Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by econti View Post
    Same

That orange would be eye searing to work with up close. I find with my Ducati after working on it (and particularly polishing it in the sun) due to the red content the colours that my eyes produced had changed.
    It's not bad at all.
    I do things.

Comment

Good jesus man. You're what we all aspire to be. The attention to detail in this makes my head spin. Can't wait to see the outcome.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

That’s pretty nice ��

Comment

dat ist buuutiful!
          http://instagram.com/mundieriss
          my 88' m20b30 HERE!

Comment

Great work Burkey! Good to see the car coming together over here (after the demise of the old EUROCCA / BMWforums, and lost threads there).

Have you settled 100% on the engine?

ie. is there going to be a ground breaking (for an e30) 2019 drivetrain or are you sticking with M42?

Best
            Luke
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

So this post begins with the ideals of making this 30 year old shell a little quieter and a little more refined, like an MY19 model car should be… This entails the mass loading panels, resonance control, sound and heat minimisation…
              I am using three products for this, used in various configurations around the car with the decision criteria of “how much?’ being determined by how much space is available.
              Product 1 – is an aluminium and butyl composite. About 3mm thick in total
              Product 2 is a laminate of open and closed cell foam. 12mm thick
              Product 3 is a mass loaded, closed cell foam. 6mm thick
              Product is from a local supplier, carbuilders.com.au, but it has very strong similarities to Dynamat Extreme and Dynaliner. Besides the logos very hard to tell the difference.

The intent is to cover the entire interior at the very least in 1 layer of Product 1.
              The roof will get some wide strips of the 12mm foam as well, but with gaps to allow the headiner bars to be installed and not bind.
              The doors will get a lot of everything, there’s quite a lot of space in there.
              The boot will get as much as can be fitted under the trim, ditto the floor pan and firewall
              The rear quarters will also be jammed full of it

Now one of the things I wanted to be aware of, particularly when putting down the alloy/butyl base was to not block any drip / drainage paths or holes. I will be treating these channels and areas with more 3M cavity wax as needed.
              First layer going down around the cabin

Starting on the floor pan too
              Make sure clean first…

More boot action

One of the things I’m thinking about here is that there are some parts of the car that I will want to see as being orange when I pull trim away. Example, when I pull the carpet up in the boot, I want to see orange, not sound deadener. So the boot floor will get the sound insulation incorporated into the carpet matt. Another example is the seat back. Not quite sure whether I want to see orange in the boot or when someone pulls up the rear seat…. Insignificant stuff really but it all needs planning. I went to the effort of having the entire car painted, so whilst I want it sound deadened and quiet I don’t want it at the expense of not ‘seeing that hard work’ or something like that…

Interior continues

Now we’re getting to the second 12mm layer in a few areas. Stuff sticks pretty well. Wherever there is space, multiple layers going in…

Stuff is very thick, and it’s difficult to confirm to very cimplex shapes in large sheets. So, sometimes it all looks a little messy until you get the third layer with the thinner 6mm stuff

Looking better now

As we’re at the back, time to deploy the cavity wax into the nooks and crannies.
              This stuff https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collisio...vity-wax-plus/ is great

Making sure the battery vent is installed neatly and protected

inside the blower / wiper area under the cowl. I need to take the masking tape off the threads

Put the build tag back on… perfect

That will do :)
              88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by abit View Post
                dat ist buuutiful!
                thanks, everyone needs projects... idle hands and all... :)

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                Great work Burkey! Good to see the car coming together over here (after the demise of the old EUROCCA / BMWforums, and lost threads there).

Have you settled 100% on the engine?

ie. is there going to be a ground breaking (for an e30) 2019 drivetrain or are you sticking with M42?

Best
                Luke
                Hey, thanks Luke.
                Yes, it's a bummer the old builds have been lost... Regarding the engine I think I'm pretty happy with an M42, because this car doesn't need to be fast and I was pretty fine with how my old 318is drove.
                That said, if I can find a nice, late model, low KM S54 then that is a possibility but it's not a priority. This is just supposed to be a nice weekender, pop Mrs Burkey001 and the doggo in and off we go... :)
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Going to be as quiet as a Renaisance cathedral in there!

Also, interesting build date tag, mine never had one.
                  I do things.

Comment

The older I get, the more I value quiet in a car.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Let’s pay some attention to the doors now…

New plugs in the bottom

I want to cover as much as possible inside the door, yet still allow for easy management of the various things that plug into the door, such as trim, clips, wiring looms etc. one way to accommodate this is to use a gasket punch to make allowance for such holes.
                      In the middle is just some polish residue, cleaned that after the pic. Trust me

As with other bits of the car, have paid attention not to cover drain & drip channels

I saw that some of the original glue securing the door skin to door reinforcement was losing some of its will to live… So addressed that with some Sikaflex. This was about as neat as I could make Sika… bloody stuff is so goddamn messy to use…. Anyway re-attached for another 30 years.
                      You can also see here how I’ve laid the matt in overlaying sheets and leaving drainage gaps, so no water will pool

Masking the gap prior to Sika application

Other side applied…

Have tracked down new rubbers for every part of the door, which is just great.

Test fitting the window channel

New door brake, gasket and hardware applied

First layer of the 12mm dual weight foam inside the door. Ended up doing 2x layers of this

There is a surprising amount of room in the door for deadening material, even with all the window mechanism gubbins.

Keeping manual windows for this car, because I like it simple

Window mechs in, new hardware, sound deadening in place

Time to start on the door harnesses. I am reusing the standard harness, albeit cleaning it up and re-tubing it. Time to push that stuff home

Wouldn’t be a proper job if we weren’t using T&B (Thomas & Betts) cable ties…

Time for me to upload some more photos..

Comment

Whats taking you so long to finish this car... you work slow
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

boot is mounted...
                          Couple of minor tweaks done. The OE gobs of sealant between the skins was cleaned out and a single, continuous bead was applied.. Just makes it look a little neater.

As the hanging panels were painted off the car it leaves the question of hardware... Normally would be body coloured. however, to individually paint bolt heads with 3x white and 5x orange coats + clear... the socket would struggle to get on, plus it would damage the finish instantly...

solution
                          ARP 12pt stainless hardware and stringer washers

now, i know the inside of the boot lid has a bit of orange peel on it.. ahhh c'est la vie

Comment

Onto the fuel filler and overflow bottle. I like this kind of minutiae work… no-one will ever see this, but I know it’s done and it’s new and it’s good for another 30 years..
                            OE clips & hose and all the good stuff

Using the old one for reference

Original had two loops of cloth tape holding this together, as it is again

Lining up the cap and such

This little thing is EXPENSIVE

Cap on and done

It’s funny that when you block sand a car and polish it.. ABSOLUTELY everything that hasn’t been block sanded looks like orange peel from hell…. Take the fuel cap for example… not yet sanded… yet if it was photographed in isolation most would think ‘hmm nice and shiny’
                            Block sanding is a slippery slope because everything needs to be perfect or it stands out..

all buttoned up

Comment

mounting the door latches...

inc the little rubber gaskets to keep it all water tight

ahhhh :)

going orange indicator lamps front and rear. thanks once again to BMW for making OEM stuff 30+ years after E30 started manufacture

even small stuff like this boot trim... i've never seen that wasnt shiny and kinda busted..

Comment

Superb work, keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X