*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
    An older version of this machine is what I use. Simple, but most of the stuff I make is pretty simple too.

3 axis KL-6090 Desktop CNC Router (24 x 36 x 6 inch), Mach3 Ethernet Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8R6ZWE..._ZQ0.BbD6ZJXB1

My definition of "older" is quite different lol.

1981 Kitamura MyCenter2 3 axis...

It has 19bk of bubble memory with 3 line drip feed (or punch tape, which was removed).

Runs on pure g-code, but if you are crafty, you can put in can cycles to save space.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Been a while since I posted anything. Just working on dumb detail stuff. Alternator mount.

Made a floor mount shifter since I’m switching to an early trans and don’t want to use the sheet metal shifter carriage

Remains to be seen how well it works.

Throttle body adapter to shift the angle and to use a Volvo 960 cable 65mm throttle body

Grabbed a backup bellhousing so I can make a backup trans if needed.

Machines some caliper piston masking plugs for a set of Volvo R calipers I’m throwing custom paint at

Made a custom bed side table for my wife for Christmas.

Not pictured
      -got an OEM S40 engine harness to mod
      -got all the clutch bits final assembled
      -got the trans attached for last time
      -made FPR mount
      -made IACV mount
      -started fabricating heater hose hard lines

Comment

You had me going through withdrawals, thinking you went MIA on us.
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
          You had me going through withdrawals, thinking you went MIA on us.

Nah, just most of it is boooooooring.

Comment

Wow! As usual amazing work!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

"made some custom stuff, made it looks really nice, put together an entire car out of CNC'd parts, swapped in a 5cylinder Volvo engine into my Miata... OH, i also made my wife a custom end table in the spare 15 min I had and it turned out nicer than your whole house." -typical post in this thread

Great work mate. How did you get the bed table to bend like that? Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                "made some custom stuff, made it looks really nice, put together an entire car out of CNC'd parts, swapped in a 5cylinder Volvo engine into my Miata... OH, i also made my wife a custom end table in the spare 15 min I had and it turned out nicer than your whole house." -typical post in this thread

Great work mate. How did you get the bed table to bend like that? Steam?

[emoji38] sorry, I just assumed people would be more excited to see it when it’s all done and making choo choo noises, and less interested in putting an alternator on the engine still sitting on the roller cart.

I made it out of a sheet of plywood and I used the router to CNC the end pieces (staggered two different lengths), then cut straights and glued/nailed them making a big stack. Epoxy coated the top. You can see the stitched seam with the two different length end pieces here.

Comment

I think we all enjoy the putting together maybe more than the actual vroom vroom. That table is great and I'm sure your wife loved it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Heater tubes and a glamour shot

Comment

Oh! She's got hardly anything on...oh my!

Just a minute ago I was looking up X-Ray Auto on 46th...Olde Ballarde yah sure!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        Oh! She's got hardly anything on...oh my!

Just a minute ago I was looking up X-Ray Auto on 46th...Olde Ballarde yah sure!

Here’s a project car for ya

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                          Well, I’ve got a 215mm recess in the Volvo dual mass flywheel. I have three options, A) buy a larger E30 disk made for dual mass and have it trimmed (losing some friction material $120), B) buy an E21 sprung center 215mm disk and drop it in (sub $100) or C) pay to have an unsprung BMW center put in a Volvo disk by one of the various performance clutch places (+/- $200 for stock sized organic friction disk). I know $80-$100 doesn’t seem like a ton, but I’m on an uber tight budget. I do pretty much everything out of scraps or used parts.
                          I know I'm late to the party but I've got a brand new Luk unsprung 228mm clutch disk that's been collecting dust forever. If you want to try the shaved down 228 approach, I'll happily send it to you.
                          Build Thread

Comment

Very impressive and inspiring work :)

Comment

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post
                              I know I'm late to the party but I've got a brand new Luk unsprung 228mm clutch disk that's been collecting dust forever. If you want to try the shaved down 228 approach, I'll happily send it to you.

I appreciate it, but this wound up being a blunder on my part. I actually needed an unsprung 240mm disk. It’s silly, but I forgot to check if closed was zero on my calipers after a co-worker used them. They weren’t. I would up finding a Sachs clutch kit for a 90 535 on Amazon for cheap that had what I needed. I only used the disk and now have a new pressure plate that I’ll never use.

Comment

I always love when this thread gets updated. And it looks like it is nearly done. So, will this be running by the end of the month? If not what is the plan/eta?
                                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X