Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just put new foam over the old residue? It will cover it entirely and you'll never see it. Besides, you're going to have to glue the new shit on anyways, it won't matter if it's squeaky clean with a mirror finish or a but scungy.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      Why not just put new foam over the old residue? It will cover it entirely and you'll never see it. Besides, you're going to have to glue the new shit on anyways, it won't matter if it's squeaky clean with a mirror finish or a but scungy.
      I thought about that, but will it apply ok without a flat surface? Doesn't the OEM foam come with peel off sticky underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
        I thought about that, but will it apply ok without a flat surface? Doesn't the OEM foam come with peel off sticky underneath?
        As long at you dont leaves big clumps of foam on there, it will be fine. You won't be able to see 1/16" thick glue residue underneath 1.5" thick foam. Also, adhesives work best when they have something to 'grab on to', i.e. a rough surface. Ever tried applying tape or glue to something perfectly smooth? It doesn't stick well; a rougher surface will help it adhere.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          As long at you dont leaves big clumps of foam on there, it will be fine. You won't be able to see 1/16" thick glue residue underneath 1.5" thick foam. Also, adhesives work best when they have something to 'grab on to', i.e. a rough surface. Ever tried applying tape or glue to something perfectly smooth? It doesn't stick well; a rougher surface will help it adhere.
          hmmm... Ok I may try this

Comment

Andrew,
            This is textured aluminum sheet (cut & bent to foam shape)over OEM foam insulation. Yes it does have "peel & stick" on the foam, but it needs additional adhesive & goes over the old glue just great, so don't wast your time trying to remove it. Result is quite & deflects heat. You'll spend @ $150 in materials & a lot of time shaping & bending. If you like the look, pm me for a list of locations for materials.
            Attached Files
            [I

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
              Andrew,
              This is textured aluminum sheet (cut & bent to foam shape)over OEM foam insulation. Yes it does have "peel & stick" on the foam, but it needs additional adhesive & goes over the old glue just great, so don't wast your time trying to remove it. Result is quite & deflects heat. You'll spend @ $150 in materials & a lot of time shaping & bending. If you like the look, pm me for a list of locations for materials.

Good to know! But I prefer the look of the foam itself. I'll stop right now with trying to get the residue off anymore (I trust you know what you're talking about :) ). What do you recommend for using to help adhere the foam to the hood?

Comment

Andrew,
                This stuff looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
                  Good to know! But I prefer the look of the foam itself. I'll stop right now with trying to get the residue off anymore (I trust you know what you're talking about :) ). What do you recommend for using to help adhere the foam to the hood?
                  Fusor #116 available at Senik Paint, on Placentia in Costa Mesa.
                  [I

Comment

Fusor #116 available at Senik Paint, on Placentia in Costa Mesa.
                    ah perfect, was making a trip there tomorrow anyways. Thanks Jack!

Comment

Still looking for an OEM radio?
                      -Erik
                      '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                      I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineE30M52 View Post
                        Still looking for an OEM radio?
                        Nope ;)

You'll see when it gets here in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B
                          oh that one radio ;)
                          shhh.... you'll see pictures of it when it's cleaned up. ;)

Comment

I've bought a donor car. e25 535i M30b34. (Yea, it's not a b35, but at $700, you can't beat the price and it runs great!) It was in an engine fire at some point, but many many parts were replaced by new ones at the time including the engine harness. The head was off at some point and the rockers look to be new. It comes with a 3.25 LSD, a second Getrag 265 tranny, and an e28 535i radiator. Tomorrow I'll take it to get smogged and get some spark plugs. Major disassembly is coming soon.

Comment

Why are you taking to smog again?
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                                Why are you taking to smog again?
                                It's better to get it out of the way and get it smogged before I have it dissembled. Why would I want to wait until the last minute to smog? I'd rather get it out of the way now, so all I have to worry about it getting it out and in. I don't want to have this be put off until the end. It runs well and clean enough to pass it now.

why do you ask? The motor hasn't been smogged in the first place, it's registered as Non-op and still has a 2008 reg sticker on the bag. It needs smog.

Comment

Working...
                                X