Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe318is
    Keep it coming! Any nasty cuts this time??

    Honestly, premium sound speakers sound great if not blown. Ive got mine amped twice [alpine unit, factory unit] and two RF 10"ers in the trunk. Sound wonderful since 2003 and still working.
    Negative on the cuts...just alot of cussing and frustration in figuring how to contort my 6'5" frame and hands to properly remove the core/valve...

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe318is
    replied
    Keep it coming! Any nasty cuts this time??

    Honestly, premium sound speakers sound great if not blown. Ive got mine amped twice [alpine unit, factory unit] and two RF 10"ers in the trunk. Sound wonderful since 2003 and still working.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Update:

    As indicated before I had coolant leak into the car, so I spent most of last evening removing the heater core and valve. I must not have noticed some slight surface rust on the driver's side floor pan as well...corner so its good to replace both this valve/core.

    Pictures:







    So on to the FIRST MOD for the Vert....


    YUP...you guessed it...a maplight rearview mirror. I was able to source this from ebay...



    Progress...being super cold right now...I'll just let this puppy sit for a day or so before mounting and wiring up the mirror.

    Well I felt moved to continue working so I figured why not tackle the speakers...as I have a set of Boston Pros from an old install to recycle....what to we have here?



    You Guessed right again...blown speaker....notice the size difference, 6.5 vs the stock 5.25....right now fitment isn't great...well to be honest...doens't work

    Options are as follows....but some metal to fit the speaker or make MDF mounting rings..


    I'm leaning towards cutting metal, as the mounting rings would push out the hood release and possibly cause other issues....Has anyone fitted 6.5s in an e30?

    Well this is how she sits until our next session:



    BTW...if anyone wants the stock speakers...shoot me a PM...else trash here they come!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    whats the latest... Dont tell me youve been spending the holidays with the family... Its prime project time. Post up some updates.
    Well...you know as much as I planned to spend every waking minute on the e30...I was pulled from left to right...and found myself actually modding the e39...but this should be a nice week for getting back into the e30...stay tuned.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    whats the latest... Dont tell me youve been spending the holidays with the family... Its prime project time. Post up some updates.

    Leave a comment:


  • stevofthahill
    replied
    Can't wait to see what you do with it, subscribed as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Here is the update on the carpet after cleaning...it will have to do for now:








    For reference: Old picture:


    On another Note, I thought I needed to replace the back half of the center console, come to find out it was covered in vinyl as well...here is the picture of it apart...I will recover this as well, but I'm on a search to find non-backed vinyl for the interior now:



    stay tuned...

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    Super 77?
    Thought about that...have used that before for subwoofer enclosures...I bet I still have some around...I'll give it a shot on the other panel...


    Originally posted by ///M42 sport
    wow impressive. Did you use a heat gun? 3m? its expensive though
    I did use a heat gun...but I've learned from my mistakes...I need to do a better job on the inside curves on the panel...more to come soon

    Thanks guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • ///M42 sport
    replied
    wow impressive. Did you use a heat gun?
    3m? its expensive though

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Super 77?

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe318is
    You may wont to find a more heavy duty adhesive. That stuff dosent last the test of time. IMO do all black, will look very sleak.
    wise idea "grasshoppa"...now any ideas?

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe318is
    replied
    You may wont to find a more heavy duty adhesive. That stuff dosent last the test of time. IMO do all black, will look very sleak.

    Leave a comment:


  • desertvert
    replied
    I'm surprised at how well that seems to mold to the shape of those rear panels...I've worked with vinyl and spray glue before on a flat panel and not gotten as clean a result!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Update:

    This weekend went to the local fabric store (Joann's) and picked up some vinyl in my first attempt to recover an interior panel...I'll let the pictures do the talking.

    Close up of vinyl:



    Vinyl and weapon of choice:



    Finished product


    Just a test fit...not sure if I'll keep it this way or keep them all black...


    All in all i'm semi-pleased with the results...I will be recovering both panels...for some reason the glue didn't hold some places, but I plan on taking my time again with each panel...again!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by Ladzo
    Nice. I plan on restoring my vert too after I am done with school in 2009. Problem is mine is developing considerable body rust.

    Good Luck!

    p.s. removement - I think you mean removal ;)
    Rust is no good....and...removement sounds better...:p

    Leave a comment:

Working...