Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another 325IX repair thread (Now with more TURBO!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It didnt run better. It happened again.

I originally swapped ECUs when I fought the ICV problem. Not thinking it could be problematic....I left it swapped. Tonight I swapped back ECUs wondering whether or not that was the issue....turns out it was. Idles perfect. No CEL. No fluctuating idle. I'm a happy camper.
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

It's never easy is it?

Finally peeked up under the dash and saw that this does have the relay with the broken fuse link..

So I found it

Opened it up

fixed with a 7.5amp fuse...

Now this is the part where the light goes out. Right? Right???? RIGHT?!?!?!!!
      Still on....even when the key is simply turned on. I'm not sure what to try next....The relay under the dash now clicks and i can hear the relays under the bay click when the key is turned. Thats more than it did before.

Also had a few minutes to repair the threads on the front axles i picked up. Thread files are great!

325IX Build Thread
      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

The parts acquisition begins. This isnt going to be some big fancy or pretty build. As a young father my time to do work is fairly limited.

I found this about 10 minutes from my house and snatched it right up. The plan is for a very basic 2.5 build with refreshed internals. I dont think I have the patience to track down the 2.7 stuff unless it were all presented as a kit to drop in. The plan is a very small turbo for a strong midrange that fades away at high rpm. I dont need a high HP car. Just something punchy for DDing.

The plan:
        Refreshed engine
        Obx header adapter
        460cc rx7 injectors
        Megasquirt pnp
        Clutch?

I plan on retaining a/c and p/s so piping should be interesting.

Let me know what ya think!

325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

great progress! I know how you feel tracking down vac leaks and issues with idle on these cars. When mine warms up it idles probably 300 higher than it does when you first start it. I keep thinking it's the TPS, or a vac leak. I haven't had time to dive into it lately either. I also think there is an issue with my fueling as well... been driving it and it will just cut out and start to buck, but sometimes it runs so smooth. It's always a riddle and like you said, never easy with these cars.

Do you want to message me with some information on that spacer? I think it's a good idea for me to look into it.

Comment

If you're rebuilding the engine I would just go a head and do a 2.7. Its not anymore work and barely anymore money.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Do you mind going down a quick list of whats needed? I know the 2.7 crank has to come from a 325e. What about rods and pistons though?

Turbo manifold came in. Used obx adapter. Twin wastegate runners. Should hold boost better than the single wastegate runner model. A Tial MVS should do the trick.

Also finally put on center caps. They are dirty and some of them are loose...anyone know if its possible to get new bmw decals for the middle?

325IX Build Thread
              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Good possibility you can buy those wheel decals here...

I'm excited to see this thing. The bottom of that fender is looking pretty grizzly. Mine has issues in almost the same spot.

Comment

Lookin good! I am still contemplating going turbo this spring, but just worried about reliability (And front diff) because it's my only car.

Seeing that side view makes me want to paint my IX white.
                  89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                  I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Can't wait to see how the turbo build goes. I'll be going down the same route here soon enough, just slowly sourcing my parts. Grabbed a front/right axle/control arm/strut housing, both rear axles still connected to trailing arms, and a front diff for free from another local ix guy that just wanted the parts to go to a good home!

I'm hoping you go the 2.7 route cause that's what I plan on doing. I'll keep my eyes on this build! Cheers.
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                      Do you mind going down a quick list of whats needed? I know the 2.7 crank has to come from a 325e. What about rods and pistons though?
                      Eta/M21 Crank, Eta Rods, i Pistons. You can also use Seta pistons for even lower compression.
                      My Garage
                      Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                        Good possibility you can buy those wheel decals here...

I'm excited to see this thing. The bottom of that fender is looking pretty grizzly. Mine has issues in almost the same spot.
                        Thank you for the link! I will take my digital calipers and make sure I get the right size. Yeah both front fenders are gone at the bottom...Depending on cost of replacement, I may pick up a welder and simply repair these myself.

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                        Lookin good! I am still contemplating going turbo this spring, but just worried about reliability (And front diff) because it's my only car.

Seeing that side view makes me want to paint my IX white.
                        Thanks! Reliability is always a concern, but from what I've seen as long as you aren't dumping the clutch the front diff should hold up just fine.

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                        Can't wait to see how the turbo build goes. I'll be going down the same route here soon enough, just slowly sourcing my parts. Grabbed a front/right axle/control arm/strut housing, both rear axles still connected to trailing arms, and a front diff for free from another local ix guy that just wanted the parts to go to a good home!

I'm hoping you go the 2.7 route cause that's what I plan on doing. I'll keep my eyes on this build! Cheers.
                        Score!!! Awesome grab on the free bits! I am looking into the 2.7 setup but not convinced yet its worth the extra money. I already have a complete 2.5 bottom end. Maybe for a torque mid-range car a 2.7 setup is the way to go...Cost is a factor though.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                        Eta/M21 Crank, Eta Rods, i Pistons. You can also use Seta pistons for even lower compression.
                        Thank you very much!! I think 9.0:1 is a good ratio to shoot for. This wont be a super high boost setup. The I pistons should do fine iirc...they put it at 9.1:1?

It's funny, I updated the title with "turbo" and now this page is getting a LOT of attention.
                        325IX Build Thread
                        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                          Thank you very much!! I think 9.0:1 is a good ratio to shoot for. This wont be a super high boost setup. The I pistons should do fine iirc...they put it at 9.1:1?

It's funny, I updated the title with "turbo" and now this page is getting a LOT of attention.
                          Stock i pistons will be fine and the eta crank is the way to go, but the M21 is forged.

Also r3v seems to love turbo'd ix's
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

I think ill try to track down the m21 crank. Forged ftw.

Again thank you for the help!

For IX owner's, if you need replacement decals for the stock 15 inch weaves, 70mm decals will work.

And a nice shot from the bank this morning

325IX Build Thread
                            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Got some goodies!

Gonna trim the studs off and mount with 3m tape.

Then this...

And then added some rice for good measure.

Just need to figure out how to get to the passenger side indicator. Turn signal works....but the running light does not
                              Replaced the bulb with brand new bulbs, I'm guessing its been mucked with since there is euro trim up front.
                              325IX Build Thread
                              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Or you could go for the 2.8 http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...Building_a_2.8
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X