No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice score! A good find, especially for the salt-filled Midwest.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

The Un-Hoopty in all its glory!! I dug into some of the higher res pics on Flickr and man this thing looks clean, clean. Great find and I cannot wait to see this one hit full potential - this one will be huge.

Comment

Great work!

when are you going to install that M3 5 lug?
        BMW E30 M3 - S50B32
        www.e30.is

Comment

Looks familiar, nice pick up Bobby! By my count, that now makes five E30s in the fleet, any chance there's going to be a Crazy Bob's fire sale in the future? I would love to get my hands on Linda at 2019 prices.

Comment

What does this UN-Hoopty have to do with Linda? ... Sounds like thread #3 is forthcoming
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
              Nice score! A good find, especially for the salt-filled Midwest.

Thanks!! Thankfully this car spent its life in Nevada and hasn't been driven since beginning its new life in the Midwest.

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
              The Un-Hoopty in all its glory!! I dug into some of the higher res pics on Flickr and man this thing looks clean, clean. Great find and I cannot wait to see this one hit full potential - this one will be huge.

Man.... I feel similarly!! The chassis is really, really clean. Certainly is a good feeling. Can't wait to give the car what it deserves!

​​​​​​​
              Originally posted by Mazi! View Post
              Great work!

when are you going to install that M3 5 lug?

Thanks! I sold the M3 5 lug setup. I have new suspension on all of my cars, it didn't make any sense to rip apart brand new parts for an extra lug. Would've been cool, though!

​​​​​​​
              Originally posted by CompleteCustoms View Post
              Looks familiar, nice pick up Bobby! By my count, that now makes five E30s in the fleet, any chance there's going to be a Crazy Bob's fire sale in the future? I would love to get my hands on Linda at 2019 prices.
              Bahaha, was waiting for you to chime in! We all know there is always potential for a crazy bobs fire sale. I've been working all winter towards reducing the number of cars in the fleet, but it seems that I have only done the opposite.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              What does this UN-Hoopty have to do with Linda? ... Sounds like thread #3 is forthcoming
              Man, I have too many threads! That's why I added "and friends" to the thread title, to encompass the rest of my madness. Once this new build takes off a bit, I'll definitely start another thread, though. The hoopty thread has now gone through five cars lol
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Jake bought a truck in Texas over the weekend. His plan was to drive it up to Indy, hang and get the 318 hoopty running, and then take Linda up to MI.

A buddy locally had an e21 he was looking to offload due to a move, and the trailer was already rented for Linda, so Jake picked up the E21, and driving back figured out that he had driven the truck 900+ miles only making 5-25psi of oil pressure. At stop lights the "low oil pressure" warning ding would activate, even though the gauge showed 40psi on the cluster. Some gnarly top end noises later we confirmed [lack of] oil pressure with a laptop and realized that the seller moved the needle so "0" was "40"psi and let him set off on an 18 hour journey with the truck. The motor is salvageable, but it needs an oil pump.

This changed plans a bit, so we dropped the e21 off at my warehosue, and I lent Jake my Xterra to head back up to MI so he didn't have to rent a $450 one way uhaul to get home.

TLDR: Linda is at the ClassicDaily HQ getting finished off!

-She's getting rust repaired: small spot on drivers fender, small spot at battery box. Some clear failure redone, a rocker dent removed, rockers repainted, few dents removed, trim shadowlined, etc
                -Dyno tune: this involves fabricating an intake pipe to remove AFM, finally, and getting a proper TPS set up so it's not just running on manifold pressure
                -Cruise control bracket fabbed
                -A/C conversion finished off with Sanden Compressor and custom lines

This should bring the car to the next level to get it ready for sale! With cruise, cold a/c, and dyno numbers I think the car will do well, and will help me thin the herd. It's a sad day, but I did what I wanted to do with the car and have found that the hoopty style builds suit me much better than the nice cars that I build and have trouble enjoying. End goal is M3 and hoopty in the stable. Hoping to get there sooner than later, but you all know how that goes by this point, lol.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Selling Linda is probably a wise, but sad, choice.

You can build another one when your business makes you rich beyond your wildest dreams and you have way too much garage space.

I accept my responsibility in this plan: to keep buying lots of stuff from you.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                    Selling Linda is probably a wise, but sad, choice.

You can build another one when your business makes you rich beyond your wildest dreams and you have way too much garage space.

I accept my responsibility in this plan: to keep buying lots of stuff from you.
                    Yessir- the hoopty 325iS has taken Linda's place. Was fun to build, and I'm glad I built it, but life presses on, and the parts and M3 need my attention. You've already done a great job at acting responsibly as of late!

Linda's rust repair is underway. For the r134 conversion I ended up with this bracket: https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/prod...ersion-bracket
                    and this compressor: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04709-vua

Jake is going to make the lines.

The initial rust repair was only battery box and drivers fender bottom, but they ended up finding a touch more in that area, so it's all getting cut out and repaired properly.

Comment

Linda teaser

Comment

Oh yeah. This is going to look so good when it is done!

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                          Oh yeah. This is going to look so good when it is done!
                          So stoked!!

Painter is terrible at taking photos, but just seeing it outside.... yum

Comment

Working...
                          X