Jerkin with my Jensen #19998 (11/6)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lemansguy
    replied
    haha that's awesome someone has a shell you can use, and CONUS at that! good luck! cant wait to see where this goes

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    DEVELOPMENTS

    So, I posted my rusty cowl in a JH group on Facebook. A gentleman chimed in that he had a shell he was going to scrap and he'd be more than happy to cut the cowl out. So I asked where he was and how much of the shell was left.

    Davenport, IA.

    Everything but the rear is still there.

    So some weekend soon I'll be trekking up to get that. I cannot wait.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I want to tell you to scrap that nasty car, but honestly that probably isnt a terrible piece to make if you have a brake

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by delamaize
    Honestly, I'd see how much Reproduction metal will be, if it's available at all. If not, This might just be a death nail. That is a lot of cancer, and who knows what it looks like in other places.
    I know, lol, I've gone rust hunting and am confident I've found it all. There's not a lot of places for it to hide.

    I'm waiting on a reply from a place that bought all Jensen's tooling back in the 80s to see if they make this piece. If not, I'll be making it by hand. Someone put the car together by hand....why shouldn't I be able to fix it?

    Leave a comment:


  • delamaize
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Now for a defining moment of what would you do?



    This was under the windscreen finishing trim. I've shot an email to a company in England who bought all the Jensen tooling when they folded up, but that's probably going to be crazyyyy expensive. I'm thinking, and discussing with Paul, that I can make this entire thing up of several smaller bits, formed with a metal brake and stretcher....or I can try to make use of a parts e28 I have to get the bends/angles I need. It's all going to be hidden under the windscreen trim, so as long as it's there to support everything it'll be fine.


    Thoughts?
    Honestly, I'd see how much Reproduction metal will be, if it's available at all. If not, This might just be a death nail. That is a lot of cancer, and who knows what it looks like in other places.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Now for a defining moment of what would you do?



    This was under the windscreen finishing trim. I've shot an email to a company in England who bought all the Jensen tooling when they folded up, but that's probably going to be crazyyyy expensive. I'm thinking, and discussing with Paul, that I can make this entire thing up of several smaller bits, formed with a metal brake and stretcher....or I can try to make use of a parts e28 I have to get the bends/angles I need. It's all going to be hidden under the windscreen trim, so as long as it's there to support everything it'll be fine.


    Thoughts?

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by E30SPDFRK
    Good luck getting the valve covers sealed again
    Already have the rubber gaskets installed. We'll see, lol.

    Originally posted by Mr. Burns
    I enjoyed your taste in troubled vehicles.
    Bet you can't wait to see what I get next month!

    Originally posted by LateFan
    Yeah, even if they looked good, there's all this chaos under the sheet metal! They tried to tell us it were the next Austin-Healey 3000, but it wurnt.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to strip 'er down and start over. Was hoping I'd have the thing driving by Spring, but nooooope. Luckily the rust is pretty localized to the entire driver's side bulkhead area. I'll persevere. I've wanted a cheap English roadster that isn't a TR6 or MGB forever. The obscurity of this thing makes me want to save it even more.

    Pooshed it into the garage since there is a hurricane coming up. Took off the left front wing to assess damage. I wasn't unhappy with the results. I didn't know these had fibreglass wings up front. ^_^




    It's all manageable in there. I'll pull the windscreen and dash next and see what that reveals. Got the hood to shut and latch. Had to adjust the seized bonnet cable. I guess I'll order a new one eventually. Add it to the list.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Yeah, even if they looked good, there's all this chaos under the sheet metal! They tried to tell us it were the next Austin-Healey 3000, but it wurnt.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    I enjoyed your taste in troubled vehicles.

    Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • E30SPDFRK
    replied
    Good luck getting the valve covers sealed again

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    Lol

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    On to more pics....

    The engine bay. I cleaned it a bit, of course after the pics.



    ...and here's the bad part(s)

    Under the brake booster. I suspect there was a brake fluid leak and that ate the paint away. There was a pile of leaves in this area, and when I vacuumed them out the hole appeared.



    Driver's side hood hinge mount. The passenger isn't bad, but will prob need some patching for longevity.



    .....annnnnd under the fuel tank. Some plate steel and seam sealer will take care of this easily enough.



    The tank itself was empty of fuel, but it's toast inside. Looks like they sell alloy tanks online for these cars. The driver's door is toast, so it'll get replaced. The passenger door is still salvageable. The floor pans are still good.

    Ordered the timing belt and rollers last night. In the meantime I'll check and adjust the valves. Apparently these engines are prone to burning exhaust valves if they're not adjusted properly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    That Slammin boy...

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    What is wrong with you! haha

    Leave a comment:


  • cleanasse30
    replied
    Looks like quite the project, good luck!

    Leave a comment:

Working...