Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So today my Euro Cluster and My new valve for the Headlamp washers came in.

When I looked at the new cluster it had a scratch on the front plastic so i switched plastics from my old one to my euro one.

I painted my previous cluster's needles dark red and used chrome rings, i didn't like it. So i used a red sharpie and this was much easier than painting them. and it was bright red not dark red so it had the M look. to it. I took a Q-tip to it and dusted it off a bit also.

There is a couple of slight differences in the back of the two clusters, the main difference being that the green box thing is missing on the euro cluster. I have 1 wire that plugs into the green box on my US cluster. I have no idea what it is or what it does. I left it out when i connected my euro cluster. and there are slight other differences i'll let you spot for yourself.

The service board in my old cluster had the leaky Ni-Cad batteries and it had leaked all over the SI board and was totally inoperable. I pulled the euro cluster's SI board out and was pleasantly surprised! Brand spanking new board with Lithium batteries!

When I cleaned up the cluster and the plastic screen i reached into my new "Detailing Drawer" (i just wanted to show it off :D)

I still need to rollback the Odometer on my Euro cluster to match the miles on my previous cluster. I didn't do it today because I was in a race against daylight. I don't know exactly how to roll it back without breaking anything so hopefully some searching will help.
    Here are my two clusters...

So I go back to my car with everything pulled out...

put the cluster in and turn on all the lights i can and am VERY happy to see it functioning correctly. INCLUDING THE SERVICE BOARD! It is so crazy to have a working service board for an early model. I don't know exactly how the SI board is supposed to light up but some searching will help. But everything lit up correctly (no more slapping the dash to get the backlights on)

If you will notice with my cluster, it displays in miles per hour, however for the econometer, it is kilometers per gallon. This was kind of odd to me.

I examined the gas gauge needle to see it has been crimped or squished (it is hard to see from my pic because it is a bit blurry but you can see it barely)
    This means that the previous owner has taken the cluster apart. Which means that this cluster could have been a euro cluster that originally displays in MPH for the few states over there using MPH, and the guy may have just put a KPG gauge face on the econometer. The reason I believe this is for two reasons.

My original cluster showed the tach speed wrong. It redlined at about 3000 RPM (i know the sound of my engine), and the econometer would not work correctly. this is why i bought the euro cluster. my cluster would never mal-function until i started taking it out and i pulled the needles off to paint them. This is most likely what the previous owner has done to it. This cluster does the same as my old cluster. the tach misreads and so does the econometer. This leads me to believe it is faulty wiring. I have heard when this happens it is a loose ground or something.
    Anyways, a weird thing I had with the econometer was that the needle would display how it does with the US cluster in. When I would release off of the petal It would display me getting 0KPG, but when i floored it, it would display 40+KPG. Very weird.

So the cluster project is in progress, but not finished.

The new valve was a short and easy project. I just took out the old valve and put the new one in.

The valve on the drivers side barely leaks, so i will order another new valve in the next few days. The passenger side now successfully sprays through the nozzle onto the headlamp. The driver's side nozzles are aimed correctly (supposed to hit in the center of the headlamp) and the passenger's side still needs to be aimed.
    Here are the videos:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My headlight's aren't on because my connections were shitty and i wasn't going to re-do them in the dark so I will do it tomorrow. all that happened were the connectors fell out. But the headlamps were on to activate them. If you look hard, you will see the headlamp motors spinning perfectly as they should. also, you can see that the headlamp chrome rings with the stoppers aren't on the headlamps because i have them disassembled and am cleaning the and am going to have them chrome dipped locally because they are peeling paint all over the place. My new wiper arms ship out tomorrow and should be here in 2-3 days. Once the new wiper arms are one the HCS project is complete! (Unless you count intensive wash feature as part of the HCS) I will eventually wire in intensive wash, but the Euro Bumpers is a bigger priority. The side chrome will be shipped out tomorrow also.

So If anybody has any ideas on solving the cluster problems, please tell me!

Comment

those sunshades are overrated. $50 and they only last a year until the paper around folds starts to degrade. Its nice to "have" but not very economical. Otherwise I'm jeolous of your restore.
      Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Euro cars didn't have MPH!!! ;) Use the km/h gauge face and learn to convert! Other then that it looks great! Does your mpg gauge go backwards now?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
          Euro cars didn't have MPH!!! ;) Use the km/h gauge face and learn to convert! Other then that it looks great! Does your mpg gauge go backwards now?
          If the euro cars don't have MPH then what do you think is happening. is it recording total miles or total kilometers? and yes my KPG is going backwards. i'm getting a bit confused here. did the original owner try to do a US convert? did he take the cluster and put a US speedo gauge face on it? or is this a US cluster with euro faces and stuff?

Comment

It is rolling in kilometers. That's why you should run the km/h face as well so it's less confusing. Plus it looks more euro. As for the mpg gauge, it is a common problem with euro clusters on US cars. I cannot verify this, but I believe you need to use a euro ECU in order to make the needle sweep the correct way. I have been told there is a certain euro ecu you can run that will work on US cars and will make the needle sweep the correct way. Unfortunately I cannot confirm any of this at this time.
            Last edited by SpecRaceM5; 01-22-2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
              It is rolling in kilometers. That's why you should run the km/h face as well so it's less confusing. Plus it looks more euro. As for the mpg gauge, it is a common problem with euro clusters on US cars. I cannot verify this, but I believe you need to use a euro OBC in order to make the needle sweep the correct way. I have been told there is a certain euro ecu you can run that will work on US cars and will make the needle sweep the correct way. Unfortunately I cannot confirm any of this at this time.

ohhh ok i guess it could be rolling in kilometers becasue i never really took it over 5mph i just took it slowly around the block. I'll switch the face tomorrow.

I like the look of my analog clock so to get my KPG working correctly, would i have to connect an OBC? (like a 6-button OBC thats what you are talking about right?)

if you find any more info on the KPG reading backwards please tell me!

Comment

I'm sorry, I meant ECU, not OBC. I just got my euro OBC so I have that on the brain. :-P

Comment

That green "box" on the back of the cluster is either for the OBC or cruise control. I can't remember but i'm pretty sure its for the OBC so it can calculate your average MPG, Miles to empty, etc.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                    That green "box" on the back of the cluster is either for the OBC or cruise control. I can't remember but i'm pretty sure its for the OBC so it can calculate your average MPG, Miles to empty, etc.
                    it could have been for the digital 2 button clock i had before i switched to my analog clock. either way i don't need it.

Comment

I'll have to get a cluster and start playing when I get a car, but I also think that depending on the wiring for the mpg gauge, you may be able to swap a couple wires and have it run backwards. Might not be the most accurate, but I wouldn't take it for being accurate in the first place. I just want it to move the correct way.

Comment

Ok so i took apart my old cluster and found the safe way to Roll your odometer back (or foward in my case)

So to get the speedometer by itself you take your cluster out and do all the procedures to get it separated from the trim. Then there are 4 screws on the back of the speedo. Undo those, if you have the green thing on the back like I do, just unlatch the clips and it pulls out, then you can take out the speedometer.

If you turn it on its side you will see a plastic circle cover with two flat screws. In the picture the screws are not shown because I took them off.

Unscrew the two screws and take the plastic cover off.

The little black wheel that the plastic cover was on top of is what you need to turn to roll your odometer foward or back. Looking at it from the view in the picture, turn it clockwise to roll it foward and counter-clockwise to roll it back.

Fun with the Odometer:D

Tomorrow I will take my cluster out and put the KPH face and roll it foward to match. It is raining outside so i don't want to get everything wet.

my car had 134,425 miles on it and the conversion goes to 216,336 kilometers.

Comment

When you sharpied the needles..did you jsut take out the tach and color them while they were still attached to the odo and such? And what did you use to seal the front plastic cover for the tach.
                          M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Devier View Post
                            When you sharpied the needles..did you jsut take out the tach and color them while they were still attached to the odo and such? And what did you use to seal the front plastic cover for the tach.
                            Yes, but getting the econometer was tricky and I am going to take the tach off so I can color the whole thing. And i just used model glue to seal the plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
                              Yes, but getting the econometer was tricky and I am going to take the tach off so I can color the whole thing. And i just used model glue to seal the plastic.
                              Ahh I see. Well, I might just try to tackle this little project tomorrow. I love the one with the silver rings.
                              M Coupe

Comment

good work, my tach and temp gauge stopped lighting up

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X