The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
    Yes this apparently works as many have done this with the iX booster. I really think that the iX booster is the way to go since it gives stock boost levels. The stock E30 brakes have really good feel and I think anything else is a compromise...of course iX boosters are fairly rare these days which is why a compromise must be made.

I have heard that you can get even more clearance with an E34 525i fluid reservoir. Unfortunately there is not one clear thread where any of this is documented - you have to piece all of this together. I have a 525i reservoir that I got before I decided to go to the '02 remote setup. Consider it yours to try since I know you will document it properly.

Good deal - we'll work something out. My E30 is coming back home this week so the swap can resume. You don't need to tell me about how projects can go on...

MJ
    If you can get an ix booster to work let me know! I would rather go that route.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      I’ve been going through the exact same things hahahaha! Luckily I’ve talked myself out of doing a lot of the work I was planning in anticipation for boosting the M52. It really allowed me to move forward with my swap. Even then it’s still a long process because I want to do it right the first time as well... the struggle...
      Exactly- if we let our minds convince us we need these extravagant parts nothing ever gets done. Here's to 24V before winter is done

Yes this apparently works as many have done this with the iX booster. I really think that the iX booster is the way to go since it gives stock boost levels. The stock E30 brakes have really good feel and I think anything else is a compromise...of course iX boosters are fairly rare these days which is why a compromise must be made.

I have heard that you can get even more clearance with an E34 525i fluid reservoir. Unfortunately there is not one clear thread where any of this is documented - you have to piece all of this together. I have a 525i reservoir that I got before I decided to go to the '02 remote setup. Consider it yours to try since I know you will document it properly.

Good deal - we'll work something out. My E30 is coming back home this week so the swap can resume. You don't need to tell me about how projects can go on...
      MJ
      Agreed on the stock brakes having a great feel. I would hate to kill that- you've encouraged me to go the iX route I think (I just so happen to have a surplus :D). If I have some time I'll mess with it this weekend. From the research I've done, it appears the stock iX master/res and the E34 stuff are very similar in size. The next time you swing down, bring it along and we can compare it to a stock iX resevoir.

I'm excited to see your swap resume! Will you be documenting it at all?

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      If you can get an ix booster to work let me know! I would rather go that route.
      You're S54, right? The only booster I've seen work without relocating is a tiny 924 booster. Did you see this thread?

I was thinking too, I bet you could get away with an iX booster if you moved the booster over 1/2" or so and modified the clevis and ran it without the spacer.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

The Journey of Linda- 24v 325iS Build

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Agreed on the stock brakes having a great feel. I would hate to kill that- you've encouraged me to go the iX route I think (I just so happen to have a surplus [emoji3]).

You got an extra lyin around?

Also need a few things from your sedan part out. PMing you

edit: oof jesus that pic was huge just gonna take that puppy down
        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by wworm; 12-07-2017, 06:45 PM.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

This thread has been a good read. Definitely giving me the incentive to get going on my S50 swap. Now I just need to get the wallet motivated.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Good question...probably will throw up a thread. My build won't be too exciting but interesting nonetheless. I tend to forget to take pics or take pics of things for remembering location rather than explanation.

MJ

Comment

I only use the iX booster on 24v. All others just don't do it for me - tried all the others over the years, Porsche 944, E21, stock w/ modified firewall (yuck), and the iX is the best solution...

Using the complete booster w/ shim, it is a direct bolt on to the firewall and has the best pedal feel by far. I run an E34 M5 25mm master cylinder, for two reasons - obviously the larger diameter master cyl, for stiffer pedal feel, but also because the brake lines are the same size as a RWD E30 chassis (M10 for both,) rather than staggered sizes like the stock 325ix master cyl (M10/M12), so no having to modify your chassis hard lines, and the M5 master cylinder is about half the cost for a TRW (OE) unit than a 325ix unit.

I always run the 2002 remote reservoir, with 2002 grommets and connectors, and mount the reservoir to the shock tower, with a custom made bracket. You can squeeze a stock 325ix non-remote reservoir in there (if you decide to not run the shim and hack up/redrill your firewall), with a stock E36 non-ASC intake boot, and while it fits, I still prefer the look of the remote reservoir the best. This is most certainly not the cheapest option, but having done this a few times, it's the best option, IMHO.

Do it your way, but just giving you my (unrequested) opinion.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                You got an extra lyin around?

Also need a few things from your sedan part out. PMing you
                I have two iX boosters still! I had three haha. Let me know what you need man.

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                This thread has been a good read. Definitely giving me the incentive to get going on my S50 swap. Now I just need to get the wallet motivated.
                Thanks! It's a slow read, my apologies for that. Hopefully it'll get finished.

Good question...probably will throw up a thread. My build won't be too exciting but interesting nonetheless. I tend to forget to take pics or take pics of things for remembering location rather than explanation.
                MJ
                I vote thread :)

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                I only use the iX booster on 24v. All others just don't do it for me - tried all the others over the years, Porsche 944, E21, stock w/ modified firewall (yuck), and the iX is the best solution...

Using the complete booster w/ shim, it is a direct bolt on to the firewall and has the best pedal feel by far. I run an E34 M5 25mm master cylinder, for two reasons - obviously the larger diameter master cyl, for stiffer pedal feel, but also because the brake lines are the same size as a RWD E30 chassis (M10 for both,) rather than staggered sizes like the stock 325ix master cyl (M10/M12), so no having to modify your chassis hard lines, and the M5 master cylinder is about half the cost for a TRW (OE) unit than a 325ix unit.

I always run the 2002 remote reservoir, with 2002 grommets and connectors, and mount the reservoir to the shock tower, with a custom made bracket. You can squeeze a stock 325ix non-remote reservoir in there (if you decide to not run the shim and hack up/redrill your firewall), with a stock E36 non-ASC intake boot, and while it fits, I still prefer the look of the remote reservoir the best. This is most certainly not the cheapest option, but having done this a few times, it's the best option, IMHO.

That was a very comprehensive explanation- thank you.

I haven't really decided what to do just yet. Also, I didn't know the iX had different line sizes- I've been reading and haven't seen anyone mention having to change this, unless the thread size is the same but with a different M12 line? I thought the E30 lines bolted right up but just required some bending.

Adding a $180 E34M5 master to the picture along with another $100 of remote booster stuff is out of the equation unfortunately.

All of this talk just brings me back to the 944 booster that's $200 brand new and needs nothing but a couple minutes with a dye.

If I can use the stock iX master with a remote resevoir that could potentially work.
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I've been struggling with brake boosters as well... I already have a modded 944 booster but I had heard less than ideal things about pedal feel. I've been on the lookout for an ix booster but haven't found anything local yet.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

You could use the stock iX master cylinder if you took the M12 brake line off an iX parts car at the ABS unit.

Comment

Exactly- if we let our minds convince us we need these extravagant parts nothing ever gets done. Here's to 24V before winter is done

Agreed on the stock brakes having a great feel. I would hate to kill that- you've encouraged me to go the iX route I think (I just so happen to have a surplus :D). If I have some time I'll mess with it this weekend. From the research I've done, it appears the stock iX master/res and the E34 stuff are very similar in size. The next time you swing down, bring it along and we can compare it to a stock iX resevoir.

You're S54, right? The only booster I've seen work without relocating is a tiny 924 booster. Did you see this thread?

I was thinking too, I bet you could get away with an iX booster if you moved the booster over 1/2" or so and modified the clevis and ran it without the spacer.
                      Yes S54, for some reason I thought you were going S54 too. I guess I will stick with my 2002 booster for now.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I appreciate your thoughts on the iX booster and all the reasons you mention are the same thoughts I had when choosing my booster set-up.

However, I was under the impression that all the lines from the master to the ABS unit were M10/M10 (master/ABS) and that the lines just need to be slightly re-positioned at the master to fit. Looking at RealOEM it shows that all the lines on the iX are M10/M10 throughout:

RealOEM can be wrong so I plan to unbox my iX booster set-up this weekend to confirm. Not trying to be controversial, just provide an alternate view. Will post back with more info.

MJ

Comment

I appreciate your thoughts on the iX booster and all the reasons you mention are the same thoughts I had when choosing my booster set-up.

However, I was under the impression that all the lines from the master to the ABS unit were M10/M10 (master/ABS) and that the lines just need to be slightly re-positioned at the master to fit. Looking at RealOEM it shows that all the lines on the iX are M10/M10 throughout:

RealOEM can be wrong so I plan to unbox my iX booster set-up this weekend to confirm. Not trying to be controversial, just provide an alternate view. Will post back with more info.

MJ
                          Any and all iX master cylinders I've had in my possession had staggered M10/M12 fittings...never looked at the chassis side of things all that much, so it's hard to say one way or the other, but that's just my personal experience.

Comment

Any and all iX master cylinders I've had in my possession had staggered M10/M12 fittings...never looked at the chassis side of things all that much, so it's hard to say one way or the other, but that's just my personal experience.
                            Cool - fair enough. I checked out my iX master today and both fittings are M10 threads so it will be drop in for my build.

AWDBOB can check his masters/boosters to see what fittings he has and go from there with his decision. Hopefully he has M10 on all fittings and can use them with little modification.

MJ

Comment

Cool - fair enough. I checked out my iX master today and both fittings are M10 threads so it will be drop in for my build.

AWDBOB can check his masters/boosters to see what fittings he has and go from there with his decision. Hopefully he has M10 on all fittings and can use them with little modification.

MJ
                              I'm sorry, I screwed up when I first posted.

The RWD chassis takes *M8* brake line fittings (not 10/12 like I said earlier, that was incorrect) and the AWD take either a staggered M8/M10 or a pair of M10s. Either way, the fittings are different between a RWD and AWD chassis.

Comment

sorry to keep this going, but I'm curious about the ix booster as well. I've never seen one, but what's stopping the use of a RWB brake master cylinder? Is it too long? That IX master looks tiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X