No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not ever tried to take apart a hood hinge, I believe the ends are stamped into a flare out position and it may not be possible.

Big day today, the chassis on the rotisserie got loaded up and transported to the new shop that will be finishing the paint and body from this point on out.

Pleased to announce a partnership with Gulf Coast Design and 3rd Gear Customs to see this project through to perfection.

Loading up

Rolled into the booth for an initial inspection, once over to build a project plan

I expect to see regular progress now on the chassis, and tentatively a 2 month turn around for a laser straight shell finished inside and out in Alpine White 3.
    Last edited by Jordan; 05-02-2018, 06:08 AM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Excellent news. How much more have you left that you can do off the shell?

Comment

Thanks.

Glad to see the project moving forward.
        I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
          Excellent news. How much more have you left that you can do off the shell?
          Not a *ton* if I'm to be honest, I've already checked off much of the odd sub assembly items while waiting to this point.

I do need to disassemble, clean and refurbish the IHKS case. Also need to recondition all of the brake and fuel lines, clean and install new plated nuts. Not much else comes to mind.

Engine will be going to machine shop soon and will be largely out of my hands.

I can start ordering interior components, Jordan over at StitchedWheels will be doing the interior for me again, this will be car #3 with him and his impeccable upholstery work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            clean and refurbish the IHKS case.
            This is coming up soon for myself as well. I used your write-up in the otehr build thread as a guide.

Fortunately the car came with two, one in, and one spare. I was told the spare is "working"
            I do things.

Comment

i feel u so much about dealing with the crappy shops.
              hopefully these guys do good work.
              looking forward to AWIII
              Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 05-02-2018, 07:56 PM. Reason: phrasing!
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
              1988 340iL - Track car
              My M60 V8 swap thread here
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I'm headed to Dallas this morning for Worldpac's STX2018 so don't expect any updates this weekend. If anyone else is up there for the expo and wants to grab a drink give me a shout out.

Comment

I didn't think you drank? every time I come over I try to bring a six pack of beer.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    I didn't think you drank? every time I come over I try to bring a six pack of beer.
                    Oh I drink, just not beer!

Stopped by the body shop this evening to supervise the back masking on the undercarriage preparing it for new undercoat throughout.

Should be sprayed this Saturday.

Comment

You going to detexture the front valence? Ever consider detexturing the rear valence, even just the upper section right beneath the bumper? I don't know why nobody seems to do it, I think it looks really clean. If you're worried about stone chips just wrap those sections in paint protection film.
                      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                        You going to detexture the front valence? Ever consider detexturing the rear valence, even just the upper section right beneath the bumper? I don't know why nobody seems to do it, I think it looks really clean. If you're worried about stone chips just wrap those sections in paint protection film.
                        You mean like this?

Yeah it looks clean :D

Comment

I do plan to leave the front valance untextured. I bought a new one and it doesn't come with any rock guard on it. I've always thought the cars looked weird with a heavily textured valance and a glossly iS lip. Rocker panels and rear valance will keep their texture.

Big milestone today in getting the car prepped for the undercoating. Any spots still needing attention were cleaned up. All studs wire wheeled to remove old undercoating. All exposed areas hit with green self etching primer, then everything masked off at was sensitive to surface build.

Mixed up the custom tinted undercoating and sprayed it. 4000ml total was sprayed onto the car for complete coverage.

All done with first coat, flipped to do second coat:

Some closeups:

Overall demasked:

Inside the paint booth to dry

Comment

Looks great.

I'm doing the same with mine. Front valance isn't getting any texture.
                            I do things.

Comment

Looks good. Why didn't you do inside the fender wells? Even if it wasn't like that from the factory, it would have been added noise reduction and rust preventative.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                                Looks good. Why didn't you do inside the fender wells? Even if it wasn't like that from the factory, it would have been added noise reduction and rust preventative.
                                I will later this week, wheel wells need to be black and I want to use a different product for that. They were not masked from the beige step since I will go in and back mask it into the beige doing the black.

Comment

Working...
                                X