GunnarE30's 325i convertible build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GunnarE30's 325i convertible build thread

So I worked out a deal to get a 325i roller convertible. I'm planning on a Small Block Chevy swap, 5 speed manual, new diamantschwartz paint, M-Tech 1 body kit, Ground Control coil overs, BBS RS or LM or other BBS rims, and a lot more I don't know yet. I haven't seen the car yet, it will get delivered tomorrow or the next day. There shouldn't be any rust. The guy that GAVE it to me (yes, it was free) used it to swap the motor and trans into something else. I can't wait to get it. My dad had a 1991 M3 in diamantschwartz with the grey interior when I was really young. I'm 17 now and this is my first E30. I can't wait to get it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_172450.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	7250688

Edit: it's actually a 1992 318i
    Last edited by GunnarE30; 07-19-2017, 06:05 AM.

The car will be coming home in a few hours, I'll give an update with pics and a parts list tonight!

Comment

So I looked at the car today, turns out it's a 318i. It has the rare Recaro heated leather seats, manual roof, and it's a 1992. The car has done 287,000 miles. The body is straight and pretty much rust free. I can't believe I got it for free! Today I did my best to clean out all the parts stored in the interior, and I reinstalled all the interior panels I could. He gave me pretty much all the parts to the original 1.8l m42, so I'll be selling that stuff soon.

Comment

I got my first car for free when I was 17. It was a 65 VW Beetle that had rolled but had a factory fresh engine. Oh yes I had fun but if only e30s had been around then :)

Have fun and be safe
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Nice! Yeah this is actually my third car, my dad bought and built my first two on the basis that I keep good grades and work hard in football, and that I do the work on them with his help, learning. This will be my first project of my own and I can't wait!

Comment

Congrats, enjoy!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Does anyone know where I can fin the clips for the door panel for the car? I need the little plastic tabs for the bottom of the passenger side panel.

Comment

I'm starting to really like the looks of the m3 cabrio. Which do you guys think is the way to go? M technik 1 cabrio clone or m3 cabrio clone?

Comment

Nice

An MT1 kit wont fit on a 92 e30 without some modifications.

Considering the difficulty in securing these parts, I'm thinking an M3 tribute might be the way to go...although some of those parts are nla.

Comment

Good luck man, seems like a solid starting point for a project.

Unless you have some serious dough and/or great fab skills, I would recommend against the M3 cabrio route. Every other day I wish I hadn't done it!
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

He's throwing a SBC in there, so you might as well not worry about OEM stuff...

Buy this!
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I like that fiberglass kit a lot, 2mAn! I still want the car to look nice and clean, I don't want some like of parts pieced together that's fast. The SBC is just easy to work on and powerful.

Thanks, IronJoe for the info! I'm subbed to your build and that's what made me really fall for the m3 cab look!

Javier, I found an MT1 kit on eBay for like $600, and that's the route I will most likely go unless I grab fiberglass flares. I don't plan to buy any body stuff yet. I want a running car first. So what kind of modifications are we talking for a 92 MT1 clone?

Comment

What you are getting that Javier was telling you is that the Mtech1 kit doesnt work with the later cars, and especially verts. The only part that will bolt up is the front and it still wont look right because of the chrome bumper on the front and plastic bumper on the rear.

Send me a link to the mtech1 kit :)
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

2mAn, Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/263024467790

I have the plastic front bumper though....

I have seen a couple m tech 1 and 2 verts... Im just confused. Thanks for your help man, but can you go a little more into detail as to why it won't work?

Edit: highly doubt it's an original, 99% sure it's reproduction

Comment

Just a couple photos of it cleaned up a little. It's not as rough as I thought it was!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X