Lightweight Track Toy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Updates?

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30
    Any tips or tricks to get started with that? I have always wanted to dabble with composits but didnt know where to start really and i usually lacked time to research.
    Check out my blog archives...I tried to explain as much of the process as I could. Good resources for composites - www.aircraftspruce.com They even have a practice kit that is pretty good if you are just starting. Look on Amazon for books...there are a few on composites, but they usually portray pretty advanced techniques (autoclaving, vacuum infusion...) which are hard to do in a home workshop environment. Those techniques are unneseccary unless you are making highly-stressed structural components.

    Blog- http://www.projecte30.blogspot.com

    Leave a comment:


  • BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by belosic

    In the meantime, making your own isn't too hard! It's a pretty fun project if you have the patience and no regard for your garage floor :)
    Any tips or tricks to get started with that? I have always wanted to dabble with composits but didnt know where to start really and i usually lacked time to research.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Good luck, I think the community would benifit from your hard work.

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by rob_e30
    Any chance you could make up another set of any of these body panels? I'm especially interested in doors, roof, hood, and deck.
    There have been quite a few requests for duplicate fenders, doors and even the roof cap. I have been crunching the numbers to see how many I would need to make to recoup my expenses, but I don't have a figure yet. If there is enough interest I would definitely pursue it, along with producing a few other parts for BMWs. I’ve been wanting to add a motorsports arm to my company and the e30 community might be a good catalyst to get things going. I just acquired a new production facility that has enough room to do some composite work.

    It’s all just ideas and talk for now, but it sure would be a fun “side business”

    In the meantime, making your own isn't too hard! It's a pretty fun project if you have the patience and no regard for your garage floor :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    One of my fave e30 projects. Makes me want to "ignore" SCCA SM rules and go all out like you are doing, but I have to stay focused :)

    Can't wait to see your next updates man!

    Leave a comment:


  • Miasma
    replied
    Amazing project man, Cant wait to see what power plant you are going with.

    Leave a comment:


  • rob_e30
    replied
    Any chance you could make up another set of any of these body panels? I'm especially interested in doors, roof, hood, and deck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    moar?

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Small update- the car is now wearing some primer...paint is coming this week.




    Project e30 Blog
    Last edited by belosic; 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM. Reason: Fixed photo

    Leave a comment:


  • BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by belosic
    With the roll cage, there is zero flex attributed to removing the roof...it's really just a big piece of sheet metal, no structural value whatsoever. I don’t think it would flex even without a cage…all the rigidity is carried around the perimeter of the roof like a halo.

    The angle of the diffuser is adjustable from 0 to 15 degrees. With this particular design it’s desirable to have an aggressive angle of attack since the air under the car is so turbulent (for now). The upper surface of the horizontal diffuser “wing” isn’t very functional…it’s the lower surface that matters. The idea is to maximize the distance between the lower surface and the ground in order to induce a slight low pressure area (by increasing velocity). I’ll be doing many test days at the track to get the setup correct…I am looking into placing load cells into the suspension pickups to help determine available downforce.
    Good stuff... I look forward to hearing the results of te testing..

    Leave a comment:


  • belosic
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30
    Im loving this build!... i check your blog daily for updates.

    Just a few questions...
    1. Do you notice any loss in chasis strength and increase in flex with the carbon roof?
    2. What is the angle on that defuser? looks pretty high. Anything over 10deg is usually considered too high for a closed wheel car. Not hatin just curios on the design.

    all and all looks awesome... I am sure I will have more questions later
    With the roll cage, there is zero flex attributed to removing the roof...it's really just a big piece of sheet metal, no structural value whatsoever. I don’t think it would flex even without a cage…all the rigidity is carried around the perimeter of the roof like a halo.

    The angle of the diffuser is adjustable from 0 to 15 degrees. With this particular design it’s desirable to have an aggressive angle of attack since the air under the car is so turbulent (for now). The upper surface of the horizontal diffuser “wing” isn’t very functional…it’s the lower surface that matters. The idea is to maximize the distance between the lower surface and the ground in order to induce a slight low pressure area (by increasing velocity). I’ll be doing many test days at the track to get the setup correct…I am looking into placing load cells into the suspension pickups to help determine available downforce.

    Leave a comment:


  • ethirtydavid
    replied
    that blog is the craziest thing I've ever seen. This is great.

    Leave a comment:


  • BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Im loving this build!... i check your blog daily for updates.

    Just a few questions...
    1. Do you notice any loss in chasis strength and increase in flex with the carbon roof?
    2. What is the angle on that defuser? looks pretty high. Anything over 10deg is usually considered too high for a closed wheel car. Not hatin just curios on the design.

    all and all looks awesome... I am sure I will have more questions later

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    Holy crap how did I miss this one... Loving the build and all the little projects melded into one!

    Leave a comment:

Working...