X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. Now to wait for the next update.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I have a question regarding the aluminum covers your dad made in the fender well. So they were tacked in and you used seam sealer to make sure no water would get in. I'm curious what the limitations of seam sealer is. I have a project that I'm doing where I'm patching metal pieces and once in a while I will get a pin hole that is hard to fill. That being said, I have not worried too much about it because I figured that the epoxy primer and seam sealer would be more than enough to keep it together and avoid rust. I'm curious of you can drop some knowledge regarding the seam sealer itself and what it's limitations are? I've see auto manufactures use it to basically hold a panel onto the car with a few spot welds, similar to what your dad did with the aluminum piece. Really I'm just trying to find assurance that I will be fine doing it the way I'm doing it.

Thanks! Love the build!

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        I have a question regarding the aluminum covers your dad made in the fender well. So they were tacked in and you used seam sealer to make sure no water would get in. I'm curious what the limitations of seam sealer is. I have a project that I'm doing where I'm patching metal pieces and once in a while I will get a pin hole that is hard to fill. That being said, I have not worried too much about it because I figured that the epoxy primer and seam sealer would be more than enough to keep it together and avoid rust. I'm curious of you can drop some knowledge regarding the seam sealer itself and what it's limitations are? I've see auto manufactures use it to basically hold a panel onto the car with a few spot welds, similar to what your dad did with the aluminum piece. Really I'm just trying to find assurance that I will be fine doing it the way I'm doing it.

Thanks! Love the build!
        Thank you! You should be able to use seam sealer for what you are describing. I wouldn't worry about any issues with water as many panels are water tight with seam sealer on tons of cars.

Time for an update!
        Dad has been working extremely hard to finish up the wiring and we are beginning to inch closer and closer to that first drive! This part of the project was extremely daunting, but with patience and the well labeled/designed Painless wiring kit, the overall process was…. relatively painless. We wanted the dash panel to be 100% removable and serviceable so the wiring harness attached to all the gauges and switches had to be on a separate loom.

Below was a relatively early mock-up of some of the wiring.

Once the location of the fuse box and relays were roughly determined, the dash harness was slowly put together.

And ended up looking like this!

Looking great! All connections were crimped/soldered and shrink wrapped.
        A couple power and ground distribution blocks were then mounted to the dash support.

Once the dash harness was created the body harness was formed. Dad made a connector to separate the dash harness from the main harness and fuse box for serviceability.

You can see where that harness spits out of the firewall here next to the fusebox.

And then the remainder of the inside body harness.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hGcdQ1]

And here you can see the engine bay harness where it comes through the firewall. A power junction block included in the Painless kit was mounted to the passenger side firewall.

Here you can see all of the starter wiring.

The front lights, ignition, and alternator wiring come out of the inner fender well and into the engine bay on the passenger side.

Looking awesome! This was a ton of work and I really think the wiring came out fantastic and exceeded expectations. Many hours went into this harness and it really shows.
        Last edited by Balleristic31; 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM.

-NICK

Comment

wiring is no joke! There are twice as many wires as an elevator with many floors. it's great work youre doing here.

Comment

Looking good, Ive considered getting a painless wiring harness for mine
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
            Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
            Originally posted by Melon
            Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

Comment

Once the wiring was all set, we could finally do a finished assembly on the dash panel. Before that could take place, the dash and rear seat delete panels need to be coated with the previously chosen wrinkle black finish. Initially we were going to use VHT spray and work the wrinkles in manually with a heat gun, but after a bit of deliberation we determined powder coating would be a much better and more durable option. The end result was very satisfying and looks fantastic!

First the rear panels were mocked up in their final position. Looking good!

Then came the upper dash panel.

And finally, the front face of the dash. Fantastic!

Installed!

And here are a few pictures of the backside of the dash panel all tidied up.

All in all, we are thrilled with how the dash came together. It’s starting to look like a car again!

-NICK

Comment

Dang, just found this thread. Was hoping to suggest vantablack for the dash ala Gesaffelstein.

Also did you shoot some of those opening pics on 135? Color rendering reminds me of it Kodak Gold.

Comment

Every detail of this car is just incredible. I love the interior work and all the textured black. It looks fantastic.

I'm jealous of the father son project as well. My dad has moved away from car projects as I've gotten more passionate about them. A project like this together would be amazing.
                  Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X