Lightweight Track Toy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Julien
    replied
    so the moral of this story is:
    You need rediculous fab skills and time to make SportMaxx rims properly fit an e30.


    I kid i kid,
    Great project
    Julien

    Leave a comment:


  • Bill-B
    replied
    god damn

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Hi all-
    I made a little more progress over the weekend, I began farication of the splitter and I'm really close to finishing the flares. I need to work on the undertray and diffuser then I should be ready to think about paint (as soon as we have some nicer weather).



    www.projecte30.com

    Leave a comment:


  • speedblind
    replied
    Very cool build and very cool thread. The fender work looks awesome.

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Hey there everyone- I made some progress over the weekend, the fender/body work is coming along nicely.

    www.projecte30.com

    Everything is rough-fitted and still needs trimming and proper fitting. After completion of the bodywork, I'll be looking at suspension options. If anyone has a suggestion for a "hardcore" race setup, please let me know. If I can't find a manufacture I like, I may end up fab'ing up my own setup.

    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by project86
    Looks cool. How much for a roof and doors? Are you going to race this in a specific series or just use it for DE stuff


    The e30 will be mostly a DE/Trackday car...this is my race car- :)



    I'm building the e30 so that it's a fun street-legal car that I can drive to the track instead of trailer. The formula car is fun too, but it's a pain to trailer everywhere, and I need a crew of 3 to run a full track day.

    Wheel to wheel racing is fun, but sometimes I prefer just driving and having fun. If you need some competition, just use a transponder and look at posted lap times. Time trials are like a big qualifying session, they can be pretty fun. The e30 will be elligible for a few "Super modified" classes when I'm done with it, but I'm not sure how competitve it will be. Hill climbs are another option, and those are usually based solely on engine displacement so the car might be able to do well in it's class.

    Initally I was going to build it for spec e30, but that seemed pretty boring...I like working on the car as much as driving it, so I decided to build it to the extent of my capabilities.

    Leave a comment:


  • project86
    replied
    Looks cool. How much for a roof and doors? Are you going to race this in a specific series or just use it for DE stuff

    Leave a comment:


  • e30love
    replied
    what are you goin to do for a motor

    Leave a comment:


  • einstein57
    replied
    Sweet. Just make sure to make me a set

    Leave a comment:


  • SamuraiSam
    replied
    Very cool! You look like someone who's been doing this kind of thing for awhile... For curiosity's sake, do you have any other blogs or writeups on past projects?

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by einstein57
    looks like the fender was short. Are you planning on molding it to the fasctor fender?
    I'm going to keep a small amount of the factory fender to use as attachment points for the kevlar. The bumper will have a matching piece to continue the lines for the fender, I should be able to make some progress on it tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • einstein57
    replied
    looks like the fender was short. Are you planning on molding it to the fasctor fender?

    Leave a comment:


  • alpinaclone
    replied
    Looks like nice work. I read through your blog and was impressed. I didn't see a write up for the hood and trunk that you made. Did you use the same method for those as you did for the roof? Do you have any pictures of the underside of them? Keep up the good work.

    Thanks,

    Leave a comment:


  • DEV0 E30
    replied
    Great work! Craftsmanship on your composite parts looks great from the pictures.


    8)

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by iflytii
    Great project! I really like how you mounted the rear spoiler! I limited myself by mounting mine on the trunk and now wish I could get it further back... Also really anxious to see how the fender flares turn out!
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone-

    I really wanted the wing to be as functional as possible, and one of the design considerations was transmitting any downforce to a structural member. I'll do some aero testing later on to determine functionality and correct angle of attack.

    The fenders are coming along nicely, I removed them from the fleece molds and they look pretty good. Next I have to alter the bumper so that it matches with the new flare width. I'll be sure to update with photos as soon as I can.

    FYI- the weight of the new fender is approximately 2.25 lbs :D

    Leave a comment:

Working...