The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by potatomash View Post
    Do you have A/C? If not you can move the power steering to the other side of its mounts and bolt in reverse basically, and then use the belt on the ac side of the crank pulley rather than the normal. That's what I've done - gives you heaps of room for radiator
    I do not have AC (for now). I don't know if I would want to mess with moving the power steering lines around, though. What did you do for lines?
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

No no, lines don't change at all. Ill have to get a pic for you, super easy. Basically you undo the power steering pump bracket bolts, move it to the back side of the bracket, and put the bolts in the opposite way. Like all your effectively doing is moving it about 1cm back further from the radiator

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

No no, lines don't change at all. Ill have to get a pic for you, super easy. Basically you undo the power steering pump bracket bolts, move it to the back side of the bracket, and put the bolts in the opposite way. Like all your effectively doing is moving it about 1cm back further from the radiator
        This makes way more sense than what i had originally thought you were explaining
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          This makes way more sense than what i had originally thought you were explaining
          Haha yeah my explanation was horrid

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Haha yeah my explanation was horrid
            its so hard to explain car stuff without any visual aids
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Bahaha my bad- I pictured that insanely wrong and then thought over bolt patterns and was like "damn, how does that work". I completely get it now, I will do that this weekend.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Impulsively bought a very nice 138K iX today. One owner for 28 years, sold to the guy I bought it from last year who didn't touch it. I cleaned some grime off of it and it is clean!

IMG_2454 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                IMG_2457 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  Impulsively bought a very nice 138K iX today. One owner for 28 years, sold to the guy I bought it from last year who didn't touch it. I cleaned some grime off of it and it is clean!

That looks super clean...and its the right color.

Now get to work looking for a perfect touring and a 'vert to complete the collection!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                    That looks super clean...and its the right color.
                    Now get to work looking for a perfect touring and a 'vert to complete the collection!
                    MJ
                    Yes it is the right color indeed! My color is red over tan- if this were a Zinno '88 iX I don't think I'd be able to sell it. Speaking of completing the body style collection, you're only an iX and a cabrio away, this is your chance!

This car needs a trans- since no one has been biting on my manual swap I think it'll go into this car.

Comment

I haven't made much progress due to parts cars and liquidation- I'm working on getting rid of my inventory in preparation for E30M3 maintenance. I also had to put a new roof on my garage which was a fun learning experience.

BUT tonight I finished up quite a few odds and ends on Linda that I've been avoiding for a while.

1) I filled/bled my power steering. It works!
                      2) I ran and hooked up all of my ABS sensors.
                      3) I put together my interior that's been apart since 2016.
                      4) I ordered a wood shift knob from IE and sent an email to Matt-B to order some boots.
                      5) I adjusted the coilovers/rideheight so the car is ready for its alignment!
                      6) I put on a new brake sensor so I finally have functioning brake lights.

I'm going to get it aligned next week (still have to put the hood on) and once it's aligned I'll drop it off at my buddy's for exhaust work, and then I promise I'll roast a set of spare bottlecap tires for you guys once I iron out whatever kinks may arise after driving it around for a bit.

I took off work already in early August and will be road tripping with the iS out west, so ultimately she needs to be ready to go by then. I'm considering putting AC on for that since I have all of the necessary parts.

Does this ride height look okay? Going for a low but conservative look. I'm at roughly 24" from fender lip to ground at each corner, with the front 1/2" lower than the rear.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Hoping a pencil eraser does the trick so I don't have to look at this anymore.

All back together

Comment

Ride height is perfect IMO. Low enough for me, but still functional.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                        The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                          Ride height is perfect IMO. Low enough for me, but still functional.
                          Exactly what I'm thinking. I think it's 98% of the way there. Many need some fine tuning, but none that will throw the alignment out of wack if I'm only adjusting a small amount.

In other news, I got the white iX running like a champ today! It ran terribly, very hard to start, etc. Had a 1223 code for Coolant Temp sensor. Sure enough, I looked in the bay and see a new coolant temp sensor, fresh injectors, new rotor, intake boot, hose clamps, etc. It's very clear that the long term owner had an issue that he couldn't figure out.

The fuel injector harness was bad! Replaced it with a known good one and this thing purrs like a kitten with all the fresh parts.

Comment

Exactly what I'm thinking. I think it's 98% of the way there. Many need some fine tuning, but none that will throw the alignment out of wack if I'm only adjusting a small amount.

In other news, I got the white iX running like a champ today! It ran terribly, very hard to start, etc. Had a 1223 code for Coolant Temp sensor. Sure enough, I looked in the bay and see a new coolant temp sensor, fresh injectors, new rotor, intake boot, hose clamps, etc. It's very clear that the long term owner had an issue that he couldn't figure out.

The fuel injector harness was bad! Replaced it with a known good one and this thing purrs like a kitten with all the fresh parts.
                            what were the symptoms you were getting to direct you to the harness?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              what were the symptoms you were getting to direct you to the harness?
                              The car ran like crap upon delivery- hard to start, barely ran, etc. I stomp tested the CEL for starters and saw 1223 (coolant temp sensor). I then noticed various new parts like a new coolant temp sensor, new injectors, etc on the car which told me the PO tried to fix it. C191 is known to throw random codes (like 1223) and my red car had a bad injector harness that gave me trouble, so I just swapped one from a parts car and she fired right up and the CEL went right away.

Bonus is that all those fresh parts are doing their job well now!

Comment

The car ran like crap upon delivery- hard to start, barely ran, etc. I stomp tested the CEL for starters and saw 1223 (coolant temp sensor). I then noticed various new parts like a new coolant temp sensor, new injectors, etc on the car which told me the PO tried to fix it. C191 is known to throw random codes (like 1223) and my red car had a bad injector harness that gave me trouble, so I just swapped one from a parts car and she fired right up and the CEL went right away.

Bonus is that all those fresh parts are doing their job well now!
                                That's pretty great. I have been thinking about replacing that harness simply out of principle and because they are on sale for like 125.00 on ECS. Eventually I know it will need to be replaced.

I jealous of all your parts. That white IX looks like it's gonna be so nice. What color is the interior?

Send me the bumpers! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X