X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good simon
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! Hopefully soon I will have two seats, then I can take people along with me...

In this weeks progress, I had a few minor interior/ cosmetic items that had been bothering my for quite a while.

First was the windshield surround area. The trim was cracked and falling off so I had taken it off and I was left with a bit of a mess. The plan was to clean the residue off and paint it with some SEM Trim paint. Not a gloss finish because I want it to fall into the background and not attract attention.

I was a little paranoid about overspray which means lots of masking.

Being something that is meant to "disappear" makes it hard to photograph. Came out nearly perfect, still must've been something because a few spots didnt accept the paint too well. I will deal with that later. Good enough for now.

Next was the center console area that had the heater/ vent lines and the flasher module just hanging out in no mans land and after much contorting of my body, I got it out. So happy to have this out!

After that I got back under there and used a couple zipties to clean up the flasher and wires. I still have a better final solution but that will require the dash to come out and dealing with some wiring. It will also allow me to get the last bit of the sound deadening thats up against the firewall.

Overall Im quite happy with the overall outcome and will be taking another canyon run tomorrow into Malibu.

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nobody was able to join but I went anyways... A cruise down PCH up to Topanga Canyon to Old Topanga Canyon, then to Stunt Road and back to PCH. Awesome drive.

I didnt bring the GoPro this time, maybe I will remember it next time. I still have a longer video I need to figure out if I want to post or not.
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Interior shot looks good. Scrape up the residue on the floorboard and throw down some battleship grey and call it good?

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
            Interior shot looks good. Scrape up the residue on the floorboard and throw down some battleship grey and call it good?
            Thanks.

The center tunnel and the firewall are the only remaining areas that have residue left, Once its all scraped up they will all get some khaki paint on them. Trying to keep the color similar to the tan panels without being glossy
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

We usually do a new years day drive. Will you be hungover? lol
              Actually I've been fighting the flu for a week now...

Shoot me a text next time!

I've seen some success with the dry ice method getting that crap off
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Another weekend, another canyon run! Got up early again, its damn cold driving with an open top but Im getting used to it, plus its not going to get much worse.

Anyways, this time I brought a few more friends. We actually were planning to go on the drive with the Lotus Club but after our sole Lotus owner got tired of talking about Lotus' we decided to ditch them and go on our own drive. The cool thing was that all 4 cars were small 4 cylinders. The NOT cool thing was that we got to Angeles Crest a little late (~10am) so the cyclists and tourists were already out and about ..

The cars:
                -2005 Lotus Elise. Typical Lotus guy bolt-ons. Ohlins coilovers. Exhaust. Lighter wheels with sticky tires. Fastest car, yet he's the slowest in the group
                -1977 Alfa Spider. Full resto. Has a hot 2liter in it with Webers and all the Alfaholics parts you can throw at it. He's owned a few Alfas prior that were featured on Petrolicious, but those werent his own builds. Those were sold and he kept the one he built. Quick driver and fast car for something that looks like a show car.
                -(not pictured) 2000-something Mini with the NA 1.6. 100% Stock. 150k miles. Fastest driver in the group. Same friend who owns the Mustang. Cant wait until the Mustang and his E30 are sold because hopefully he will get something old and cool.
                -Last is me. Im quick in the group, not the fastest but I also dont go 100%, especially in the Roadster. Not yet. Gotta get more seat time.

Ready to climb the mountain

We didnt end up stopping, just made a U-turn and came back down, so I had to just snap a selfie. I was trying to get some nice background, but the Alfa was blury and the mountain came out ok. Can you tell I was still a little cold!.. crazy how much the temp changes in the shade. I didnt bother trying to take any more pics because the phone is usually just tucked away...

I have some other fun stuff Im working on, hopefully I will have that update in the middle of the week or something...

Until next weekend!
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Sounds like fun (cant see photos for some reason I blame tapatalk) You owe me a drive (not sure why, but you do) I'll be back in town 1/18 Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

So awesome Simon! Great work, can't wait to see what comes next.
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

lol, he says it's cold... As I stand and wait for the bus in a cozy 15 degrees.

Comment

Thanks guys. Definitely trying to get my moneys worth and using my time wisely. so again, another early run up to Malibu, did the same route Im getting comfortable with. Topanga Canyon -> Old Topanga Canyon -> Stunt Road and back down the PCH. Actually fired up the GoPro this time and got some footage. I think this one will actually make it to youtube... eventually... for now, some pics.

Same view as last time...

but the other side...

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

First of two videos done... Im still learning and having fun with this, any tips are welcome.

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Nice. It sounds awesome. That is a hell of a throw on your shifter. Do you prefer it that way or do you plan to add a short shifter?
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                              Nice. It sounds awesome. That is a hell of a throw on your shifter. Do you prefer it that way or do you plan to add a short shifter?
                              Thanks, the noises are quite intoxicating.

The shift throw is staying as-is, its part of the appeal of a 50 year old car haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Drove up the Angeles Crest this weekend. Couldnt go as far into it as I hoped, but still a fun little drive.

Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X