Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another update...still haven't ordered the brakes/shocks...the touring needs attention, but I did do this:

Not bad for $6 in paint and some simple green/wet sanding
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
      Update time:

So yesterday I'm getting ready to put the car up on jack stands as its time to start tackling the brakes/suspension and before I get to it...I notice that the tan vinyl on the tonneau/convertible top cover doesn't match my interior....I knew this before...but for some reason it just bothered me today...so it was time to get to work...here is the end result....I still need to properly tackle/buff this area....

Ok...so then finally she's up on jack stands...and I was only able to get one wheel off...didn't want to wake the baby...oh...rusty hubs FTL.

more to come....slowly but surely she'll get there.

I have been following thread since you started since I have an 89 vert as well. I took my cover off last night and how did you get the glue residue off? I used 3M Sticker and Label Remover to get a lot of it off but the heavy residue was not budging.

Also since my car was repainted (rather poorly and looks dry) the color (Bronzit) is pretty far off so that was a bummer but the original color looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 89325ic View Post
        I have been following thread since you started since I have an 89 vert as well. I took my cover off last night and how did you get the glue residue off? I used 3M Sticker and Label Remover to get a lot of it off but the heavy residue was not budging.

Also since my car was repainted (rather poorly and looks dry) the color (Bronzit) is pretty far off so that was a bummer but the original color looks nice.
        I decided to take some wet sand paper to it...after which I hit it with my buffer. I still have some work to do with regards to it, but it looks ok for now.
        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Update Central...so I've clearly been slacking on this car, but I had to move it out of the garage to detail a car, so here are some recent shots.

I actually finally installed my maplight mirror and I went with a unit from a Toyota (YIKES) ;) But hey...it looks good and the lights work!

Here are shots of the complete car:

Also in working my interior panels I'm thinking of going a painted gloss look...in fact I'm so leaning towards it...yea I know its not the norm, but with my tonneau lid in gloss black it would flow nicely...anyways..here's the center console not sanded or cleared...just tested.

You'll also notice the e34 leather ebrake handle in the picture...nice subtle upgrade.

Until the next episode...which could include the suspension and brakes...calipers are shot...BOOOO!
          BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Another update:

The first of the suspension parts are here and I've began the dismantling of the suspension...should have ordered the CAs and tierods last week...seems I'll have to wait.

Anyways...here is the comparison of the stock Cabrio front springs to the stock M3 stock fronts:

Who would have thought there was that much of a difference.
            BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Cool, i need a report once you put those M3 springs in, i have a set for mine, but i've been leaning toward stock lately. Doing just the fronts, or front and back?
              All Your Base Is Belongs To Us

Comment

Wow that really is quite a difference between spring height.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffNJM3 View Post
                  Cool, i need a report once you put those M3 springs in, i have a set for mine, but i've been leaning toward stock lately. Doing just the fronts, or front and back?
                  Jeff,

I'm doing both the front and rears...just only got the pictures of the fronts...I'll get some more tonight
                  BMWCCA #389756

Comment

I just put my M3 springs in last night, along with some Billy Sport inserts. It's a big improvement in feel, and the stance looks much better than the stock Cabby "chin up" look.

The bottlecaps look good with the black centers. Not sure how well it would work with my Mauritiusblau-metallic car, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mclassy View Post
                      Wow that really is quite a difference between spring height.
                      Yes it is,

oukunar,

You can recycle the front lower lip, they do fit late style valence, see pics.

Here's my 2/87 325iC,
                      before oem & 195/?/15 after with m3 & 225/50/15
                      Compare by placing a sheet of paper over lower edge of side trim, look at where it meets the rims.

As far as ride difference, ohhg mang...
                      a bit firmer but not harsh at all,
                      ride height is speed bump safe too :)

I also installed a m3 rear swaybar with urethane bushings (14.5mm)
                      and updated oem front swaybar bushings with urethane ones.
                      Bilstein shocks.

Before,

After,

Rear,

Last edited by fporro; 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                        Yes it is,

oukunar,

You can recycle the front lower lip, they do fit late style valence, see pics.

Here's my 2/87 325iC,
                        before oem & 195/?/15 after with m3 & 225/50/15
                        Compare by placing a sheet of paper over lower edge of side trim, look at where it meets the rims.

As far as ride difference, ohhg mang...
                        a bit firmer but not harsh at all,
                        ride height is speed bump safe too :)

I also installed a m3 rear swaybar with urethane bushings (14.5mm)
                        and updated oem front swaybar bushings with urethane ones.
                        Bilstein shocks.

Thanks for the pics frank....I can't wait until the ride height is fixed...but I still need to do CAs and all the bushings....it never stops...and my touring decided that yesterday was a great day to let the water pump die.
                        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Ever dislike someone you never met? Reason number 1:

Pics ot the rear yet again:

Spent the other part of the evening on the touring

water pump out...

Back to the vert...reminder of the dreaded top:
                          BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Hang tight, shipped control arms today should have tomorrow/wednesday at the latest.
                            sigpic
                            New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                            %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

ola.. i don't like the looks of those touring pics.. dreaded e39 cooling issues?
                              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                              '91 SpecE30 #523
                              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
                                ola.. i don't like the looks of those touring pics.. dreaded e39 cooling issues?
                                Not the usual culprit...this time it was the water pump. It was actually a pretty simple disassembly once you get past the freaking shroud

Both of my BMWs are down....
                                BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Working...
                                X