No announcement yet.

1983 Henna Red 323i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more updates. The fuel guage hasn't worked since I got the car. I also decided I wanted kph dials on the car, so decided to buy some german dials and swap over the fuel guage while I was at it.

Old and new -

KPH dials out...

Quick bit of mileage correction!!

Unfortunately it seems the fuel guage wasn't the issue. So I ordered a brand new fuel level sender from my dealer. Relatively easy to install - rear bench comes out.

Panel comes off to reveal the old sender unit.

The layout of the pipes is different on the new unit - so I still need to order new hoses. The smaller hose fits, but its kinked.

So back to the never ending bodywork issues! There were plenty of spots of bubbling paint on the drivers side sill. Took a wire brush and drill to it, and then treated the rust.

Then I sanded this down to bare metal

I removed the side trims panels and sanded dfown the rear quarter arch section. I'll spray up to this trim panel and see how it comes out.

Have a brand new nearside wing, so that got some paint - after one coat and some wetsanding -

Getting the old wing off was troublesome to say the least. Most of the bolts and rusted, rounded, seized etc! One bolt refused to budge, so with the rest removed I had to pull down the wing and convince it to come off with a hammer. Check out the amount of mud caught in behind the wing!

Took a steel brush to behind the wing and cleaned off any surface rust.

Thankfully there was no rot behind the wing at all. To keep it that way I put down two coats of underbody sealant with Waxoyl in it.

Need to get a new bottom valance now as well - its destroyed as you can see below. New offside wing required too. They'll be on the way next month hopefully - I'm not stuck for things to keep me busy with this car at the moment thankfully.

Last edited by kdevitt; 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM.
    1990 Diamond Black E30 320i Touring
    1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Originally posted by DREWHALL View Post
      Looks great. Where'd you get the spoiler?
      Actually bought it from the guy who I bought the car from - he was breaking a 325i with the full tec 1 kit, so I took the full kit and spoiler!
      1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

fun times

Comment

I can't believe I missed this. The perfect color, completely original, and it seems that you have made a lot of ground in restoring the exterior.

Keep us updated, I like the direction you are taking the car.
          - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
          E36 325i sedan
          E30 325i sedan
          Volvo 945T

Comment

Very nice. That's quite a project you've got going there. I kinda wish you were going to go full Mtech I as there are so few around.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

how do i keep missing these threads. very awesome project! keep up posted.

Comment

subscribed i am thinking of painting mine myself too except it will be zinno

Comment

this thing is going to look freakin sweet when you're done!
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

WONDERFUL thread. I love this kind of DIY dedication to a car, and the DIY bodywork is a great thing to see as well. I've done a lot of similar jobs to my car.

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Awesome project, i'm subscribed
                      PNW E30 Crew : 1991 E30 S50, 2000 E39 M5

sigpic

Follow my S50 build
                      : MY S50 E30

Follow me on instagram : @damendesign

E30 T-Shirts | M3 T-Shirts /Prints

Comment

saw this on e30zone.net nice build
                        Continuous For Sale Thread
                        323i s50

Comment

Cheers for the comments guys. The colour was the first thing which attracted me to the car to be honest. My dad had one identical to it years back.

I guess one of the biggest problems with posting updates on a car like this is that everyone has distinct ideas of how they think it should be done. I'm almost afraid to post up updates sometimes :D The car should sit somewhere between a purists dream and a modifiers dream once its finished, if that makes sense.

I still have the Tec 1 kit sitting at home, so will probably paint it and stick it on to see how it looks! I do want 16 inch alpinas on it - if I go all out I'd like a 5 stud hub conversion and 16 inch BBS M3 wheels, but thats a long way down the road.
                          1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Just a quick update...

I finished spraying the wing. The finish is nice and smooth - but not as smooth a job as a pro would do. Until it does get a full professional respray - this will have to do! I'm waiting on new arch liners to arrive so I only put the arch on loosely and put in two bolts to hold it while I buffed it.

Heres the arch after its last sanding:

After one pass with the porter cable:

I also got a new front valance from Germany - its a pattern part, the OEM is stupidly expensive.

After priming:

The old one came off easily enough, 4 bolts on top, 2 at the bottom, and one on each side holding onto the plastic lip.

The new one seems a decent fit - I'll know for sure when I'm aligning the wings.

Have an offside wing on its way to me along with the new fuel hose needed for the newer type sender unit.
                            Last edited by kdevitt; 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM.
                            1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Great progress. I plan to do some body and paint work on my schwartz 327 over summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamouscrew02 View Post
                                Great progress. I plan to do some body and paint work on my schwartz 327 over summer.
                                Go for it :D

As I said at the start, I've never done any of this sort of work before. If I really make a complete mess, I'll just get a professional to tidy it up for me! Not as much fun just paying someone to do it though.
                                1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Working...
                                X