Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there has been progress.

cleaned up and repainted the driveshafts -

assembled the rear CV. This took some modification, as suspected. The new rear shield would not clear the subframe, but it was very close. Grinding down the "rim" of the shield and the double-bolt-washer things to be even with the CV housing did the trick.

I then installed it and installed the heatshield over it and forgot to take a photo. durp.

Folks came by the shop and helped me with the transmission and TC. This is what we came up with to get the new TC bushing into it -

Trans and front driveshaft and TC and exhaust and all that business went in -

Thanks to McGyver and chriso for the help!

Coolant, trans juice, TC juice went in, the exhaust went on, and it's a runner!

Unfortunately, there are some electrical gremlins to sort out before I try to smog it. The cluster is all sorts of messed up, and the CEL is inop.
    cars beep boop

Comment

What a great thread. SUB'D. What's the plan on the electrical? Can you really smog a euro spec car like that in Cali? Just curious
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

The only 100% CA-legal way to do it is to get it tested at the only smog lab in the state, which is in LA. They run a few grand and have a pretty long wait list, probably composed of Integrales and 959s.

As for the plan on electrical, there's really no way around it. going to find relevant diagrams, redraw them in order to internalize what's going on, and get tracing.

the car also drains power badly with the battery connected, I suspect the main relay is switching on when it's not supposed to.
        Last edited by kronus; 05-30-2018, 10:35 AM.
        cars beep boop

Comment

pulled it out of the shop yesterday to move some stuff around, gave it a quick rinse and actually got to look at it in daylight!

takeaways - I've got two different diamantschwarzes here. the touring is a shade lighter. almost none of its windows have matching codes.
          cars beep boop

Comment

couple projects for the next few weeks as I get it driveable

- assemble 1 working cluster. the Si batteries in both clusters I have are dead from sitting unplugged. (is there a recommended way to store them so that this doesn't happen?)
            - rewire CEL, trace it out to make sure it's wired like factory
            - isolate and fix battery drain issue
            - reassemble interior (mostly center consoles left at this point)
            - get rear rotors turned, all calipers blasted and rebuilt, reassemble with new pads and SS lines
            - make new clutch hardline, replace clutch hard/soft lines and clutch slave with new parts
            - get a chrome kidney, I really hate the black one. (anyone wanna trade?)
            - pull rear bumper and hitch, patch hitch wiring hole, re-texture and repaint the rear valence while the bumper is off.

significantly shorter list than what I started with :)
            cars beep boop

Comment

Damn. Between you and @Julien I’m dizzy. Put slow pokes like me to shame
              She’s a keeper

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

eh, I haven't done much here yet. The rust repair will be a big project, probably going to have to take it down to a bare shell to get it done. Thinking about getting it acid dipped as well, since the undercoating is such a huge pain in the ass and absolutely all over everything.

In a few weeks I'm also doing a road trip to harvest spares for a stroker build. Haven't thought about internals much, yet, but that will be a longer-term project as well.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                  Damn. Between you and @Julien I’m dizzy. Put slow pokes like me to shame
                  She’s a keeper
                  Maybe one day we'll combine our powers and work together

But usually when I visit I drink beer while he works or vis versa :)
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

1 person working and 1 person drinking beer is twice as fast as 1 person doing 50% work and 50% drinking beer
                    cars beep boop

Comment

+1

Same situation with my IX. Would you acid dip before rust repair or after? I’m thinking after but concerned about rust.

Would love to touch base with you in the stroker topic.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I currently know 0 things about m20 strokers! would love to take that up a notch

thinking to acid-dip before, just to get a really clear idea of where all the rust is. hopefully the shell will stay in one piece, but the rot is *pretty advanced*. however, I also know 0 things about acid dipping, so maybe that's a dumb idea.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

This might be a good place to find iX stroker info...

I'm gonna assume you've seen it anyway, but there ya go.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I have a chrome kidney for ya, I will trade you for a bum transmission lol

texting ya now
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              I have a chrome kidney for ya, I will trade you for a bum transmission lol

texting ya now
                              Give it to him already! That would make it already look 10 times better.
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I'm currently restoring a BMW 2002 Touring
                                (it was sitting like this)

I've done some major rust repair on this one, and still have a long way to go. I also looked into acid dipping but went with regular sandblasting. Once you search into acid dipping there are quite a bit of horror stories out there of acid seeping back through the seams, stripping the paint and undercoating.

You need to understand that EVERY surface that has paint (eg inside of frame rails etc) will also be stripped..

shameless plug to my restoration thread
                                Hello everyone, I'm new here on the forum so let me introduce myself first. I'm a 20 year old guy from Belgium with a big interest in classic cars, I love to work on, restore and of course drive them Time for a new project, something a bit different than a Golf mk1 Together with my brother, I ful...
                                1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                                1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X