Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staszek
    replied
    So beautiful! What an outcome to this project. NIce work!

Leave a comment:

• AusScare
    replied
    Good review/info. Keeping this in the bag for when my brakes become insufficient to handle my motor swap. Any compliance/insurance issues with the calipers not having rubber boots, or have you had them engineered?

The fact that custom wheels are basically required is less than ideal. Price to pay for modifying at this level I guess.

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Originally posted by AusScare View Post
    Love this, looking great, still!

Also, thoughts on your brakes setup? Where did you source it and would you recommend it?
    hey thanks, its been nice to get around in it. 5100km now.

the brakes on this one are from Massive Brakes. They are the 300x32mm rotor kit with Wilwood SL6R and SL4R calipers. I am running BP20 compound pads. I put big brakes on all these kind of cars and I like them. there are three main negatives to a race caliper like this;
    1) pad rattle. Because the pads are big and heavy and only loosely retained from movement by some edge contact springs you can hear the pads rattling around a little bit on rough roads in certain circumstances. It's not loud and your passengers probably dont hear it. But once you know, you know.
    2) no street pad compound. BP20 is a bit noisy / squealy and its a horrible compound in far as what it does to your rims. very etchy. my recollection of cold PFC08s was equal to these, so thats probably what i will change to in the year 2056 when these pads wear out (due to how much i drive each year)
    3) your spare tire isnt going to fit. so you need to buy 5x of whatever custom wheel you get made to fit over them.

i do think this setup is a little over-braked on the rear, when they get hot the back gets slightly grabby compared to front.

positives, great pedal feel. great stopping power.

Leave a comment:

• AusScare
    replied
    Love this, looking great, still!

Also, thoughts on your brakes setup? Where did you source it and would you recommend it?

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    2mAn your pics are coming. took last night ... thanks tolocal BMW car club member John Havelock

sample.. apologies it took almost forever...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Can't wait until I also get some pictures

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Hi, checking in with tedious minutiae of post-project car life….

Went to German Auto Day, which was way bigger than I expected and an absolutely cracking day of weather. Getting to know a few people locally so good to go say β€˜hi’.

The local BMW Car Club had a show and shine, and while I think the judges may have been a little optimistic, the orange car scored a clean 240/240 points

Couple of pics by others, gloss levels looking good

Took it to a 24hr mountain bike race and its good to remember the boot in the E30 is big and carries a HEAP of stuff…

4950 km travelled.

Cya 😊

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post

I run these plates and they are silent.
    thanks, I think they are on the list. Will also remove the rear pillowball mounts and go to a poly.
    Would be GREAT if i could find an OEM mount to suit a 14mm shock shaft.

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    To hell with that bolt-together POS, I'd run any other style one.
    Well, reports from a few that have them installed is theyre actually OK.
    But, i do agree, it;s something you'd probably bolt together on the car and then weld up and remove the bolts...

Looking for a strut bar replacement, basically, as most good strut bars dont seem to clear the M42 wiring harness cover. I have a great Mason bar that I can't use for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    To hell with that bolt-together POS, I'd run any other style one.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Originally posted by burkey001 View Post

Heya,
    i do lots of realoem.com scouring.
    The parts you want are 51711945950, 51711945951 and 51711945952
    13 and 14

Thanks for the tip. Looked at Garagistic, cant see them on their site.
    this cross brace looks interesting, however
    THE ULTIMATE X-BRACE FOR THE E30/E36 Currently on Pre-Order! We've redesigned our E30 and E36 cross brace for even more added structural rigidity to make this the best underbody bracing for these chassis. The newest version of our X brace is full billet aluminum and offers significant weight savings over previous desig

πŸ‘πŸ‘
    I bet all the bolts fall out.

What about race SKids?

Leave a comment:

• jsta1109
    replied

Sorry I meant Ground Control - they say "a smooth silent ride" which you could certainly test for them!

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...-camber-plates
    I run these plates and they are silent.

Leave a comment:

• AusScare
    replied

Heya,
    13 and 14

THE ULTIMATE X-BRACE FOR THE E30/E36 Currently on Pre-Order! We've redesigned our E30 and E36 cross brace for even more added structural rigidity to make this the best underbody bracing for these chassis. The newest version of our X brace is full billet aluminum and offers significant weight savings over previous desig

πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Thanks for the info, that's great.

Sorry I meant Ground Control - they say "a smooth silent ride" which you could certainly test for them!

Does not fit E34 with 16mm pin and stock spring diameter, (Seperate item, CPe34Touring). These plates feature over 23mm of total camber adjustment (16mm negative/7.5mm positive), with the ability to make corrective caster changes to equalize side-to-side caster in the stock position.Other features include replaceable w

Leave a comment:

• burkey001
    replied

Would you be able to share the part number for the gasket? Better yet, what's your go-to for finding random parts like this? I've got a ton of small bits on my 318is that I need to 'fill the gaps' so to speak.

Edit: Is It this? Looks like yours might be multi-piece https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...1-11-2-233-051

In terms of top mounts, have you seen that Garagistic do a 'street' mount - looks like it might potentially have more use of rubber than the traditional top mounts. I'm going to get some, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how much noise they make, since my car is rattling all over the place!
    Heya,
    13 and 14

πŸ‘πŸ‘

Leave a comment:

• AusScare
    replied
    Regular gasket

Would you be able to share the part number for the gasket? Better yet, what's your go-to for finding random parts like this? I've got a ton of small bits on my 318is that I need to 'fill the gaps' so to speak.

Edit: Is It this? Looks like yours might be multi-piece https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...1-11-2-233-051

In terms of top mounts, have you seen that Garagistic do a 'street' mount - looks like it might potentially have more use of rubber than the traditional top mounts. I'm going to get some, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how much noise they make, since my car is rattling all over the place!
    Last edited by AusScare; 09-06-2022, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X