No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great work . what kind of grease do you use for the seat mechanisms?

Comment

Did you steam the foam yet to get it fluffed back up? Love seeing your updates
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

The grease I use for these, along with many many other automotive uses is Loctite LB8034. I've pictured it below for reference.

I have not yet steamed the foam, but I do intend to do so to make sure its plump and the new covers fit as good as possible.

Today I took the seat recline mechanisms to work and let them soak in the parts washer solvent tank for a few hours until the old grease had gone away. From there they got dropped into the 160F ultrasonic tank and cleaned completely of all filth, old grease residue and left over parts cleaner solvent. The heated bath has the added benefit from self flash drying when you pull them out...

After getting them home I lubricated all contact points with liberal applications of Loctite LB8034 and used compressed air to force it inbetween the plates and other places the syringe applicatior could not readily reach. Once done I wiped the excess from the edges and installed the pawl springs.

Shout out to jeffnhiscars for sending me a set of seat shocks to replace the old weak ones. They fit perfectly and I'm sure will restore the seat adjustment functions to as new. I can't really test them on the bench as they will surely rocket the unloaded mechanism to the extent of travel and I wouldn't be able to easy return them! Right now each mechanism is parked in the same bottom and seat back positions for the ease of assembly.

​​​​​​​

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Its been a bit since I had much of anything to update, I've been waiting and waiting for the interior but the day is nearly here. I'm expecting the seat and door panel kit next week, so I spent this weekend cleaning and tearing down the door panels and seat backs, and going over the last of the new parts to be consumed in this process.

Removing the skins from the door panels and seat backs is a lousy task, my fingers hurt, and my garage is a mess. Pretty high up the list of jobs I don't want to do again any time soon.

Front and rear door panels, and sport seat backs:

New seat parts:

Comment

Wow that is a lot of work removing the old material from those panels. Exciting to see it come to this point, although as others have said it's sad to see the build coming to a close.

Do you have any other builds going on at the moment, or future plans for any?

Maybe it's been asked before, but are you going with the original cloth?

Comment

Makes you realise why a good motor trimmer charges what they want, and people still pay it
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

No other projects of my own right now, although Jon keeps me busy with his.

Non original upholstery to THIS E30, which was natur vinyl as factor spec'd, however most originalest I could really manage while refreshing everything. My parts car was Anthracite Cloth, which was still available. From the factory you get the diagninal cloth and the solid cloth in matching dye lots. Unfortunately the solid cloth is non existent, so after much toiling I elected to go with black cloth in the same varient. I think it will fit well with the black vinyl and piping on the seats.

The interior upholstery arrived one day early from John Christy @ Nine Stitch. Everything best I can tell at this point looks great, and he even included two bags custom made with the spare material which will be rad as hell for carrying detailing and touch up supplies with the vehicle to car shows and various outings.

Hopefully I can lay the vinyl door panel sections in the sun tomorrow and they will relax.

I plan to upholster the rear side panels first (upper and lower) and install those.
                Then I will do the front door panels.
                Then the back seat, upper and lower.
                Then finally each of the front seats.

I have quite a lot of work ahead of me this week / weekend, we'll see how long this takes!

Comment

Those bags are awesome. I was very happy with ninestitch when I made my order with them. I am glad to see you getting to finally start the final parts of the build. Keep up the great work.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

That interior looks great. Those door panel pieces look nice and flat without any bunching.

How did you contact John? His website isn't as impressive as his work. lol

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                      That interior looks great. Those door panel pieces look nice and flat without any bunching.

How did you contact John? His website isn't as impressive as his work. lol
                      The fabric sections were a bit of a pain to get to lay flat, but I managed. Soooo much work upholstering the door panels. At first look you think it won't take long.... but man... 6 hours today to get both rear panels done, and one front panel.

I messaged John on Facebook and he texted back and forth from there.

Rear trim panels

Right rear installed

One front door panel, mocked up with the map pocket and arm rest.

Comment

Unreal. Great work Jordan.
                        17 Range Rover Sport SVR
                        14 Q5 TDI S-Line
                        ...on the hunt for another E30.

Comment

After seeing these door panels, I guess I am going to have to call John for a set.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Just went back to the beginning of this thread and the table of contents alone deserves a shout out.

Comment

Very nice as always. Also digging the table of contents in the first post. All long running threads should have one. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                                No other projects of my own right now, although Jon keeps me busy with his.

Non original upholstery to THIS E30, which was natur vinyl as factor spec'd, however most originalest I could really manage while refreshing everything. My parts car was Anthracite Cloth, which was still available. From the factory you get the diagninal cloth and the solid cloth in matching dye lots. Unfortunately the solid cloth is non existent, so after much toiling I elected to go with black cloth in the same varient. I think it will fit well with the black vinyl and piping on the seats.
                                Interesting choice for the interior fabric. I'll definitely reserve my judgement until it's all finished. I really love the cloth. Are you installing heated seats?

Does Jon share his builds anywhere besides FB? Really hard to follow builds on FB.

Comment

Working...
                                X