Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt, turns out you are right. Genuine Alpinas weren't factory installed, at certain dealers, they were dealer installed, but either way, the Genuine Alpinas 16"s are in the direction I'm going with this car.

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
      ... as far as the emergency fuel can, i am very aware of it. the reason i dont have it yet is it only fits in the spare tire well with a wheel that is 15'' or larger. i have 14'' basketweaves so it wont fit.
      The 6 liter can will.

Comment

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
        I'll be selling my OEM chrome fuel locking cap if you find that its NLA!
        Someone probably polished it, removing the roundel on it in the process. My 04/85 325e has the original metal cap - not shiny like that!

Comment

Are you going to get the piece/part that extends the tow hook through the spoiler?

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
            Are you going to get the piece/part that extends the tow hook through the spoiler?
            ah ha! Keen eye. I had already bought one way before I bought the mtech spoiler. the guy was from the UK (the extender is NLA) and he finally shipped it out about a week ago. should come soon. will be repainted and installed to finish the installation (except for fog lights and eventually mtech trim)

Comment

Well, it's been a long time coming, but i'm sure you guys have read from the other thread I posted a couple days ago I'm doing an M30 swap. My M10 blew a head gasket and the head is cracked. Now is the time to do the swap. I'm still reviewing donor car candidates so no updates on the swap just yet. Right now, I'm doing prep-work for a clean engine bay.

I'm starting with something that's long overdue. The sound insulation underneath the hood is ratty and gross. Every time I clean the engine bay, the next day it's just as dirty due to the foam falling off and landing everywhere.

Started with this:

Used a blow dryer (hot air) and a plastic paint scraper while it has direct sunlight shining on the foam (heats it up and it melts off slightly easier). I got all the chunky stuff and now only the residue is left behind.

To get the residue off I need to take the hood off, have 3M adhesive cleaner soaked into it and let it bake in the sun and overnight. In the morning, it will come right off. So when taking the hood off, I realized I had to deal with the craziness of the intensive wash tubing. So I dissembled that.

Then I totally forgot the laws of siphoning so intensive fluid and cleaning fluid started leaking all over my feet (retard moment). I made a makeshift holder (just tied it to the wall hah). It was strange seeing my car with no hood. Believe it or not this is the first time my hood has been off. Actually, you guys can probably believe it looking at my M10 :)

The 3M adhesive cleaner is soaking into it in the sun right now, tomorrow morning i'll take the rest of it off and go down to BMW to order the new insulation. I just wanted to have it prepped so that when the new insulation gets here, all I have to do is stick it on.

Comment

Andrew, why not do the one-piece insulation that screws on with plastic rivets?

Comment

I was thinking that as well, but I think he wants to go with range specific options. I bet he will not be doing the BMP stuff either.

Comment

So.

The air intake for the M30 will conflict with your beloved washer tank.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Is it too late to vote for an Alpina C2 2.7L motor?

2.7i would be easier to fit and would keep the weight off the E30's nose...
                      Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel View Post
                        Andrew, why not do the one-piece insulation that screws on with plastic rivets?
                        There isn't one for the early 318 cars like for the m20 cars, the molded "form" is different.

Andrew, if you end up putting m30 in, you might want to hold off on putting anything on that hood period.
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          There isn't one for the early 318 cars like for the m20 cars, the molded "form" is different.

Andrew, if you end up putting m30 in, you might want to hold off on putting anything on that hood period.
                          You are correct about the moulded one not being available for the 318. I know that the clearance with the M30 AFM and the hood insulation isn't good, but I'm having a 333i Alpina Intake manifold fabricated so that the AFM is on the drivers side, and lower so no conflictions. Check out some pictures of the 333i intake/AFM location

So.

The air intake for the M30 will conflict with your beloved washer tank.
                          Because the 333i AFM is on the drivers side, I don't have to worry about the trouble of moving the washer tank to the battery tray under the hood, and doing a rear battery conversion, which would also suck because the space for the trunk-mounted battery isn't wide enough for a battery on my early 318 (which is why I have a trunk tub exclusive to the early 318i )
                          Last edited by Japandrew73; 08-25-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Cool. Another point where it might rub is the top of TPS connector...I don't know if it's different with Alpina stuff...

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                              Cool. Another point where it might rub is the top of TPS connector...I don't know if it's different with Alpina stuff...
                              Yea I'll just have to find out. It's ok if it's slightly touching, I kind of don't think there willl be many issues.

Jean you'd be the guy to know this, do you know of any thread where somebody has done the m30 swap using position 3 (where they cut out a bit of the firewall in order to have the motor as far back as possible, thus making room for a mechanical fan).

Comment

I don't off top of my head, sorry. I believe there was a thread with pics of some limited production m30 cars made in the 80-90s but not too many details... Those position numbers are all made up anyway, so you are OK with cutting the firewall after you've done all this work on your car? I am a little surprised actually lol I thought you'd want something that looks 100% factory.

You should really do a 2.0L m10 + turbo like the 2002s :)

Comment

Working...
                                X