Where there was one, now there are two.... a M42 318i for the boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where there was one, now there are two.... a M42 318i for the boy

I purchased this 4/1991 318i Sedan from a client at the shop where I work after we performed a "Whats it going to take to put this back on the road as a daily driver" inspection and the number just didn't make sense for him. It had been parked for 2-3 years prior is my understanding.

It has an indicated 193,573 miles, the odometer does in fact still work. I gave $500 for the car, plus taking care of the tow into the shop and the initial comprehensive inspection due to the shop.

I'd talked to the wife and both of us agreed it might be worth picking up as Nick (her son) is turning 15 in a few months and will be getting his permit. He most definitely ins't learning on my M5, and I'd rather not her X3 either lol.

It ran, albeit poorly. It would not even remotely idle, but if you held the throttle it would hang at 2500-3000 and run rough.

It is stuck in double lock, where the 3 doors aside from the drivers front are double locked and there is no opening them.
    The entire right side exterior lights are dead low beam aside (it has its own circuit), fuse 23 is blown, and as soon as you put a new fuse in it instantly blows. No idea where the short is, will have to find it.

Mechanically... where to start lol. It is a more or less original 193k car. It has a few new parts on it as I saw, but mainly a lot of original and expectedly worn out parts.

Todays task was simple. Attempt to get it running, and verify the engine was viable before sinking anything else into it.

I pulled the spark plugs and they stank like varnish (old gas) and were badly worn. I tossed those in the trash and installed 4x new NGK BKR6EK.

The intake air boot between the AFM and the throttle was badly dry rotted, hard as a rock and had torn open in numerous places. I installed a new boot straight from the dealer as best I could tell no aftermarket offering on that...

Next item to check was the ICV, which was seized with gum. A blasting with brake cleaner, a brush, and some fidgeting with a screw driver freed it up and got it moving without an issue, reinstalled that.

It looks like someone replaced the ICV hoses and much of the spaghetti under the intake not long before it was parked, those hoses were all in good shape.

The engine is sitting very low, particularly so on the passenger side.

The engine mounts are badly sagged, and the passenger side has completely torn through the subframe and worked its way near to the edge.

The control arms, bushing, tie rods and swaybar links all have play in them so it'll all get changed at once when taking the subframe out for repair and reinforcement.

What looks like H&R Sports and some sort of Bilstein dampers.

Differential speed sensor has never been fooled with, always like seeing the security wire and the stamped locking pill.

Next order of business was one of the clients complaints, the car leaked gas on the ground when running. All of the hoses around the fuel filter were badly dry rotted and needed replacement. Seen here with the rather heavy (soiled) fuel filter removed.

Replacing all of these lines means taking the fuel tank loose and letting it droop so you can fish new hose across the top. Both fluid lines changed on top of the tank, this was done through the open rear window as the door is still stuck closed LOL.

and new filter filter, complete with Oetiker clamp goodness.

We then drained the fuel tank of the nasty old gas and I put about 4gal of fresh 93 in it. After all of that was done it cranked and cranked and cranked until finally filling the lines with fuel it roared to life and proceeded to assume a steady idle. Yeeeeeeeeesssssss.

Nick and I let it warm up for about 5 minutes in the work bay, then bombed it around the parking lot a bit to make sure the clutch and brakes were operable before sliding out onto the main street and scratching 2nd with the old tires LOL.

The front end is definitely vague city with all the worn ball joints and tie rods, but that is an easy fix.

He's excited, and it looks like we're going to fix this one up for him as his first car and what he'll learn to drive on.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Nice. And its the right color, too !
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

A $500 semi-running and driving e30 in 2019? Wut?
      My Feedback

Comment

I'd love to find a M42 E30 for $500. I want one for parts so don't care what condition it's in.
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Indeed it is my fleet color, everyone at works jokes about it.

$500 does seem reasonable these days, but mind you having been charged with professionally evaluating the cars overall mechanical state I knew most everything going on with it that needed attention. I did tell the owner that I was certain he could get a bit more on Craigslist if he fancied dealing with the tire kickers and time wasters (we've all had that experience) but here we are...

The car has been in accident(s) the front looks like it was limited to the radiator support which looks like it was changed but not all that well being that I can tell.... the rear of the car looks like it was rear ended at some point and the tail panel was replaced. The trunk floor is ugly, and some very fast and dirty work was done to replace the tail panel which is starting to crack, paint flake, and rust form. In coming years that would need to be addressed.

Here is what I know needs attention before it is put into service:
          • Doesn't run, or idle FIXED
          • Active fuel leak FIXED
          • Fuse #23 blows instantly, short in RH lighting system
          • Central locking jammed in double lock, only drivers door operable
          • Axles rebuilt (boots almost torn through)
          • Front subframe torn, needs repair and reinforcement
          • Engine mounts badly sagged and torn
          • Transmission mounts badly sagged and oil soaked
          • Clutch pedal travel odd, very high with zero resistance and engagement point is immediately off the carpet
          • Front lower control arms have play in outer ball joints
          • Front control arm bushings are torn through, free floating
          • Front tie rods balljoints have play
          • Power steering belt removed, system bone dry, suspect steering rack leaking
          • Flex disc coupling cracked and torn
          • Needs at least 2 tires, realistically four
          • Badly delaminating and corroded chromed bottlecaps have to go
          • Rear muffler section of exhaust is rotted into obliviion
          • Throttle cable is broken at throttle body bracket, zip tied together
          • H1/H4 lenses on passenger side both broken
          • Engine air filter is very dirty
          • Brake fluid looks black as death
          • V belts are old and dry rotted, power steering belt is missing
          • Rear subframe bushings are very loose
          • Rear swaybar end links are loose
          • Has aftermarket stereo, but no face plate to be found in vehicle
          • BRAKE warning only light on instrument panel

Comment

thats a good start, get the boy wrenching and he can fix most of it himself...

I wouldnt help with the locked doors, this will ensure he doesnt give people a ride lol
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looks like a fun project, a good starting point, and a nice chance for him to learn. What more could you want

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Subscribed.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Very cool! When you replaced those fuel lines from the tank, how low does the tank need to be dropped? Can you simply leave everything else in place, unbolt the tank and let it hang, and then fish the lines through?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                    Very cool! When you replaced those fuel lines from the tank, how low does the tank need to be dropped? Can you simply leave everything else in place, unbolt the tank and let it hang, and then fish the lines through?
                    I removed both left most 13mm bolts and had Nick wedge a 1 inch block of wood between the tank and body while I hung from the tank to flex it down a bit. I was able to tape the new hose to the old and pull it right through.

Comment

Nice pickup for $500! Very interested to see how you attack a non concourse-quality build. It's always mind-blowing how perfect you are able to make everything but not always worth the cost/effort on an everyday driver. Will be nice to see how you go about fixing up something like this that's a little more down to earth and hopefully pick up some pointers.
                      '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                        Nice pickup for $500! Very interested to see how you attack a non concourse-quality build. It's always mind-blowing how perfect you are able to make everything but not always worth the cost/effort on an everyday driver. Will be nice to see how you go about fixing up something like this that's a little more down to earth and hopefully pick up some pointers.
                        I second that.
                        Great score and a noble cause to convert another one to the e30 crowd. Will be watching this with interest. All of good luck to you and the boy on this project!
                        '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Oh dang, I saw it on FB.

Nice find!
                          I do things.

Comment

Pulled the central locking control unit last night for inspection, and found more or less what I had expected to find. The thermal fuse had tripped, allowing the metal ground strip to flip away opening the control circuit which left the doors in double lock.

Also a bit of corrosion on the PCB as it looks like someone installed aftermarket speakers and robbed the two screws that hold the control unit bracket in place to mount the speaker. The bracket with module then fell sideways down into the rocker panel where I assume it got wet.

The corrosion brushed off and the thermal fuse was resoldered.

Reinstalled the control unit, and used some spare screws to properly mount the bracket... and like magic the door locks started to work again! Well sort of... the right rear door still doesn't open but the lock pin now moves freely, so something else is messed up in just that door. Regardless the drivers rear and passenger front now work so utility is much improved.

Comment

This is awesome...keep up the good work. Try not to steal the muffler :>)
                              1991 318is
                              2004 330ci
                              2011 335d

Comment

Working...
                              X