X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    Looking good!
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    Looks great man! Stoked you're moving forward on this!!
    Thanks! Feels great to have this out of the way. The rest of the build is just awaiting either a tax refund or some parts to sell and I should be able to acquire what I need and get it buttoned up pretty quickly.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Whats next on your purchase list?
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Whats next on your purchase list?
        Cylinder head rebuild is next with the billet 272 cam sitting on my kitchen table. Once that's done I've gotta grab my gaskets and whatnot, and then pick up my long tubes and oil pan baffle from IE and I should be good to go!

Comment

Looking good Sir. You going to visit Kevin for the head work?

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
            Looking good Sir. You going to visit Kevin for the head work?

MJ
            Thanks Matt! I am going to drop the head off at Kevin's. I was really hoping to have John @wottech build me a cylinder head (have been speaking with him about it for a while), but I've opted to keep it simple for now.

I wanted to hear others thoughts on whether to put in new rockers in or not. I'm leaning with "they'll be fine" since this engine is healthy and I've only got a 272 cam and won't be revving to the moon.

I've gotta drop off those headers soon, too!
            Last edited by AWDBOB; 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Thanks Matt! I am going to drop the head off at Kevin's. I was really hoping to have John @wottech build me a cylinder head (have been speaking with him about it for a while), but I've opted to keep it simple for now.

I wanted to hear others thoughts on whether to put in new rockers in or not. I'm leaning with "they'll be fine" since this engine is healthy and I've only got a 272 cam and won't be revving to the moon.

I've gotta drop off those headers soon, too!

Initially on my M10 build with the 284 cam I was not planning to replace the rocker arms (104k on engine) but one of the rocker shafts had a burr on the end that unfortunately scored 4 of the rocker arm bushings during removal. At that point I just got all 8 and two new rocker shafts so they were all the same. I used the Febi arms because the factory parts are big $$$.

I would replace the arms based on the condition of the inner bushings. If they look good with no major wear then they should be fine. Others with more M20 experience may have more to add and I would like to hear their thoughts as well.

Yes we'll have to get together soon and make our parts exchange. Just let me know.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                Initially on my M10 build with the 284 cam I was not planning to replace the rocker arms (104k on engine) but one of the rocker shafts had a burr on the end that unfortunately scored 4 of the rocker arm bushings during removal. At that point I just got all 8 and two new rocker shafts so they were all the same. I used the Febi arms because the factory parts are big $$$.

I would replace the arms based on the condition of the inner bushings. If they look good with no major wear then they should be fine. Others with more M20 experience may have more to add and I would like to hear their thoughts as well.

Yes we'll have to get together soon and make our parts exchange. Just let me know.
                That is also what happened to the M20 that came out of this car, in addition to the rocker shaft holds in the head that were snapped off

If they look alright upon removal I'm going to reuse them, unless others have any strict thoughts against it.

It seems that RPM is the killer on the rocker arms. Many cam threads say "as a precautionary measure always replace them (in addition to valve springs)" but on a motor that checks out it seems like I'll likely be fine without replacing them.

Comment

Fun day today- I was able to order everything needed to get this thing on the road, and also put together an itemized list of everything I've got in this car.

Including the car I'm sitting right at $10K for everything, which isn't bad at all. This also means that going M20 (fully finished/dressed/modded) saved me an additional $7K over the 24v swap route (finished).

Food for thought for those doing a 24v swap the "right way".

Spreadsheet link for anyone interested:

Sheet1 ENGINE,Cost,Purchase Location M20B25 Longblock w/accssories, harness, ECU, AFM, G260 seal kit+parts, conti timing belt/tensioner, etc,$550,Matt Weimer Billet 272 Cam (IE/Bimmerheads),$280,Bimmerheads IE Long Tube Headers,$610,IE Billet Throttle Cable Bushings,$35,Garagistic Windage Tray,$...

Comment

Love build spreadsheets. I need to clean mine up. Will post it as somewhat of a comparison for this one so people can get an idea of the differences. I’m definitely skimping out on a few things (that I’ll definitely be doing later on down the line) but I think it’s useful information either way for people thinking about a swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Love build spreadsheets. I need to clean mine up. Will post it as somewhat of a comparison for this one so people can get an idea of the differences. I’m definitely skimping out on a few things (that I’ll definitely be doing later on down the line) but I think it’s useful information either way for people thinking about a swap
                      You're doing your swap the right way! I'm sure it'll be far more affordable than the trajectory I was on. I always go too far in depth. If I would've kept the 328 I had and just used that to get the engine in/running I could've modded it later on, but oh well. I'm glad I went the route I did, as the chassis is completely finished now with suspension mods, and when time passes I can do a V8 swap of sorts and be able to focus on that alone.

I'll be interested to see your cost after its in/running/driving!

Comment

You're doing your swap the right way! I'm sure it'll be far more affordable than the trajectory I was on. I always go too far in depth. If I would've kept the 328 I had and just used that to get the engine in/running I could've modded it later on, but oh well. I'm glad I went the route I did, as the chassis is completely finished now with suspension mods, and when time passes I can do a V8 swap of sorts and be able to focus on that alone.

I'll be interested to see your cost after its in/running/driving!
                        haha...I might be checking out an s52 with a blown headgasket today...

Very interested in your future v8 swap. The only reason I'm not more seriously considering it is the lack of support for brake booster fitting and I know that's a big reason why you aren't going that route yet
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

haha...I might be checking out an s52 with a blown headgasket today...

Very interested in your future v8 swap. The only reason I'm not more seriously considering it is the lack of support for brake booster fitting and I know that's a big reason why you aren't going that route yet
                          You're exactly right.

There are a few hurdles I still have yet to get over:

1) I would like to see an E34 remote booster setup in person
                          2) Oil capacity for modified 302 oil pan (4qts after mod, insufficient for track days without a proper baffle)

I know some think it's a 'trashy' swap, but this car will have an EFI 302 in it someday (done right w/ al heads and matching c/i setup). There's no sense in an LS1 if my goal is 300whp. I personally think that 300 reliable horsies to the tire that can be used/abused on a stock bottom end (that can be easily rebuilt at Napa) in an E30 is all you need when your chassis is setup right. And I think I can get it done for exactly what I was going to have into my 24v setup all said and done.

But that's for down the road. Oh, and if you decide to do any mods to your M52 when it's out, I have a spare S52 crank I didn't end up using.

Comment

You're exactly right.

1) I would like to see an E34 remote booster setup in person
                            2) Oil capacity for modified 302 oil pan (4qts after mod, insufficient for track days without a proper baffle)

I know some think it's a 'trashy' swap, but this car will have an EFI 302 in it someday (done right w/ al heads and matching c/i setup). There's no sense in an LS1 if my goal is 300whp. I personally think that 300 reliable horsies to the tire that can be used/abused on a stock bottom end (that can be easily rebuilt at Napa) in an E30 is all you need when your chassis is setup right. And I think I can get it done for exactly what I was going to have into my 24v setup all said and done.
                            I think 300whp is a completely reasonable power goal while also being ridiculously fun.

All the 302 swaps I've seen use steel oil pans, wouldn't it be pretty easy to weld in a decent baffle?

I personally want go the route of a 1uz, even though I'm definitely swayed by parts availability and price of a domestic powerplant.
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I just saw your ad for your m52/s52 hybrid for sale on ebay. Dont sell it! Once people get their tax checks, you will have tons of people hitting you up for parts (including myself).

PS, if you need help recovering your seats, hmu, I have done several seats and can hook you up.

Comment

I think 300whp is a completely reasonable power goal while also being ridiculously fun.

All the 302 swaps I've seen use steel oil pans, wouldn't it be pretty easy to weld in a decent baffle?

I personally want go the route of a 1uz, even though I'm definitely swayed by parts availability and price of a domestic powerplant.
                                Absolutely! I have never seen a 'bolt on' 1uz make very good power, but I do agree- they are great motors, especially with boost. The appeal of the domestic powerplant is weight with aluminum heads = similar to m20, power delivery, ease and cost of modification, and good support for fitting it in an E30 in a clean fashion.

The 302 pans are steel, but I still feel uneasy about the capacity even with a baffle since 1qt of the pan is being taken out. I'm sure it'll be fine on the street, but my worry would be on a track day. I've got plenty of time to establish a suitable solution, though.

Originally posted by super51fan View Post
                                I just saw your ad for your m52/s52 hybrid for sale on ebay. Dont sell it! Once people get their tax checks, you will have tons of people hitting you up for parts (including myself).

PS, if you need help recovering your seats, hmu, I have done several seats and can hook you up.
                                I just posted a ton of stuff up locally a few days ago! I hope someone buys the M52/S52 setup soon. It'd be so great in an E30. Let me know when you're ready to swing back down!

I just might do that once I decide to tackle the interior down the road. I am currently trying to find a suitable place for getting the seats done in the M3, but that's back east unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X