The Blunderwagon - 89 325iX touring 3.1L stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    that block looks a little different than an IX block. The dipstick placement seems off... I'm sure that's less important, but will everything match up with the front diff?
    it's a RWD block, but apparently they can be made to work in a 325ix. 325ix blocks, however, cant be made to work in a 325i.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Did Eric already sell the motor in his car? :p JK
      He did sell me this motor, but it’s not the one in his car. That one is nice, I drove it some.

No 318ti here, dailying the touring for some dumb reason.

The block should be convertible to awd. I’ll need to swap the IMS, install the ix oil pump, plug the old dipstick hole, drill a new one in the provided boss, push a sleeve in, and drill some new holes for the oil pan. I think. This hasn’t been documented well so I will need to do some original research and take photos.
      cars beep boop

Comment

IMO rather than do all of that, i would just use the ix block.. you also need to do something about the big hole where the external oil pressure valve is on the RWD block, and there's no pre-cast spot for the dipstick hole on the RWD block either.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yup, aware of the hole issue. What is needed with the pressure switch hole? I was figuring it didn’t need messing with.

I do have yet another ix block that’s empty that I can use for measuring/comparing. I don’t want to disassemble the whole rotating assembly though. Really hoping to not have to do a whole motor build.
          cars beep boop

Comment

...but you bought a whole new motor to build. Isn't the head the best part of that motor anyway?

Comment

you have to fill it with something. On the ix it's just a small hole that goes to the pump, on the RWD car it's a big peice that threads in. You can't just leave the valve there either because now you will have two (one in the pump and one on the block).

I don't know how you would do it because once I saw the differences, I just used the ix block (even though the RWD block I had was way nicer). I have heard of somebody machining a plug with a hole in it.

ix block:

RWD block (best picture I have, sorry about the crank scraper in the way):

You can see with the pump right next to the RWD block why it won't work so easily. There's also nowhere for the extra bolt that holds the pump to the block.
              Last edited by nando; 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've also heard of the plug with holes in it approach. don't see why it wouldn't work, and I have a friend with a lathe who's eager for projects.
                cars beep boop

Comment

you're still missing the bolt hole on that part of the pump. I suspect the other person who did the plug probably left it off.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was thinking interference fit plug, then drill&tap for the hole. it'll be on the edge of the plug and the block casting, but, it might work
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      ...but you bought a whole new motor to build. Isn't the head the best part of that motor anyway?
                      it's got ARP stuff throughout, an S52 rotating assembly, and brand new, custom bore pistons. priced out, the parts in this motor are similar to what I'd spend for factory replacement stuff if I were to rebuild my spare ix M20.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        it's got ARP stuff throughout, an S52 rotating assembly, and brand new, custom bore pistons. priced out, the parts in this motor are similar to what I'd spend for factory replacement stuff if I were to rebuild my spare ix M20.
                        That's some nice stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

While that's true, all you really need to drop it into the ix block is a bore and hone. The ARP hardware is 100% reusable.

You're into this sucker a lot already. 'Converting' a RWD block to an ix block (if it's really even possible, I have my doubts) is a fools errand - IMO.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

While that's true, all you really need to drop it into the ix block is a bore and hone. The ARP hardware is 100% reusable.

You're into this sucker a lot already - converting an RWD block to an ix block is a fool's errand - IMO.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well, it's possible that I am a fool. I'm going to stare at it some.

had a bit of spare time during the holidays, got the driver's door hinge fixed up.

I used one hinge repair kit on the upper hinge, but the other one was fine.

fixed. significantly less wind noise, and the door doesn't move a centimeter up and down when you jostle it anymore.

cars beep boop

Comment

tossed the iX weaves back on and have been driving it.

I also installed rear headrests last night, but didn't manage to get a photo.

I've also just taken delivery of a NOS iX oil pump, so I have basically everything needed to start adapting the stroker motor to AWD.

I'm looking to be rid of the tow hitch setup, but need a replacement bumper without a cutout and some rear bumper shocks. Anyone local want to make a trade?
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X