No announcement yet.

Codym42's M52 318is UPDATE: Added a ZHP to the collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good, just wondering if you can get the yellow paint markings off the front of the engine cover? That would drive me crazy! I just ordered the Garagistic diff bushing as well. When sealing up the diff, did you use just RTV, or a gasket, or nothing at all?
    Again, nice build!

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
      Looks good, just wondering if you can get the yellow paint markings off the front of the engine cover? That would drive me crazy! I just ordered the Garagistic diff bushing as well. When sealing up the diff, did you use just RTV, or a gasket, or nothing at all?
      Again, nice build!
      Thanks!

Its funny you mention that. I actually scrubbed off that paint last week. There have been several people that asked me about that haha. On the diff cover, I used a factory paper gasket but I used RTV to hold it in place. It was a little awkward trying to install with the diff still in the car.
      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I haven't updated since last JULY! Life has been too busy and stressful lately. So, let me try to remember what I've done since then...

I did get the A/C working. I shortened the e30 hose from the compressor to condenser and had to get a splicer to go from the firewall hose to the compressor (using m20 hose). I used a BL6107 splicer because the sizes of hose are different. I originally tried to use an e36 low side fitting and e30 high side fitting on the compressor. I dropped the car off with my a/c guy and it leaked really bad. Apparently the fittings were pushing against each other and causing a leak. One of them he replaced with an e46 fitting. He originally put in too much freon and it kept shutting off. He took some out to get the right pressures and it works. BUT, the a/c cannot keep up in the Georgia heat. And when I say can't keep up, I mean it absolutely sucks. I don't know if something else is wrong or what, but I honestly feel like I wasted my money putting A/C in this car. So, yeah... live and learn?

On July 25th, I won a 1991 318i sedan on eBay for $2025. I drove an hour across Atlanta to pick it up. The owner said it ran but he had never registered it and would rather me not drive it home. I didn't care and decided I'd try anyway. What he failed to tell me was that it had a HUGE fuel leak at the filter from a rotten hose. And it was only firing on 3 cylinders. I fucking hate people. I had it towed home and eventually fixed both of those issues. Turns out the misfire was from a bad DME. Also, had to replace the heater core (another thing the previous owner lied about).

I toyed around with the idea of selling my Mazdaspeed and building the 318i sedan as a nice daily. But I was also considering E46 330's or an e36 m3. I drove one '95 m3 and didn't like it. The price was right but it was too much of a project.

Then, in late September someone on ATLbimmers was thinking about selling his e46 ZHP coupe. There were only 3 pictures and he was basically putting a feeler out to see how much it was worth. I was definitely interested. About a day later, I got a call from my buddy telling me that he talked to the owner and that I needed to buy it. I ended up getting it for a very fair price.

The ZHP is a one owner car with all of the preventative maintenance already done to it. It had a bad scrape on the passenger door and some interior bits that were broken. Oh, and original suspension. The car only had 101k at the time I purchased it. I have since replaced the door and most of the suspension. Its a fantastic daily.

And what happened to the 318i sedan? I sold it about a week after I got the ZHP. I never drove the car more than about a mile and some guys came from Nashville to buy it. I told them it was a huge risk to drive it all the way from Atlanta but they did it anyway. And I'm proud to say that the car made it without any issues.

Pictures down below!

Last edited by Codym42; 06-18-2019, 09:31 AM.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
          I was just wondering if the red46 skidplate and the stock tray will work together, looks like they do. Any issues with having both?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I added pics to my post above!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I was just wondering if the red46 skidplate and the stock tray will work together, looks like they do. Any issues with having both?
            They work great together. I never see people run both but it worked for me.
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

dude, I don't want to tell you what to do, but don't rep ECS. they are doing fine absorbing small businesses on their own without free advertising.

Love this car, either way. red is so good looking.

Comment

Thanks for the exhaust info cody!

Did you ever figure out your speed sensor in the diff?

Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

About time for an update... only been 2 years
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

This E30 is awesome, love everything you've done to it!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      About time for an update... only been 2 years
                      It is long overdue. Unfortunately I haven't done a whole lot to it lately. I'll try to get some pics and updates when it gets warmer outside!

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                      This E30 is awesome, love everything you've done to it!
                      Thanks!
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Frog View Post
                        Thanks for the exhaust info cody!

Did you ever figure out your speed sensor in the diff?
                        Sorry for the late response. I had to use the speed sensor from the Z3. It works fine.The e30 speed sensor doesn't work in the Z3 diff.
                        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                        X