No announcement yet.

Lazurblau 325i project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished swapping in the e36 steering rack after chipping away at it the last couple weekends

old rack out

New rack with e36 tie rods

Had a hell of a time getting the new rack in so i didnt take pics of the opening in the firewall. Also fwiw I installed it with the spacers on top.

I kept the e30 reservoir lines, just had to bend the line to the steering rack to fit with the new e36 high pressure line.

Some pics of how i routed the lines

Finally got to use this diy toe alignment kit from hard motorsport

Also fun fact for those that didnt know: If you're using e36 tie rods, you can use your fan clutch wrench since they require a 32mm.

Took it for a spin after getting the toe dialed in and I am a true believer of the hype. I agree with the people that say this is the best modification for your $ that you can do to your e30. Just a crack of the wheel and the car dives into corners. The z3 rack must be insane. Also with the e36 rods the front feels so sturdy, installed the spacers on top of the rack and not a single bit of bump steer. Saying I'm extremely pleased would be an understatement.

Also acquired this thing this weekend:

ZF 5-speed from an e34 530i. I saw one local to me at the KCK pick-n-pull so i brought my tools up there saturday and was able to wrestle it out. A bunch of busted knuckles later and I now have a v8 transmission lol.
    Now, to sell it or m60 swap?? ;D
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I'm pro m60 swap cuz swaps are cool and you're thorough and thoughtful with your mods, it'd definitely be a good read.
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Did you align the tracking with the wheels off the ground? If so, it will be totally wrong.

Comment

I wasnt exactly sure how to go about it since the e36 rod outers need to rotate to adjust. I set the rack at center and measured the rods equally then brought the wheels to 0 toe. Thanks for bringing that up, I'll revisit it sometime this week. The car isnt my daily and I still need to get it professionally aligned at some point.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Yeah you need to do it on the ground. And I would use it as a temp fix. I know some have a 1/4" of toe in. That way as your driving down the road your tires track true/straight. Not sure on the e30. For my jeep that is how I would do it.
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd
            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback :up: I'll take another crack at it this week.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Mtech 1 on after 3 years of collecting dust.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I thought I was the only one to buy parts and let them sit for years lol
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Been looking into a new set of wheels, something 16" because I love the way 16s look on e30s, not too big, not too small, just right. Especially with some meaty tires, which is also my intention, probably 225/50 square setup.
                    I ordered a 16x8 steel wheel from us wheels for test fit and I cant decide how I feel about it. The fitment is good, clears the calipers with 5mm spacer and will still fit with a fender roll. Thoughts?

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan of steel wheels but I do like 16's
                      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

fan

Comment

Took the leap this weekend and bought a v8 donor to start an m60 swap in the e30 :shock:. Wife just rolled her eyes.
                          1995 740i with non-vanos m60b40.
                          Probably the biggest leap I've taken in my life lol but I got it for $1200 and has some good parts on it that can be sold to make some of it back.
                          The m60 in this is very quiet and pulls very well.
                          So far im $1300 in on the two biggest items + extras so, I don't think that's too bad, but then again what do I know

Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I used to run steel wheels on a lot of my e30s. Ill post a few photos once I figure out how to from my phone. lol

Comment

That E38 looks like there is nothing wrong with it! lol
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                That E38 looks like there is nothing wrong with it! lol
                                A lot you cant see in the photo. Rear trunk latch is broken and rear taillight is busted, heater core is bypassed because of leak (correctly though) and a/c doesn't work. Both front window motors don't work, battery is going bad and its got a warped rotor.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Working...
                                X