Lightweight Track Toy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    I have a feeling this could car could be the one that moves the e30 quickly into 240sx/Silvia territory.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30love
    replied
    simply amazing

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    By popular demand- here's an update

    You can check out my blog-
    http://projecte30.blogspot.com/

    And I also made a new web-photo album...there's a link to it from my blog. It contains all my build photos so far, good and bad!

    Anyway, I've been working on the fuel cell and the rear diffuser...there was a lot more work in making the diffuser than I had originally planned on. I made it out of aluminum honeycomb composite...I was thinking of using carbon but the weight savings would only be a couple pounds for triple the cost. I could use a little weight in the back anyway. The brackets are welded directly to the chassis frame rails.





    Leave a comment:


  • Jordan325iC
    replied
    Everytime I see an update for this car, it just leaves me hungry for another one. I love it.

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by So Live
    I feel like its going to be hard to take the bumper off....

    Looks good dude!
    I temporarily molded in the bumpers so that I could get my lines a little more accurate...I'll be making a relief cut to get the bumpers off soon --- I have to take them off to finish fab'ing my splitter and diffuser mounts).

    I don't want anyone mistaking this for a show car with molded bumpers ;)
    Last edited by belosic; 05-06-2008, 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

    Leave a comment:


  • Firestorm
    replied
    Originally posted by belosic
    I was always frustrated when I would read about a cool idea, and the guy never came through with it. All I can say is that it will be mounted as low and as far back as possible.
    I wonder what it could be.. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • So Live
    replied
    I feel like its going to be hard to take the bumper off....


    Looks good dude!

    Leave a comment:


  • badvibrations
    replied
    This project never ceases to amaze me. You make me wish I could do a project today. I anxiously await all the progress that you post.

    Originally posted by belosic
    FYI- don't make carbon panels in your driveway while wearing a respirator and a tyvek suit...your neighbors might call the EPA
    I gotta know ...DID they call the EPA? And if so, how did that go?

    Leave a comment:


  • 02stu
    replied
    Look, you are not allowed to just start making carbon fiber body panels alright. Stop that right now

    Leave a comment:


  • Rennsport
    replied
    you are fucking nuts








    keep it up!

    Leave a comment:


  • PiercedE30
    replied
    Holy hell!
    Very nice.

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    The rear diffuser is coming along slowly...I'm still waiting for my new fuel cell to get here. The fuel cell will determine the placement of the vertical supports for the diffuser, so I have to wait.

    In the meantime I've made some progress on the body work, I slathered all the fabric in epoxy micro so that I can smooth and sand before paint.

    blog- http://www.projecte30.blogspot.com




    I also made my carbon/kevlar door skins. They came out pretty nice, I just have to figure out a way to attach them to the car. I don't know how much they weight because my scale is only accurate to 6oz. I think they weigh about 6-8oz each...less than a pound for sure. FYI- don't make carbon panels in your driveway while wearing a respirator and a tyvek suit...your neighbors might call the EPA





    Also- I created some "running boards" that help tie in the flares with the rest of the car. They also attach to the (future) undertray and will give me and extra 12" of undertray diffuser. I made the running boards out if aluminum honeycomb composite with Lexan vertical panels (barge boards). I made the barge boards out if lexan so that if I hit something in the middle they should flex and not break...we'll see. I still have about 4" of clearance (now I have to buy a low-profile jack).





    A build diary tracking the process of turning a 1987 BMW 325is into a serious trackday car.
    Last edited by belosic; 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM. Reason: added link

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by e30love
    what are you goin to do for a motor
    I have a powerplant in mind, but until I get closer to actually droping it in I don't want to reveal any details. I was always frustrated when I would read about a cool idea, and the guy never came through with it. All I can say is that it will be mounted as low and as far back as possible.

    Suspension is probably the next item in line...I'm undecided if I should buy a coilover setup or fabricate my own system. I have a few ideas for the design of my own system, but the ease of just bolting on a prefab setup is always nice.
    Last edited by belosic; 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM. Reason: html removal

    Leave a comment:


  • badvibrations
    replied
    Originally posted by e30love
    what are you goin to do for a motor
    +1

    BTW dont ever take down that project blog and site you got goin cause I am gonna need it in like...Idunno...10 years.
    Looks great d00d!

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    so the moral of this story is:
    You need rediculous fab skills and time to make SportMaxx rims properly fit an e30.


    I kid i kid,
    Great project
    Julien
    Ha! I appologize for the SportMaxx wheels...they'll have to do until I get my Kodiaks. I thought I read on a forum somewhere that guys were fitting the 0 offset wheels with some fender rolling...not with 245 tires I guess! :D For now I'm pretty sure 245s will be sufficient, although 275s are an option. I think I have the room if I get the offset correct, might be a challenge up front though.

    Leave a comment:

Working...