 944 booster. However, I just read a thread last night that indicated an iX booster w/o spacer will work fine in with MC/Res, I'll just have to cut and rethread the rod just as I would have a 944 booster. If that is the case, I am going to go that route since I already have the parts!
                                Yes this apparently works as many have done this with the iX booster. I really think that the iX booster is the way to go since it gives stock boost levels. The stock E30 brakes have really good feel and I think anything else is a compromise...of course iX boosters are fairly rare these days which is why a compromise must be made.

I have heard that you can get even more clearance with an E34 525i fluid reservoir. Unfortunately there is not one clear thread where any of this is documented - you have to piece all of this together. I have a 525i reservoir that I got before I decided to go to the '02 remote setup. Consider it yours to try since I know you will document it properly.

If you have them, I'll buy them from you! I still haven't purchased those seals.
                                Good deal - we'll work something out. My E30 is coming back home this week so the swap can resume. You don't need to tell me about how projects can go on...

MJ

Comment

Working...
                                X