Meet Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pro moves. it looks great.

p.s. that's an e36 m3 rack, not just a reggie e36 rack ;)
    cars beep boop

Comment

damn son. sweet ride!
      and kronus love to boot.
      sub'd
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I got to ride in Betty and she kept my butt nice and warm while my Belgium driver took me to an E30 gtg. Good times. She’s a looker and sounds good too
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah I've got a 330i rack and plenty of time, wondering if it'd be worth it to rebuild.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Was it a bitch to rebuild the rack? I am trying to decide if I want to R&R my rack or pull the E36-M3 mine has and rebuild it
            Let see whats up with yours. I'm thinking pressure power steering line banjo bolt to the rack has a leak

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            pro moves. it looks great.

p.s. that's an e36 m3 rack, not just a reggie e36 rack ;)

I thought all e36 racks were the same save for the 95 m3? Either way, thank you sir!

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            damn son. sweet ride!
            and kronus love to boot.
            sub'd
            Thanks! And yeah, he's nice like that

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I got to ride in Betty and she kept my butt nice and warm while my Belgium driver took me to an E30 gtg. Good times. She’s a looker and sounds good too
            Least I could do :)

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            Yeah I've got a 330i rack and plenty of time, wondering if it'd be worth it to rebuild.
            Try it out. The main issues that you can run into if the rack internals have been exposed to a harsh environment from running sans boots (pitting/etc) or if mechanically it doesn't turn smoothly anymore (like accident damage). Otherwise it's just a bunch a seals and a fairly straight forward job resealing it. Do mark the tension bolt to get it close on re-assembly though.
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into it this week.

And yeah, all e36 racks have the same ratio but the m3 ones have smaller fluid passages for “better feel.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into it this week.

And yeah, all e36 racks have the same ratio but the m3 ones have smaller fluid passages for “better feel.”

I got so tired of all the misinformation about e36 racks that I took the question to Rich Swenson aka rackdr and the word is....the 95M3 rack is progressive whereas ALL other e36 racks are linear.

I'd say end of subject but I'm sure, internet being what it is, that it's not lol
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  I got so tired of all the misinformation about e36 racks that I took the question to Rich Swenson aka rackdr and the word is....the 95M3 rack is progressive whereas ALL other e36 racks are linear.

I'd say end of subject but I'm sure, internet being what it is, that it's not lol

Yeah lol I forgot to mention that idfk about the mythical 95 rack

1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I took a little break from Betty this Memorial day weekend to work on the cheapest e30 m3 for sale in the country. It was right up the street from where I live (Los Angeles) and didn't start. I am in no financial shape to purchase a rusty/non running e30 m3 that needs paint for close to $30k at the moment, but I'm always willing to lend a hand.
                    I messaged the seller, Vadim, and offered to come help get her started. We chatted back and forth and a got a parts list going. At this point the car hadn't driven in 3-4 years and was not starting (crank no fire). He knocked out an oil change before I got there and got the battery charged.

As I arrived the car would crank/no start but no fuel smell after prolong cranking or signs of spark. I checked the main relay, OBC alarm module, and fuses. After a little fighting I got a some fuel pressure but still a crank no start situation. Digging deeper I wasn't getting any spark off the coil. I chased the crank position sensors, pulled the plugs apart, cleaned them and also to the physical sensors out of the bell housing and cleaned those. After this I got a very weak fire from the engine, it ran for maybe 1 sec.

Vadim got me some injector o-rings, brake parts cleaner and starter fluid. After pulling the injectors, flushing them with brake parts cleaner and sticking new o-rings on them I decided it was also a good idea to swap fuel filter. In the meantime Vadim filled the almost empty (1/4) tank to the brim with California's freshest 91 octane & some octane booster. I would have loved to peek into the tank but the car has a roll bar, so getting back there would have been a pita.

After getting the car to fire on starter fluid through the intake the car started idling for longer and longer periods of time on it's own fuel system. After completely draining one battery, we used another spare battery and at this point the car would idle perfectly fine on it's own. We let the car warm up for 20+ minutes as I wanted all the motor to have fresh oil in every nook and cranny. I even jacked up the rear wheels off the ground and let the car idle in 1st gear for a while with no load on the drivetrain to get all the fluids up to temp. Once the tires were all pumped up it was deemed a burnout was in order :D

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That. Felt. Awesome.

It got a few more quick spins around the "private road" before being put up for the night.

Vadim bought me dinner and some swagger for Betty (i'll post it when it arrives from Germany) as a thank you which was awesome.

No idea what the next steps are for the car, if it'll be sold (I know he has a TON of interest), so please don't ask me.

Happy Memorial Day!
                    Last edited by Julien; 05-28-2018, 04:34 PM.
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post

No idea what the next steps are for the car, if it'll be sold (I know he has a TON of interest), so please don't ask me.

Happy Memorial Day!
                      Yep, don't ask Julien, ask me. Actually, don't, because I also don't know what the next steps are! Thanks again, dude!
                      sigpic

Comment

awesome stuff man
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                          I bought the rebuild kit and followed fredk's rebuild DIY on BFC and went from there. All apart:
                          Any link to the DIY? I searched and saw pages and pages of Off-Topic subjects FredK started and wasted hours trying to determine why 30 gallon trash bags dont fit inside 30 gallon trash cans and things of that nature.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thank you!

BTW: did you ever figure out why 30 gallon trash bags didnt fit in 30 gallon trash cans?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

ROFL it is a mystery that still eludes me to this day.

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X